Another pump question.

kayak

Featured Posts

Morning all.

First a thanks to those who gave me advise last time I was asking about waste pumps for my showeer and bath. For the bath i have decided to go with a Whale Gulper, in-line with the waste pipe, on a manual switch.

Im assuming that due to the speed of the pump and the fact that i have a little bath i wont be any hardship for me to hold my finger down on a button for a few seconds or have an on/off switch (and not forget to turn it off!). what i would really like though is to use this same pump to empty my shower.

However, if I "tee'd" into the bath waste with the shower waste and due to the fact that the shower waste wouldn't supply water to the pump as fast as the bath would the pump start sucking air and spuluttering?

The only outcome i can think of is to have a gulper for the bath and a sump box type pump ( i know that these have thier faults) for the shower as these have a float switch.

Is it usual with a bath and shower to have two pumps or is there a way to rig just one up?

Please help, i want to order my pumps!

Many thanks.

Kayak.

Morning all.

First a thanks to those who gave me advise last time I was asking about waste pumps for my showeer and bath. For the bath i have decided to go with a Whale Gulper, in-line with the waste pipe, on a manual switch.

Im assuming that due to the speed of the pump and the fact that i have a little bath i wont be any hardship for me to hold my finger down on a button for a few seconds or have an on/off switch (and not forget to turn it off!). what i would really like though is to use this same pump to empty my shower.

However, if I "tee'd" into the bath waste with the shower waste and due to the fact that the shower waste wouldn't supply water to the pump as fast as the bath would the pump start sucking air and spuluttering?

The only outcome i can think of is to have a gulper for the bath and a sump box type pump ( i know that these have thier faults) for the shower as these have a float switch.

Is it usual with a bath and shower to have two pumps or is there a way to rig just one up?

Please help, i want to order my pumps!

Many thanks.

Kayak.

Just use the one pump.

The gulper dosn't mind coughing a bit of air through with the water.

I've had one in a previous boat and I switched it on when I got in the shower and switched it off when I got out. It got rid of the water faster than it went in.

I've now got a sump type arrangement on the shower for the current boat. It's a pain as the coarse filter get blocked. When it expires, its being change for a Whale

Just use the one pump.

The gulper dosn't mind coughing a bit of air through with the water.

I've had one in a previous boat and I switched it on when I got in the shower and switched it off when I got out. It got rid of the water faster than it went in.

I've now got a sump type arrangement on the shower for the current boat. It's a pain as the coarse filter get blocked. When it expires, its being change for a Whale

Thanks Proper Job.

Thats what i was hoping to hear. My idea in that cae is to put the pump in the main line with the shower and then bring the bath in on a tee just in front of the pump. Woul there be any benefit from putting the connections on a valve type arrangement so i can cut down on the amount of air drawn in, say from the empty shower pipe when pumping out the bath?

Cheers.

Kayak.

The Gulper is designed to run for 12-15mins dry (says it on the box somewhere), although it's not recommended to do that regularly.

Our bath pump is a gulper on a manual switch, with a tee from the bilge, so it can act as an extra bilge pump. It's particularly handy to use if someone is in the bath as any bilge water runs into that corner!

Even if the gulper is only taking say 30% water and 70% air per stroke, it's still not running dry. There is enough water to be lubricating the pump.

I forgot to say in my previous post - A seperate bath and a shower cubicle - you must like keeping clean :lol:

You can get non return valves which prevent the water flowing from the bath into the shower, they certainly come in 1" diameter, you may be able to get bigger ones. However as with anything on the waste side, you may need to clean the gunk out to keep them operating properly.

Ideally you don't want to clean both the shower and bath after having just a bath!

I'm experimenting with the Johnson "Ultima" Switch to turn on the Gulper. It has no moving parts, instead detecting the proximity of the water. I'm going to install it either inside, or hopefully, outside, a small sealed box, with the waste pipes connected using tank connectors. I'll let you know how I get on.

Lee

Even if the gulper is only taking say 30% water and 70% air per stroke, it's still not running dry. There is enough water to be lubricating the pump.

