The idiosyncrasies of a Gulper.

Smelly

Featured Posts

I've finally fitted a Whale Gulper 220 as a shower pump... No more cleaning filters, YAY! :lol::lol::lol:

It does seem to blow back quite ferociously, and can blow the, admittedly quite loose fitting, plug out of the bath or sink. Is this normal or have I missed something?

(Quick check) There's nothing left in the box apart from the invoice and an un-needed inline fuse holder

I've finally fitted a Whale Gulper 220 as a shower pump... No more cleaning filters, YAY! :lol::lol::lol:

It does seem to blow back quite ferociously, and can blow the, admittedly quite loose fitting, plug out of the bath or sink. Is this normal or have I missed something?

(Quick check) There's nothing left in the box apart from the invoice and an un-needed inline fuse holder

Hi Smelly

Very good pump, but I would advise you to fit a filter on the inlet. I know Whale say "no filter needed", but they also say virtually"Non Choke Valves" which implies something else.

From experience the worst thing in waste pipes is human hair mixed with soap, it turns into a sticky mess and the hair catches on anything obstructing the pipe ie pump valves. Which could be the cause of a blowback, an obstruction just holding the valve open enough to allow it to partially blowback, but the valve not open enough to stop it from pumping.

It's easier to clean out a filter than strip down a pump, the problem with filters is they generally aren't big enough you need to fit the largest one you can find for a 19mm pipe.

Edited by Big COL

I can't use a plug with our gulper either, but then again a plug is pretty pointless in a boat bathtub

Yes, and if your sink isn't gravilty drained Smelly, can you just not use a plug?

I only use a gulper for my shower and I've never noticed the blowback.

Hi Smelly

Very good pump, but I would advise you to fit a filter on the inlet. I know Whale say "no filter needed", but they also say virtually"Non Choke Valves" which implies something else.

From experience the worst thing in waste pipes is human hair mixed with soap, it turns into a sticky mess and the hair catches on anything obstructing the pipe ie pump valves.

It's easier to clean out a filter than strip down a pump, the problem with filters is they generally aren't big enough you need to fit the largest one you can find for a 19mm pipe.

I've used my gulper for nearly 4 years without a filter and it's still fine.

Edited by blackrose

Yes, and if your sink isn't gravilty drained Smelly, can you just not use a plug?

I only use a gulper for my shower and I've never noticed the blowback.

I've used my gulper for nearly 4 years without a filter and it's still fine.

Hi blackrose

This does depend upon the length of hair and the frequency of losing it :lol:

I have short hair and although it's departing at a scary rate it holds no threat to any pump valves. Joy on the other hand has long hair and although not showing any signs of balding :lol: is capable of blocking both shower waste at home, and the filter for the shower on the boat.

Joy on the other hand has long hair and although not showing any signs of balding :lol: is capable of blocking both shower waste at home, and the filter for the shower on the boat.

Not both at the same time, surely ? :lol:

We have an impeller pump emptying the shower tray, currently with no filtering - something I consider less than ideal. As I had that bit of the bathroom apart on Friday, I decided to open it up. I was surprised to find not a trace of anything in it. Maybe it's not up for replacement at the moment then. It is bl**dy noisy though, despite being on mounts made out of rubber grommets.

Well, I've rather long hair and I've wondered, however the idea of no filters is so attractive I'm going to try it. As I've said it's a 220; "the big one" so the fella who couldn't tell 19 from 25mm pipe :lol: said yesterday, so maybe it can pull it all through.

I would hope it's not every other shower it needs cleaning, as it was with the last pump, now residing ungracefully on the stern deck!

edited to make sense!

Edited by Smelly

Well, I've rather long hair and I've wondered, however the idea of no filters is so attractive I'm going to try it. As I've said it's a 220; "the big one" so the fella who couldn't tell 19 from 25mm pipe :lol: said yesterday, so maybe it can pull it all through.

I would hope it's not every other shower it needs cleaning, as it was with the last pump, now residing ungracefully on the stern deck!

edited to make sense!

Perhaps, for those lucky enough to have long hair, one of those plug hole sieves is all that's really needed.