It was only a matter of time

Neil.A

Featured Posts

You will find that sited caravans are required to be a set distance apart for exactly this reason, why should boats be different? The point about gas bottles is that another boat could cause your bottles to be hazard wherever they are and his bottles are an even bigger danger if he's too close.

So to re-ask my question in a previous post....

Do you close down all pontoon mooring in marinas, where the boats are literally rubbing each other ?

Most boats carry gas cannisters, most have large tanks of petrol or diesel as well ..

Its always a risk surely? Everything is.

That's why we have insurance and its why we have the BSS.

- Hobbs

The boat in question had no insurance, as I mentioned earlier.

Do you close down all pontoon mooring in marinas, where the boats are literally rubbing each other ?

What would the HSE say?

Ahh, one of the pissing contestants. What in all thats holy, has terraced houses got to do with all of this? Blocks of flats?? household??

I live on a boat next to other narrowboats with 10 feet between. In case you hadn't noticed, this is a boating forum not the Bradford and Bingley.

How rude!

At least have the decency to be civil to people who dont agree with your point of view and not just resort to abuse. For your info I also reside on a boat with inches between.......

The point about houses is.....they have connecting walls....blocks of flats have connecting ceilings/floors.What is the difference between your neighbours flat having a gas explosion or fire to your neighbours boat? At least with the boat you can cast off and make some distance.

What would the HSE say?

What about broad locks ?

Do you refuse to share in those, in case the boat next door "goes up" as you are locking through.

With engine running, and all services turned on, it surely represents a bigger fire/explosion risk than a boat on it's moorings.

OK, I know you are "connected to" it for a whole lot less time - I accept that, but hemmed in by a deep walled lock such an incident could quickly become a whole lot worse.........

Guest TerryL

Yes if needed to be safe and who wants to be that close to other people anyway? They are not sqeezed in for your benefit are they?

How rude!

At least have the decency to be civil to people who dont agree with your point of view and not just resort to abuse. For your info I also reside on a boat with inches between.......

The point about houses is.....they have connecting walls....blocks of flats have connecting ceilings/floors.What is the difference between your neighbours flat having a gas explosion or fire to your neighbours boat? At least with the boat you can cast off and make some distance.

Thats the idea.

If you had a decent point to put across, I wouldn't give you any "abuse". You have no point, you still keep referring to blocks of flats, ceilings, floors, flats...

If you want to moor inches away, thats up to you me owd duck.

Thats the idea.

If you had a decent point to put across, I wouldn't give you any "abuse". You have no point, you still keep referring to blocks of flats, ceilings, floors, flats...

If you want to moor inches away, thats up to you me owd duck.

LOL

then abuse away chuck

If you cant see the corelation then you are to be pitied

What about broad locks ?

Do you refuse to share in those, in case the boat next door "goes up" as you are locking through.

With engine running, and all services turned on, it surely represents a bigger fire/explosion risk than a boat on it's moorings.

OK, I know you are "connected to" it for a whole lot less time - I accept that, but hemmed in by a deep walled lock such an incident could quickly become a whole lot worse.........

What have locks got to do with mooring? If you disagree with my point, say so and give a good argument against and 'll listen. Don't try and concoct some piss poor analogy.

LOL

then abuse away chuck

If you cant see the corelation then you are to be pitied

I'd sooner be pitied on an internet forum, than dead by someone elses selfish actions.

What have locks got to do with mooring? If you disagree with my point, say so and give a good argument against and 'll listen. Don't try and concoct some piss poor analogy.

I'd say it was a good point. If you feel there should be a safe distance between moored boats, then does that equate (in your view) to a minimum distance between moving boats? In either situation, by accident or by deliberate action a boat could still catch fire and there-by cause damage to other boats.

I'd sooner be pitied on an internet forum, than dead by someone elses selfish actions.

Again Neil, you are being rude to someone else who is making the corelation of being close to other boats as I was making the point that most people live alongside others yet because they disagree with you, you refuse to see their point and so go off on one.

What distance would you wish to see between boats and should that distance also be maintained when cruising....or is that another "piss poor" question?

Guest TerryL
How rude!

Residential buildings are required to have at least an hours fire resistance between them, this also gives the residents a reasonable time to escape, you don't get that on a boat. A gas explosion is most likely to exit and exhaust itself at the front and back of the house through windows etc. A boat blast would be in all directions. You may be asleep and may not be able to cast off your boat in all circumstances especially if moored too close to a raging fire with gas bottles about to explode! Even the fire service won't go close if gas bottles are involved. I don't think you have any idea.

Perhaps I'm not particularly well read on the subject but can anyone give me some examples of a fire on one boat spreading to several others? From my limited experience of the subject the resulting damage is usually limited to paint damage on nearby boats much the same as if your neighbours car catches fire in the street. Surely one of the 'bonuses' of life on the cut is that there is always some water nearby to help extinguish the fire and cool your own boat!

I also think another poster has also raised the perfectly valid point that if there were minimum mooring distances who on earth would police it. I suppose the only real solution would be that when you pay for your mooring you also have to pay for the additional 25feet either side of your boat in which you can have your 'exclusion zone', I'm sure BW would have no objection to doubling your mooring fees for this minor comfort!!(you don't think you'd get it for nothing surely???)

Edited by Wanderer Vagabond

Now the argument has gone to moving boats...ffs

Have you guys been on the pipe? I'll try and make it a tad simple.

Boats moored with a decent space between them, so if anything untoward happens it reduces the risk to other moored vessels.

^ ^

Any problems with that?

Edited by Neil.A

If we are talking about risk, I suppose that we had better get all of the tunnels on the system closed and filled in, after all the consequences of a fire in a tunnel doesn't bear thinking about (remember the alpine tunnel fire a few years ago?). This thread seems to epitomse everything that is wrong with this country these days, everything is risk assessed and everyone becomes risk averse trying to remove all risk altogether from life.

Life is a risk and I don't know of anyone yet who has got out of it alive!

Residential buildings are required to have at least an hours fire resistance between them, this also gives the residents a reasonable time to escape, you don't get that on a boat. A gas explosion is most likely to exit and exhaust itself at the front and back of the house through windows etc. A boat blast would be in all directions. You may be asleep and may not be able to cast off your boat in all circumstances especially if moored too close to a raging fire with gas bottles about to explode! Even the fire service won't go close if gas bottles are involved. I don't think you have any idea.

Your right, I have no idea.

Fire is a terrible and scary element and if you think you wont have enough time to evac you boat in the event of a neighbours misfortune then you really are best moving to a spot away from any other vessel.

In the real world we all know the risks and associated risks and take whatever precautions we can to deal with those risks should they occur. I really dont think a minimum safe distance between boats is required. What is required is that all boats conform to the current safety legislation.

so taking your points as read what is the safety distance for a canister exploding? The last house i saw that had a gas explosion was on the news and it looked fairly well demolished. But should you not be careful in your complaint least BW instead of granting more morning space simply choose to ban Gas cylinders solving the problem in a different way?

"I'd like my life not to be ended prematurely by the actions of others, ta very much."

Do you drive a car? Could happen any day then!

I drive 2 tons of Toyota 4x4. Gives me the edge.

Edited by Neil.A