I forgot to say in my previous post - A seperate bath and a shower cubicle - you must like keeping clean :lol:

Im very dirty by nature! Its SWMBO who likes me clean :lol:

Joking aside, both hobby and work (some of it) can get quite grimy and i was more that content with just a shower. But, SWMBO clapped her eyes on this bath and decided she must have it! Now the whole bathroom (and most of my life it seems) must revolve around this damn bath!!!! It is nice, but due to the amount of water it will use can only be used as a treat, the shower will be be the main "cleaning machine". The bathroom is quite compact and even though i say it myself, quite well layed out. The boat is wide beam (11 foot fatty!) so we have the room.

K.

When fitting a shower (or bath) pump always ensure that the length of hose from the pump to the outside world is SHORTER than the length of hose from the shower (or bath) to the pump.

When you switch off the pump, the column of water on the exit side of the pump flows back through the pump and into the inlet hose. If this inlet hose is shorter than the outlet hose the (dirty) water will flow out of the shower or bath plug hole. .....yugh

Chris

When fitting a shower (or bath) pump always ensure that the length of hose from the pump to the outside world is SHORTER than the length of hose from the shower (or bath) to the pump.

When you switch off the pump, the column of water on the exit side of the pump flows back through the pump and into the inlet hose. If this inlet hose is shorter than the outlet hose the (dirty) water will flow out of the shower or bath plug hole. .....yugh

Chris

Top Tip - Mine always has a little water come back and collect in the centre around the waste after switching off.

However, if I "tee'd" into the bath waste with the shower waste......

Don't forget to take into account that if by mistake the bath water was allowed to flow into the shower tray it could overflow and flood your bathroom. (Water trying to find it's own level etc)

Don't forget to take into account that if by mistake the bath water was allowed to flow into the shower tray it could overflow and flood your bathroom. (Water trying to find it's own level etc)

That's a good point.

I was hoping to avoid that by use of the diverter valve that i would like to use. This way the pump will either empty the bath or the sink. So, if the bath is being pumped out, then the pipe to the shower will be cut off.

K

Top Tip - Mine always has a little water come back and collect in the centre around the waste after switching off.

It would be pretty simple to add a sufficient length of additional tubing between your pump and the shower waste to preclude this happening again. Just curl it loosely if space is an issue.

Chris

I feel compelled to re-iterate... sump pumps are rubbish if you're not really careful adn keep the strainers really clean. Our was a nightmare and acomplete waste of money... :lol:

You know you can get a sumpbox to go with the whale?

grey_waste_tank.jpg

http://www.whalepumps.com/marine/product_list/13/128/

I don't have the price to hand but can find out if it would be any use.

You know you can get a sumpbox to go with the whale?

grey_waste_tank.jpg

http://www.whalepumps.com/marine/product_list/13/128/

I don't have the price to hand but can find out if it would be any use.

As a sealed unit with no strainers that looks a bit more sensible than most. Would the float switch get gunked up and stick?

As a sealed unit with no strainers that looks a bit more sensible than most. Would the float switch get gunked up and stick?

It might but that is more associated with those smaller all in one units where the small bilge pump doesn't exactly have much suction with a Gulper doing the work I don't think it would be so much of an issue.

Johnson also do a similar unit to match their Viking 16 which is a slighty cheaper pump than the Gulper but also a very capable quality pump too.

Our bath pump is a gulper on a manual switch, with a tee from the bilge, so it can act as an extra bilge pump. It's particularly handy to use if someone is in the bath as any bilge water runs into that corner!

That's a great idea.

Also if the pipe from the bilge can be looped up high enough, there's no need for a valve to select either, just cover the plug hole. :lol:

cheers,

Pete.

• 2 weeks later...
Someone else has recomended a Jabsco 50880-110 Self-priming diaphragm pump. Any thoughts on this pump. The benefits i can see is that it is cheaper, and has a longer warrenty.

Kayak.

We have fitted them and they seem a good pump we have also sold quite a few too without any returns.

Yet again you can get 10% of the Jabsco shop price too.

Guest steve jenkin
Someone else has recomended a Jabsco 50880-110 Self-priming diaphragm pump. Any thoughts on this pump. The benefits i can see is that it is cheaper, and has a longer warrenty.

Kayak.

i use a jabsco pump, its brilliant, no hassle, and primes itself, have put a switch beside my light switch for it, no filter needed either