Sudden build-up of soot in a squirrel stove

JuliaM

Featured Posts

Hi,

I put my stove on last night, and left it on low overnight as I often do in the winter (the stove is a diesel squirrel stove). When I woke up this morning it had suddenly built up so a huge amount of soot that it had actually smothered and gone out. When I lit it last night there was very little soot - only enough to blacken the glass at the front. Does anyone know the possible causes for this and how to sort it out? As far as I can see the chimney isn't blocked, except by soot now of course!

Thanks very much!

Julia

Soot builds up in time.

Clean it out throughly including above the baffle plate.

Do you have a user manual; that should give you pretty detailed maintenance instructions.

If it was me (particularly if I was new to the fire / boating) I would get it checked over properly by experts before using it again.

Lockgate stoves on the web I believe are (one of) the companies to help.

Jo

Hi,

I put my stove on last night, and left it on low overnight as I often do in the winter (the stove is a diesel squirrel stove). When I woke up this morning it had suddenly built up so a huge amount of soot that it had actually smothered and gone out. When I lit it last night there was very little soot - only enough to blacken the glass at the front. Does anyone know the possible causes for this and how to sort it out? As far as I can see the chimney isn't blocked, except by soot now of course!

Thanks very much!

Julia

Funny that, I had the same problem with my Dickinson the last night we were on board, I put it down to insufficient air flow due to having the short cruising chiming on and not the proper double skinned one which costs an arm and a leg when it contacts a bridge. I think this led to a lack of draw so not enough air entered the burner pot, once the soot started it was a downward spiral. Its the first time it has happened to me in 7 years

Hi,

Thanks very much!

Julia

Hi :lol:

Simply sorted..bin it and buy a proper squirrell.Ive had them 20 years without fault yet I mistakenly put a diesel stove on one boat for a change some years ago..........expensive mistake, binned it..............

Regards

Tim