conserving power

mikevye

Featured Posts

I'm leading a double life at the moment living on the boat for the majority of the time with alternate week-ends spent off it. Can't help but notice the difference in my approach to reserving resources. When in a house I never think twice about the lights being left on, constantly running the tap when doing my teeth, flushing the toilet on every occassion as opposed to if its yellow let it mellow. Central Heating left on all day. Onboard at the moment everything is turned off including the fridge, I wouldn't dream of leaving power/lights on and wrap up warm useing the heating only if absolutely bloody freezing. A bowl of water does the lot from the head down and washing the dishes becomes a science. Applied to a house the savings would be substantial but why would you want to?

I'm leading a double life at the moment living on the boat for the majority of the time with alternate week-ends spent off it. Can't help but notice the difference in my approach to reserving resources. When in a house I never think twice about the lights being left on, constantly running the tap when doing my teeth, flushing the toilet on every occassion as opposed to if its yellow let it mellow. Central Heating left on all day. Onboard at the moment everything is turned off including the fridge, I wouldn't dream of leaving power/lights on and wrap up warm useing the heating only if absolutely bloody freezing. A bowl of water does the lot from the head down and washing the dishes becomes a science. Applied to a house the savings would be substantial but why would you want to?

Having just jumped out of a hot bath, taken lunch out of the freezer and chucked another log on the fire, I've fired up the broadband again and put the 24 hour news on the widescreen to catch up, so I would totally agree with you! :lol: I love my fifth Winter on the boat!!

Roger

What about buck it and chuck it?

Seriously though, you should want to save energy in the house for the sake of the ole' carbon footprint. All the water you've not used hasn't been processed, all the lights you've switched off haven't burned the fuel used to generate the electrickery, never mind not having pushed the price of it up even further, and I come nicely to the money you've saved whilst polishing your halo.

One of the main reasons I like this boating existence is that with a relatively small outlay I can reduce my footprint on the world and, even though I don't have/want kids I'd hope somewhere in a few years the kids that aren't choking on the fumes I've left behind might look at the examples we've set now and lead a more sustainable existence themselves.

Here's hoping!

edit...

Regards

Smelly (I'll remember to log SWMBO out next time)

Edited by Bagpuss

One of the main reasons I like this boating existence is that with a relatively small outlay I can reduce my footprint on the world ..................and lead a more sustainable existence...........................

Here's hoping!

Regards

Smelly

.......are you counting the footprint of the hull's steel processing plus the wood's processing used in the fit-out and the coal/wood you burn plus the inevitable diesel (and its processing too)?

Are you a nut -eater and wear sandals? :lol:

.......are you counting the footprint of the hull's steel processing plus the wood's processing used in the fit-out and the coal/wood you burn plus the inevitable diesel (and its processing too)?

Are you a nut -eater and wear sandals? :lol:

Got to be less than a house costs environmentaly.

Justme

Good job you're not home all week! :lol:

Xxx

Got to be less than a house costs environmentaly.

Justme

S'wat I reckon.

It's a lot easier to be burning wood instead of gas, we use an awful lot less 'lecktrickery and to address your point Chris, every brick in my old house had been kiln baked (although I expect yours is stone you rich bleeder!) so I think my steel boat used less energy in the build.Especially being as it's a scouser and they're hardly renowned for hard work are they? :lol:

Mmmmmm.... Plugged in for the weekend to real live electrickery. More than one light on at a time, unlimited computer use, and the radiator on in the bedroom so's I don't have to wear my fluffy hat and bedsocks. And no engine noise or fumes. Will go back to being frugal on Monday once the batteries are feeling nicely charged but for now it's luxurious heaven!!

Mmmmmm.... Plugged in for the weekend to real live electrickery. More than one light on at a time, unlimited computer use, and the radiator on in the bedroom so's I don't have to wear my fluffy hat and bedsocks. And no engine noise or fumes. Will go back to being frugal on Monday once the batteries are feeling nicely charged but for now it's luxurious heaven!!

But... think of the kittens!

God this boat sounds worse than a prison sentence

God this boat sounds worse than a prison sentence

No its a boat where the owner works full time and can only run the engine for a limited amount of time and has no access to a convenient water point which is why I put the post on.

No its a boat where the owner works full time and can only run the engine for a limited amount of time and has no access to a convenient water point which is why I put the post on.

God sorry mate, I feel for you, where are you?

Sounds like what you need is a wifey to keep you warm lol

Have you got neighbours you trust? Water conservation's always a bleeder but at least someone could pop in and run the engine, possibly light the fire for you? If you're diesel heated then someone running the engine would probably mean you could warm up a bit easier and reduce the wooly jumper quotient.

God sorry mate, I feel for you, where are you?

Sounds like what you need is a wifey to keep you warm lol

In the absence of the gadjus Lady Di recovering after bringing our son Adam 11lbs 1oz into this world I have to make do with Charlie the Schnauzer who insists on taking me for a pint every night and doubles up as a guard dog!

In the absence of the gadjus Lady Di recovering after bringing our son Adam 11lbs 1oz into this world I have to make do with Charlie the Schnauzer who insists on taking me for a pint every night and doubles up as a guard dog!

Awww can I be the first to congratulate you?

I will anyway Congratulations boating friend.