Narrowstoves...

ThePiglet

Featured Posts

Hi,

It's COLD. Rather than run my generator to heat my boat as I work on it (no comments about working harder to break a sweat!) I've decided to skip the sink/water pump/ceiling/walls/steps stages and bring forward the 'Install stove' phase. Even if it be temporarily in a safe fashion.

My boat's only a 27ft springer so space is at a premium. I've pretty much set my heart on a 6 inch wide Davey Hot Pot but does anyone else have any other suggestions?

Searching Google for narrow solid fuel stoves isn't proving much use.

Due to the late hour I haven't checked out the links above...

But a year or so ago, we had a Boatman stove fitted in the back cabin of my parents narrowboat which measures around just over 6ft wide by around 10ft long and although I thought it may be a bit too warm, it does the job nicely and will stay in over night without too much trouble at all. I would definately recommend it.

The Boatman Stove

Edited by Liam

I'm going to have to place my stove between the end of my kitchen and dinette, what kind of air gap on the sides/back would the Boatman require?

With the Davey I was planning on having a stainless heat shield made up to go around the sides and back which would mean less space required.

When I bought my boat it had a Tor Gem stove and whoever put it in had left very little room around it - less than an inch in some places. Evrything got worryingly warm.

The Tor Gem eventually fell to bits and the only conventional stove I could find which was small enough to replace it was a Villager Puffin. I think the manual for that recommended a 4" air gap, but I could only manage a 3" gap all round without completely redesigning the interior. This seems to be enough, though, and I certainly feel a lot happier about keeping the fire in now.

I'm making a stove for my engine room, as space and cost are important i'll actually make one from a 6kg gas bottle. If you have a jig saw, drill and basic welding skill it's easy to make one. Plenty of web sites giving details, though some look better than others. When painted black they look rather good especially if you can get a second hand stove door to fit on it as I am. :lol: