Too much work...

nursegrowl

Featured Posts

I've been offered a 60 ft new Shell for 10 grand, has nothing but doorsand windows...so no ballast/insullation/battons/engine etc.............

I'm really upset, as its too much work too do. My bloke is a joiner, and has many very good welder mates...but I'm still worried as we have little experience in working on boats................*CRY*

Do other people agree its too much to do??

Just need other opinions please............

It's as good a hobby as any.

As a failed build-from-new-hull er, -er I thoroughly enjoyed the experience and can't wait to have another go when circumstances permit. Probably easier than refurbishing an existing, and if you're ingenious it needn't cost that much. I ended up spending £18k in total incl. hull (a few years ago!) so I suppose about £25k total would see a reasonable boat.

If you keep it simple there's nothing rocket science about the job; most important item is boundless enthusiasm and patience.

It the time was right I'd have it. Mind you, I do have an engine!

I've been offered a 60 ft new Shell for 10 grand, has nothing but doorsand windows...so no ballast/insullation/battons/engine etc.............

I'm really upset, as its too much work too do. My bloke is a joiner, and has many very good welder mates...but I'm still worried as we have little experience in working on boats................*CRY*

If you have good friends to help it is definitely possible. We did it and hubby has no diy skills whatsoever. It took 18 months working a 5 day week and 20 yrs later we are still living in it.

Sue

The shell with doors and windows is cheap at 10k ... if you look at new , the shell alone is at least 13-15k's worth depending on who's built it, the only problem with one thats already windowed is you are limited to layouts as the windows wont necessarily be where you wan't them.

Hi Nusie.

Impossible to form an opinion, £10K for a 60 foot shell can be a bargain or it could be an over-priced lemon, it depends on several things, most important who made it, second what is the general quality of the build including steel thicknesses..

Can you give us more info, even photo's general and close detail.

Don't underestimate the amount of time it will take. It took us fifteen years to restore a josher wreck and five years to restore the butty.

It's perfectly possible to all the fitting out yourselves. We learnt as we went along. My only advice is don't try to be too ambitious - go for simple systems and copy what others have done. There's plenty of good advice available. Go for it!!

Provided it's new, and well made by a reputable builder, then even in today's depressed market £10K sounds remarkably good value for a 60 foot shell with the windows in.

As John says, its hard to form a view without more detail, but at that price I'd be seriously thinking about what might be possible.

My concern would be that from previous posts you have made, I don't think your budget is large, so you do need to seek advice on how much more it will cost you to turn it into what you want, even if you do the lion's share of the work yourselves.

Unfortunately whilst the price of fitted boats is falling, the cost to fit out an unfitted boat certainly is not, probably making it less appealing to go down that route, right now.

Alan