ASHBY PERV

canalchris

Featured Posts

I took our barge to Ireland two years ago! Or rather Frank Whitten Transport of Birr did, and they were great.

I also used Frank!

Pict7743.jpg

As you probably heard Frank died of terminal Leukemia not long after he took Eranest over.

At the time it was much cheaper to pay in Euro's and have an ROI firm take boats over to Ireland.

We shall be using a transport firm from NI, when Earnest leaves Ireland (which could be Cork to Roscoff, if we don't get a barge by then!)

I also used Frank!

Pict7743.jpg

As you probably heard Frank died of terminal Leukemia not long after he took Eranest over.

At the time it was much cheaper to pay in Euro's and have an ROI firm take boats over to Ireland.

We shall be using a transport firm from NI, when Earnest leaves Ireland (which could be Cork to Roscoff, if we don't get a barge by then!)

Ahh-that brings back memories of the day our barge left Sharpness on the back of Franks' trailer-possibly the most traumatic day of my life!

Yes, I had heard, it was extremely sad.

Looks like there's a fair bit of digging to do then, not only mud, but it looks like there's plenty of old chip shop oil barrels to pull out too!!! :lol:

And I presume you mean widening (taking out the towpath like other widened tunnels), or will it be pulled apart and completely rebuilt? :lol:

Yes, the Ulster Canal (3.6m wide locks) will rebuilt to the gauge of the Shannon-Erne Waterway (24m x 4.5m) and have the same smart-card electro-hydraulic operation*. This will require a rebuild of the lock chambers (some will be by passed to preserve a bit of heritage) and the removing of bridge towpaths. The tunnel in Monaghan is really a long bridge, under a road junction. It was built cut and cover. One end is presently blocked, with a tyre depot built on it.

* Don't laff, this actually works very well.

http://www.tuesdaynightclub.co.uk/Ireland_...ag/Pict5782.jpg

(You can see the card slot at the bottom)

Ahh-that brings back memories of the day our barge left Sharpness on the back of Franks' trailer-possibly the most traumatic day of my life!

Yes, I had heard, it was extremely sad.

Apart from Frank "loosing" Earnest for a day at Dublin Docks it all went like clockwork....oh well it all worked out well, Irish style. Graham Thomas gave us a free night at the Riversdale guest house.

After P&S weighed Earnest at 18.5 tons, we got away with a cheaper crane at the Ballinamore end, especially as Graham hi-jacked Locaboat's excellent wharf.

I will always do my trail boating like this...especially after the jack-knife incident that put Mrs TNC off trailboating in her Wildernii. :lol:

Seen his Dutch tug? I found that for him in Ireland.

Yes - it's moored outside the yard with a plywood box where the wheelhouse is going to be. Looks great and one of Phil's plans/dreams is to take it back to Ireland when he finally retires. Next time I'm down I'll ask him about it.

Yes, the Ulster Canal (3.6m wide locks) will rebuilt to the gauge of the Shannon-Erne Waterway (24m x 4.5m) and have the same smart-card electro-hydraulic operation*. This will require a rebuild of the lock chambers (some will be by passed to preserve a bit of heritage) and the removing of bridge towpaths. The tunnel in Monaghan is really a long bridge, under a road junction. It was built cut and cover. One end is presently blocked, with a tyre depot built on it.

* Don't laff, this actually works very well.

I hated those things on the Ballinamore Ballyconnell Canal (why didn't they stick with the original name? A lot more attractive than Shannon - Erne Link, which sounds like an inter airport shuttle service.). At one lock it let us in, allowed us to fill and then decided that was it - we couldn't exit the lock as it decided we were suddenly out if credit! And the operating console has a built in radio so that you can hear staff of Duchas (as it was then) shouting incomprehensible instructions to God knows who! Give me a rack and pinion any day. But that aside, it is a fantastic waterway.

I also used Frank!

Pict7743.jpg

We have contacted Rice Continental to discuss prices for something similar. We are not sure of the most cost effective route from Ireland into France - whether it is via the UK into Calais or direct to Roscoff. Unfortuneately,we do not know the area well enough to know where and how we could get onto the main canal system from there. We are waiting for our map to arrive so we can plan a route through France and back up into Holland. Maybe we can compare notes?

We have contacted Rice Continental to discuss prices for something similar. We are not sure of the most cost effective route from Ireland into France - whether it is via the UK into Calais or direct to Roscoff. Unfortuneately,we do not know the area well enough to know where and how we could get onto the main canal system from there. We are waiting for our map to arrive so we can plan a route through France and back up into Holland. Maybe we can compare notes?

Indeed.

