Beta Tug Engines

Steve3

Featured Posts

Hi Have had over 4 years with a Lister JP3 and have suffered so much down time and expence including a cracked cylinder liner causing presurization of the coolant, which is now happening again(so that is our Christmas two week cruise gone) that i am tempted to have a Beta Tug engine fitted to allow us to cruise with more reliability and a 3 year warranty.

Any comments good or bad would be appreciated.

Also any experiences of hydraulic drive?

Regards Steve

:lol:

Hi Have had over 4 years with a Lister JP3 and have suffered so much down time and expence including a cracked cylinder liner causing presurization of the coolant, which is now happening again(so that is our Christmas two week cruise gone) that i am tempted to have a Beta Tug engine fitted to allow us to cruise with more reliability and a 3 year warranty.

Regards Steve

[/quote

My first thought is to wonder why you'd consider hydraulic drive. Nothing wrong with it in itself, but assuming you've already got a conventional propshaft arrangement, it does mean a certain amount of alteration to an already tried and tested set-up. Is the JP really past it? It seems an awful shame to replace it with a Beta Tug engine. Again, alright for a modern engine, fairly large displacement, relatively slow revving etc. but is the cost to change going to be worth it? I should think seriously before you do this. There is at least one person on this forum who could probably help you out with the JP, and I imagine he'll make an appearance shortly.

Edited by johnthebridge

Regards Steve

My first thought is that if you do want to change it give me a shout esp if its the marine version with a blackstone box.....(and yes I'm serious!!)

My second thought is that most things on these engines are very fixable and when sorted they are a great engine that will out live you and your children....yes they take time and money to get there but at least you dont sound like a tractor!!

My third thought is that you may have a head gasket gone.....did you make sure the liner was just (ie a few thou) clear of the block when it was replaced....if they are flush you will get through headgaskets at an alarming rate! Also did you use the Copper/asbestos type of gasket cos there seem to be some right shoddy copies out there!

Having rebuilt my JP feel free to PM if you any help etc

Cheers

Gareth

In another life I would receive technical publications of all kinds, included in some of them was a regular advertisement for Kubota industrial engines.. One of their models was a 3 cylinder, 3 litre lump of an engine that looked good and peaked at 1,500 rpm.

I always promised myself that for my next boat, that was the engine that would sit in the engine room, I have often wondered if anyone else ever had the same idea but put it into practise.

In another life I would receive technical publications of all kinds, included in some of them was a regular advertisement for Kubota industrial engines.. One of their models was a 3 cylinder, 3 litre lump of an engine that looked good and peaked at 1,500 rpm.

That would be very similar to the John Deere which is 3 cylinder, 2.9litre, 1400 rpm max.

Steve, I have got a Beta Tug if you still need any info.

Ian

I would have that the best option would be to get the JP sorted.

Re-engining is never as straight forward as you may think and there are loads of hidden costs. You may have to end up re-proping, new/modified shaft, new engine bearers, etc, etc

Spend your money on the JP. I wouldn't change mine for the world (unless its for my National D3 - when I get it finished)

That would be very similar to the John Deere which is 3 cylinder, 2.9litre, 1400 rpm max.

Steve, I have got a Beta Tug if you still need any info.

Ian

Ian

Would you recommend a Beta Tug, some people think they have a harsh noise others say they are thirsty. How long have you had it/age. What gearbox and prop size, is it reliable.

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

I am not getting any younger and need a reliable engine with which to explore the network.

The Beta tug seems to be the only modern alternative to a vintage engine if anyone has other sugestions please let me know.

Thanks for replying.

Steve

Ian

Would you recommend a Beta Tug, some people think they have a harsh noise others say they are thirsty. How long have you had it/age. What gearbox and prop size, is it reliable.

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

I am not getting any younger and need a reliable engine with which to explore the network.

The Beta tug seems to be the only modern alternative to a vintage engine if anyone has other sugestions please let me know.

Thanks for replying.

Steve

If you want a vintage looking engine then the beta does look a bit like one, if you like the sound of a vintage engine the beta sounds like one at tickover, but it will sound like a tractor at higher revs, and wont sound like a JP3 for example at canal speeds, the more technical minded will explain better but its about power outputs within the rev range the vintage engine has the torque at lower revs big flywheel etc the beta doesn't

there alternatives longboat do a 2 and 3 cylinder "vintage" style engine

http://www.longboat-engineering.co.uk/pic2ywm.html

Charles

there alternatives longboat do a 2 and 3 cylinder "vintage" style engine

http://www.longboat-engineering.co.uk/pic2ywm.html

Charles

Interesting website - are the Greaves (Ruston & Hornsby) engines still produced and imported?

If so, the big three cylinder version would seem an ideal choice . . .

• 1 month later...

you invited comment so here goes, i have a beta tug JD3 in my 60" nb FAULKNOR, in 4 years its never missed a beat ,it does about a litre per hour , sounds loverly at slow speed and i think it blends into the background at cruising speed. its got enough power for any occasion and if you want there are enough copper and brass bits to tart it up. it runs a 23in prop at about 800 revs. i love it!!

you invited comment so here goes, i have a beta tug JD3 in my 60" nb FAULKNOR, in 4 years its never missed a beat ,it does about a litre per hour , sounds loverly at slow speed and i think it blends into the background at cruising speed. its got enough power for any occasion and if you want there are enough copper and brass bits to tart it up. it runs a 23in prop at about 800 revs. i love it!!

Thanks Canal Chris

Since my original posting i have ordered a Beta Tug engine, all sounds very positive. Having to wait till end of February for delivery so hopefully will be able to cruise end of March.

Regards Steve