Which time of year do you prefer for boating?

Philip

Featured Posts

I'd be interested to know your views please on the best time of year for boating.

Initially, people would say June, for the hot weather and long days, or August for the school holidays and again the hot weather.

However, from 2003, my main cruises in the year have been in the second week of Easter and in mid-late October and I actually really enjoy that time of year for boating, at Easter, we have long days, and often pleasant weather, without it being too hot, its busy, but not a bottleneck and the whole atmosphere seems calmer then, plus its good to get out on the water after the close season.

In October, its very pleasant I find, with some luxury scenic views of the golden leaves etc, we also seem to get sunny, but cool weather, perfect for locks and its also the best time to make use of the boat interior - walking back from the pub on a cold night and back into a nicely lit, coal stove warming boat - thats a good feeling too and generally, it isn't too busy then.

I've been on some June shortbreaks occasionally, but do you prefer the hot, dramatic style of boating in the height of summer, or the calm, cooler boating in March/April/October?

I think 1st/2nd week of september is good: the weather is generally fine, can be very warm. The days are reasonably long and there are relatively few boats about. May is also good, for much the same reason.

It really depends what you want from your boating, last year, we took a fortnight to go from Hawkesbury to Bablock Hythe on the River Thames and back. The weather was great, hot and sunny, it was sublime. On the other hand there is little better than waking up on a nice autmn morning with the mist still hanging over the water. The spring is good too with wildlife busing building nests etc. But one of my most abiding memories is travelling along the North Oxford from Coventry to Hillmorton by moonlight, listening to the pinging of the (very thin) ice preceding us along the canal. All of these are pleasant memories for me, so perhaps I am just either easily pleased or REALLY taken with the canals.

Tony Collins :(

Anytime boating better then anyother time not boating!

But really, its all about what you want.

- Peak Summer is nice and sunny and warm, but busy.

- Mid Winter is colder, but just as fun, and not a crowed.

- And the all the time in between is a comprimise between the two!

Daniel

Any time of year is great for boating, a bad days boating is always better than a great day at work. For me one of our most memorable occasions was New Year 2001. Moored at Braunston Puddlebanks the canal started to ice over about 3pm on the 31st. By the 1st the ice was over 1" thick and it stayed that way for about 4 days, perfect clear sunny days, the log fire roaring away, it was so hot in the boat that we had the front doors open. People were about on the towpath, many of them looking at us as if we were crazy!! I can understand, after all how many houses have their doors open in wintertime when its freezing outside!!. Perhaps I am in the minority here but we have always loved the canals in the wintertime, peaceful,isolated,calm and serene these words just don't apply to the height of the season, A truly magical time of year. Oh yes it does rain quite a bit too, but that only makes you appreciate the beautiful winter days all the more :rolleyes:

I took my 1st winter cruise in February of this year. Whilst it was very cold I must admit that it was very enjoyable. After all thats what gloves and hats are for!

We were lucky though because, even though it was cold, it was quite sunny for the whole week. Not sure how I would have felt had it rained all week (which is my usual holiday weather no matter where I go)