If you want to contact me off list:

neil

at

tuesdaynightclub.co.uk

I have the firm, but I have not discussed routes with them, as due to the "credit crunch" I have not the faintest Idea what boat I will be going to France in, or what routes would be cheapest for someone with Sterling...ideally NOT Earnest.

I would like to do the Brittany canals/rivers but would not take a narrowboat in the English Channel (well not mine!)

I can live in hope that someone will eventualy sell me a Sagar for under 100K. :lol:

From Roscoff you've got as reasonable drive (hour and a half) to get craned into the Canals of Brittany BUT these are not connected to the maon canal system and a narrow boat is not a good vessel for the Bay of Biscay.

Be aware of the limitations of a narrow boat on some of these waters as well, I believe (but have no details) that someone had their boat taken to Calais, was lowered into the canal and the wash from the first passing barge took the rudder off.

A narrow boat would be ideal for the Britanny waterways though...

Bit early for this i suppose, but here goes, be aware on the ashby canal this spring /summer that we have a guy who thinks its acceptable to sunbathe naked on the towpath. last year my wife was jogging between bridges 20 and 21. she thought on approaching him that he was just having a sit on the grass until she realised that he did'nt have a stitch on, he turned onto his stomach as she passed.but she did'nt tell me for a couple of days.3/4 days later i saw this man in the distance in the same location and went to get my mobile from the boat, when i came back he was just driving away in a BSM driving school car,my wife had seen the car on the previous occasion. about three weeks later i was cruising in the same location and saw him again this time non towpath side laid naked in the grass, i am of the oppinion that this guy is getting some jollies out of his antics and although not exposing himself blatantly surely if a dedicated sunworshipper there are more suitable places avaible. gonna start carrying a catapult on roof of boat this year!!!

PS

I twice reported these incident to the cops, second time they had no knowledge of the first time i reported him, so much for gathering info and the police national computer!!

So the sum total of this is that some guy takes his clothes off, but covers up when somebody comes near.

Quite the opposite of a flasher then, and I fail to see what makes you think he is getting soem kind of cheap thrill from being seen.

You've called the cops at least twice. Would you care to explain what offence you think he has committed? If there is no offence being committed, are you guilty of wasting police time with your repeated reports of a non-offence?

I believe (but have no details) that someone had their boat taken to Calais, was lowered into the canal and the wash from the first passing barge took the rudder off.

Absolutely true - we met him a couple of times in something like a 30' cruiser-stern boat with wife and two large dogs (maybe better than dog and two large wives, but still a squeeze on the sort of canals found here.....!). He also later tied alongside a Danish cruiser with flared bows in a lock. He handed them his line and one of their crew tied it tight and went back into the boat. The lock keeper pressed the button and the top paddles opened rapidly which slewed him at an angle under the cruiser's bows, which meant water was then pouring into his fore end via the self-draining hole - the lock was self-draining into his boat! When I commented to him that he should never hand his line to some else as he should always be responsible for his own boat, he said "But they were good looking blondes and looked like Vikings; I assumed they knew everything about boats!". I never heard anything further of him, and presumably he fetched up in Valhalla on the Canal du Midi, along with so many others who only ever make the one-way trip.

(actually I've just recalled that Valhalla is for dead heroes - don't know if that is apposite or not)

Edited by Tam & Di

Absolutely true - we met him a couple of times in something like a 30' cruiser-stern boat with wife and two large dogs (maybe better than dog and two large wives, but still a squeeze on the sort of canals found here.....!). He also later tied alongside a Danish cruiser with flared bows in a lock. He handed them his line and one of their crew tied it tight and went back into the boat. The lock keeper pressed the button and the top paddles opened rapidly which slewed him at an angle under the cruiser's bows, which meant water was then pouring into his fore end via the self-draining hole - the lock was self-draining into his boat! When I commented to him that he should never hand his line to some else as he should always be responsible for his own boat, he said "But they were good looking blondes and looked like Vikings; I assumed they knew everything about boats!". I never heard anything further of him, and presumably he fetched up in Valhalla on the Canal du Midi, along with so many others who only ever make the one-way trip.

(actually I've just recalled that Valhalla is for dead heroes - don't know if that is apposite or not)

I'm afraid Valhalla has closed down. Another victim of the sharp decline in licensed premises.

I'm afraid Valhalla has closed down. Another victim of the sharp decline in licensed premises.

Our local 'Spoons was doing a roaring trade tast Tuesdaynight...Us and the old crinklies (perhaps that should be us old crinklies) drank the pub dry of IPA @99p.

Everyone was drinking like there was no tomorrow...perhaps that was true :lol: