Continuous Cruisers

John Orentas

Featured Posts

...Someone had been studying Archimedes.

John, im not one to be picky, and i certainly cant talk, but...

............ shouldnt that be Someone hadnt been studying Archimedes?

:D

- Only messing :D

There is an aqueduct somewhere in the midlands, can't remember which one, for donkey's years there was a notice at each end.

"Only one boat is allowed on the aqueduct at a time"

Someone had been studying Archimedes.

22519[/snapback]

Some rules dont make sense. There was Curdworth Tunnel with its 'Keep to the Right' notices - it used to be a laugh. I dont know if they are still there as I've not used the B & Fazeley for a long while.

PS Archimedes ideas were a bit screwed but they worked! John are you sure its Archimedes - or is it the Bernouli effect you're thinking of? (If thats the one I cant remember it just rings a bell!)

Edited by fender

Yeah, the bath tub guy?

22528[/snapback]

Coriolis effect? Where the bathwater goes round and round in the same rotation as the earth?

PS - From your Wikipedia re Archimedes: "The buoyant force is equal to the weight of the displaced fluid."

I was thinking of the other one where the pressure of water alters as a channel narrows eg Bernoulli effect... which is the right one? I was thinking maybe the aqueduct could have been affected by the Bernouli rather than Archimedes? Correct me if I'm wrong. But on the other hand if a boat displaces exactly the weight of water it is in (Archimedes) then it shouldnt have made a difference to the aqueduct.

Edited by fender

Coriolis effect? Where the bathwater goes round and round in the same rotation as the earth?

No?

He's the guy who figured out that, for anything the floats, the wieght of the water it displaces weights exactly the same and the object do the displacing.

- Its how the aderton boat lift worked, and still can. but often doesnt.

Daniel

No?

He's the guy who figured out that, for anything the floats, the wieght of the water it displaces weights exactly the same and the object do the displacing.

- Its how the aderton boat lift worked, and still can. but often doesnt.

Daniel

22532[/snapback]

And its the same reason why a lot of pioneering canal boat lifts failed. Its not easy to get water to do what its supposed to do is it?

Surely that makes sense in terms of how a better weight distribution reduces pressure on the road surface? However its not what we are looking at on the canals is it? We are talking about CC's arent we? How does this weight distribution philosophy equate with this discussion on CC's?

22514[/snapback]

Hi Fender

It equates by showing as an example, another fair and just method of taxation. In my reply to Richard on the subject of CC I had stated that the cost of the license is according to length, a question was asked is this fair? This was then compared to car road fund licenses and the like. Things do tend to wander off topic, but are still related to the main theme. I assume Archimedes was the first CC. :D

Guest st170dw
Good grief this is hard work. 

John; "I got locked up for something I didn't do"

Daniel;  "What didn't you do"

John;  "I didn't wear gloves"

Basil Brush 1973.

22546[/snapback]

You got locked up for impersonating Derek Fowldes?

Good grief this is hard work. 

John; "I got locked up for something I didn't do"

Daniel;   "What didn't you do"

John;  "I didn't wear gloves"

Basil Brush 1973.

22546[/snapback]

Boom! Boom!

I assume Archimedes was the first CC.  :D

22558[/snapback]

You got it! He was Continuously Continuous. Thats why he invented the screw pump - he saw the potentials in the use of a thread that went on and on aimlessly - like this one (the final final final 10 to the power of 2 topic)

Edited by fender

In order to enhance and embellish the adorns on this thread. there are two items today on Narrowboat World. One is an email, and another is by Geoff. At least there is now getting some recognition there that different groups need different targetting - and genuine CC's shouldnt pay extra. End of thread for me.

Edited by fender

Quote:

I assume Archimedes was the first CC.

You got it! He was Continuously Continuous. Thats why he invented the screw pump - he saw the potentials in the use of a thread that went on and on aimlessly - like this one (the final final final 10 to the power of 2 topic)

Unquote

Gawdeary me, just as I was getting thoroughly bored with this topic, the comments give me the biggest laugh I have had in a lunchtime since I don't know when. Thanks guys!!!

Recently I've been thinking that boats should be licensed not by their length, but by their area of contact with the water, (ie per square foot). Currently a 40ftx12ft boat costs less to license than a 60ftx7ft boat, yet takes up 60 square feet more room on the cut or river. Hence the proliferation of short fat boats. Any takers ?

Hi Dor

Might be  :D

22617[/snapback]

hello.im new to this forum and have read all of this debate but i am confused.

over the past few years i have dreamt of selling my house,paying off all debts

mortgage etc,buying a narrow boat and investing what is left long term to give me a small income enough to survive on my boat and cruise the waterways (legaly)

for the rest of my natural etc.is what i am wanting to do so wrong.i would have thourght this was everyones nirvana.i also was lead to believe that by paying your

liscence fee to BW entitled you to moor anywhere on the system that wasnt restricted,private etc. tell me have i got this wrong and is my bubble about to burst......

hello.im new to this forum and have read all of this debate but i am confused.

over the past few years i have dreamt of selling my house,paying off all debts

mortgage etc,buying a narrow boat and investing what is left long term to give me a small income enough to survive on my boat and cruise the waterways (legaly)

for the rest of my natural etc.is what i am wanting to do so wrong.i would have thourght this was everyones nirvana.i also was lead to believe that by paying your

liscence fee to BW  entitled you to moor anywhere on the system that wasnt restricted,private etc. tell me have i got this wrong and is my bubble about to burst......

22688[/snapback]

You and me both, me 'ansom, you and me. Toe-rags is going to foul it for sure. :D