Lister JP2

Chubby Chaser

Featured Posts

I've managed to snap the crank on my JP2. Has anyone got any suggestions as to where I can source a replacement?

I've got a JP4 and did have a contact for spares which may have been through Lister themselves. I will see if I can dig it out.

Firstly, is this a marine crankshaft or a stationary one? You'll probably struggle for a replacement to the former. Inevitably the likelyhood is you'll only obtain either a used one, or possibly a complete engine. And if the engine is any any good, well, you know the rest. Do you have engineering facilities available? I have one or two people I can speak to, and will let you know. Jog my ageing memory if you don't hear from for a week.

Thanks for everyone's comments. I've been stuck at Cromwell lock for the past few days with limited internet access. MAY have found a crank, but they are like hens' teeth. Need a marine one really, but understand that it is possible to convert an industrial crank, which should preferably be a forged one.

The joys of an old engine. They sound wonderful, but when they break.........................

I have another problem. Really need to get off the river onto the Trent and Mersey. Am exploring various options but if anyone is going my way I would welcome a tow. All suggestions welcomed. Am presently coming to terms with the whole breakdown being a VERY expensive experience.

Should add the crank is the main crankshaft. Around 3" diameter. Snapped in middle of rear big end. Symptoms are severe vibration and loss of oil pressure. Not what you want when pushing against the flow on the tidal Trent. (Not so bad when I was going up but around 15ft of "fresh" top side at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...
At an NEC trade show in April there was a crankshaft manufacturer's stand caught my eye as they would build one offs. I'll see if I can dig out the leaflet....

It would appear that I have filed it..... :lol:

Found it.... :lol:

It's the same firm as mentioned by Dennis R. :lol:

Edited by Hairy-Neil

Thanks. I'll give them a try. I MAY have found a crank but am still looking.

Best I can come up with is an industrial one. It's standard, and will want grinding, and machineing to suit the marine application. Crank is £250, and the rest will come to £12/1300 I would have thought. Sorry, best I can do.