It was only a matter of time

Neil.A

Featured Posts

Here.

Here.

Last night this boat was burning like a furnace. The fire crew managed to put it out, but not before 2 other boats sustained slight damage. No one was injured. Luckily no gas was on board the boat. This happened 30 metres away from my boat. The boat had no insurance.

Neil,

In the link you have given the complaint was about what was seen as dangerous use of LPG.

But in this thread you say no gas was aboard.

Obviously gas wasn't the cause, then - so I still don't follow the "it was only a matter of time".

What have I missed ?

Alan

Neil,

In the link you have given the complaint was about what was seen as dangerous use of LPG.

But in this thread you say no gas was aboard.

Obviously gas wasn't the cause, then - so I still don't follow the "it was only a matter of time".

What have I missed ?

Alan

It was only a matter of time, before a boat moored too close to another caught fire and inflicted damage to one other or more boats.

Or are you beng pedantic?

sorry for being dumb but was this the same boat you referred to in the previous thread?

I dont think it was the same boat

"It was only a matter of time, before a boat moored too close to another caught fire and inflicted damage to one other or more boats. "

and this was the next reply

"

I wrongly interpreted you to think that the boat you thought might catch fire had caught fire.

I now understand this is a different boat."

So I am assuming that it was a different boat, but I am not totally sure either !!!!!

It was only a matter of time, before a boat moored too close to another caught fire and inflicted damage to one other or more boats.

Or are you beng pedantic?

I don't think Alan was being pedantic, but you could have been a tad clearer with your initial post but thanks for the clarification.

Not all of us have complete recall with which poster has posted what threads on which subject, so a headline like "Perhaps I had a point about mooring boats close together" with a link to your previous thread could have helped. (I'm not being sarcastic, by the way, just making a point.)

Anyway - any news on what/who caused the fire?

Bloody Hell, that's Beeston cut isn't it?

I was moored just opposite the white cruiser in the background on friday evening.

Is it? I've been past there a hundred times and didn't recognize it! I keep meaning to steal a couple of the public mooring fenders .. :lol:

Amazing to think you can torch 40 square feet of highly flammable plastic and still not sink the bitch!

- Hobbs

Guest TerryL
Here.

Here.

Last night this boat was burning like a furnace. The fire crew managed to put it out, but not before 2 other boats sustained slight damage. No one was injured. Luckily no gas was on board the boat. This happened 30 metres away from my boat. The boat had no insurance.

Not much in it, was it empty?

My original thread was about boats being moored too close for safety. A number of members of this board gave me a flaming for apparently fishing for answers that would suit my cause for getting a boat that was moored up my arse shifted by legal means. One idiot on here decreed that we should all moor like a multistory car park, so's to fit everyone in, regardless of any other implications. It was a different boat (not that I see the relevance of the former threads title). Now, lets put aside the pissing contests that seem rife on this forum and look at this objectively. This cruiser caught fire, if it was moored one foot away either side from two other boats with a gas bottles stored externally on their sterns, there is a very good chance people would have been killed.. Do you now see where I'm coming from??

Guest TerryL
Is it? I've been past there a hundred times and didn't recognize it! I keep meaning to steal a couple of the public mooring fenders .. :lol:

Amazing to think you can torch 40 square feet of highly flammable plastic and still not sink the bitch!

- Hobbs

I hope you'll remember that when fitting your stove? :lol:

Guest TerryL
My original thread was about boats being moored too close for safety. A number of members of this board gave me a flaming for apparently fishing for answers that would suit my cause for getting a boat that was moored up my arse shifted by legal means. One idiot on here decreed that we should all moor like a multistory car park, so's to fit everyone in, regardless of any other implications. It was a different boat (not that I see the relevance of the former threads title). Now, lets put aside the pissing contests that seem rife on this forum and look at this objectively. This cruiser caught fire, if it was moored one foot away either side from two other boats with a gas bottles stored externally on their sterns, there is a very good chance people would have been killed.. Do you now see where I'm coming from??

Makes perfect sense to me.

A couple were living on it.

Any ideas as to what caused it?

What is the implication of having the gas bottles stored externally? Surely any boat catching fire with gas bottles on board can become a hazard. In fact it may be easier to send the gas bottles overboard if they aren't in a cabinet.

I am sure I am being dense about this but are you advocating that all boats should have a minimum distance between them when moored?

Sue

A long line of terrace houses....one catches fire, each either side suffers damage and in the days of open loft spaces the whole row could go up.

Im struggling to see your point.

For total reassurance that your boat wont get damaged should the worse happen to a neighbour then only moor where no there are no other boats.

Virtualy every household in the country runs the risk of their neighbours house causing damage.

Even worse if you live in a block of flats and the chap below you falls asleep with his chip pan on the hob.

I dont see it as being unique to boats

One idiot on here decreed that we should all moor like a multistory car park, so's to fit everyone in, regardless of any other implications.

I think possibly you are exaggerating what anybody actually said ?

Unless it's meant to be a quote, and you can show us the post it came from ?

If you consider there is a minimum distance a boat should be from it's neighbours, then can I assume you would shut down 95% of all marina pontoon moorings then ?

I don't sit one foot away from my neighbouring boat, and only end on. I lie side by side with his boat for the full 50 feet.

As others have asked, is there any clue to the cause of this particular fire ?

Cars are moving bombs, planes are massive inescapable death traps, helicopters, motorcycles etc etc etc etc. Only thing that seems relevant is the conduct of the owner and any individual concerns you may have as to safety. Beyond that, don't you think its a case of looking for an accident to happen?

Most boats carry gas cannisters, most have large tanks of petrol or diesel as well ..

Its always a risk surely? Everything is.

That's why we have insurance and its why we have the BSS.

What would you propose anyway and ultimately, who's going to enforce it? Heck I can't even get the police out to record a burglary, let alone investigate a 'dangerous watercraft'. I have called BW sixteen times this last week regarding an admin error on my license renewal and they keep 'passing it to a customer care manager' who never returns my calls. Bet your eye they'll be sending me a CCJ for non payment of the license next month though. Frankly, if it doesn't generate revenue nobody cares. These days you want action you have to be diplomatic and if that doesn't work out just move on or carry their water and buy the Daily Mail.

- Hobbs

Guest TerryL
What is the implication of having the gas bottles stored externally? Surely any boat catching fire with gas bottles on board can become a hazard. In fact it may be easier to send the gas bottles overboard if they aren't in a cabinet.

I am sure I am being dense about this but are you advocating that all boats should have a minimum distance between them when moored?

Sue

You will find that sited caravans are required to be a set distance apart for exactly this reason, why should boats be different? The point about gas bottles is that another boat could cause your bottles to be hazard wherever they are and his bottles are an even bigger danger if he's too close.

A long line of terrace houses....one catches fire, each either side suffers damage and in the days of open loft spaces the whole row could go up.

Im struggling to see your point.

For total reassurance that your boat wont get damaged should the worse happen to a neighbour then only moor where no there are no other boats.

Virtualy every household in the country runs the risk of their neighbours house causing damage.

Even worse if you live in a block of flats and the chap below you falls asleep with his chip pan on the hob.

I dont see it as being unique to boats

Ahh, one of the pissing contestants. What in all thats holy, has terraced houses got to do with all of this? Blocks of flats?? household??

I live on a boat next to other narrowboats with 10 feet between. In case you hadn't noticed, this is a boating forum not the Bradford and Bingley.