Kingfisher Diesel Engines

Featured Posts

Are there any members or guests on CWF who have a Kingfisher engine?

I have set up a contact point for owners who wish to learn more about their engines. The intention is to gather information on these engines and make it available for viewing on-line.

The engines were imported into the UK between 1991 and 1994 and installed in narrowboats by Black Country Narrowboats and other builders.

I have a KD 12, a vertical single-cylinder 12 HP diesel engine installed in an engine room on my 36' tug style narrowboat by the guy who fitted her out in 2000.

I have access to Owner's Manuals for the KD12 and KD26 and the Handbook for the KD36 and would like to add more.

Hi,

We have a Kingfisher KD26 installed in our 55' Black Country narrowboat.

Early days yet but so far I have been impressed with the KD26. It seems like a nice, simple, low revving engine.

I was initially concerned that spare parts would be hard to find.

I have since learned that the minor components like pumps and filters are generic and so can be replaced and it is only the major components that are hard to source.

Good luck with your project.

Now where are all those other Kingfisher owners?

Tugstyle

• 4 weeks later...

OK, so there are three of us! Thanks tugstyle for your assistance.

The website is up and running and can also be accessed via the General Interest subforum of the Links Directory in Canal World Discussion Forums Content section. This is a direct link to that entry.

I hope it will be useful to people searching for information on these engines.

I sometimes wonder about the more unusual engines some boats have. Sometimes there may be problems getting spare parts or finding engineers who are confident to tackle something other than a Vetus or Lister.

Sounds like a good idea you have.

I have set up a contact point for owners who wish to learn more about their engines. The intention is to gather information on these engines and make it available for viewing on-line.

The engines were imported into the UK between 1991 and 1994 and installed in narrowboats by Black Country Narrowboats and other builders.

I have a KD 12, a vertical single-cylinder 12 HP diesel engine installed in an engine room on my 36' tug style narrowboat by the guy who fitted her out in 2000.

I have access to Owner's Manuals for the KD12 and KD26 and the Handbook for the KD36 and would like to add more.

Dont forget the KD16! This is/was a KD14 mounted verticaly. The water pump was fitted on the front on the crankshaft. Not sure how 2 extra horses were obtained. I had one in my boat at one stage, but it consumed so much oil that I have now fitted a Beta.

Dont forget the KD16! This is/was a KD14 mounted verticaly. The water pump was fitted on the front on the crankshaft. Not sure how 2 extra horses were obtained. I had one in my boat at one stage, but it consumed so much oil that I have now fitted a Beta.

Hi Rogerd

Nice to hear from you. I hadn't forgotten the KD16. It is mentioned on page 5 of the Engines pages on the website and the Library includes installation instructions for it. I did know that it is the vertical version of the KD14 and will include that information in the next update.

What I need is a copy of the owners manuals and parts lists for the KD14/16, please?

(Edit) PS What happened to the KD16, did you scrap it?

Edited by bjornunda

Hi Rogerd

Nice to hear from you. I hadn't forgotten the KD16. It is mentioned on page 5 of the Engines pages on the website and the Library includes installation instructions for it. I did know that it is the vertical version of the KD14 and will include that information in the next update.

What I need is a copy of the owners manuals and parts lists for the KD14/16, please?

(Edit) PS What happened to the KD16, did you scrap it?

Last time I saw it was at B-on-A when there was a marine engineer there. Next time I pass that way will see if it still there.

Cheers roger

i have a kingfisher KD14 which i will break for spares unless anyone wants to make me an offer on the complete engine.

• 2 months later...

hi i am the owner of a kd 26 of which i am servicing the head due to a blown gasket.would you please let me know the torque settings for the head if possible,as i have lost my manual.alternatively do you know where i can find a manual.i have a manual for the gearboxif anybody needs any info.

here

hi i am the owner of a kd 26 of which i am servicing the head due to a blown gasket.would you please let me know the torque settings for the head if possible,as i have lost my manual.alternatively do you know where i can find a manual.i have a manual for the gearboxif anybody needs any info.

Hi,

Manual

Sheet 1-5

If I am reading it right is says:

Cylinder Head Nuts: 16 kg.m. or 115 ft.lbs.

I also have a KD26. Have you managed to obtain a spare gasket or are you having one made?

Hi,

Manual

Sheet 1-5

I also have a KD26. Have you managed to obtain a spare gasket or are you having one made?

Hi,

Manual

Sheet 1-5

hi thanks for the info.i am having one made ,toying with the idea of half a dozen if there is people out there interested,as i could fit and service the heads as well.

hi any info on remanufactured head gaskets as the quotes we are getting are in the £250 + region

Hi all

Looking at the photos it appears very similar to a Chinese Twin model 295 and gearbox I have in my garage. The manual I have says its made by the Fuzhou engine works and has a bore of 95mm and a stroke of 115mm. It is complete with a wooden box of new spares (including a head gasket, rings, seals and loads of other bits and even a starting handle) I originally purchased this for a narrowboat project but it has been superseded! Is this anything like a Kingfisher?

Wrinkley

Hi all

Looking at the photos it appears very similar to a Chinese Twin model 295 and gearbox I have in my garage. The manual I have says its made by the Fuzhou engine works and has a bore of 95mm and a stroke of 115mm. It is complete with a wooden box of new spares (including a head gasket, rings, seals and loads of other bits and even a starting handle) I originally purchased this for a narrowboat project but it has been superseded! Is this anything like a Kingfisher?

Wrinkley

Hi,

Sounds right. I have been told that the KD26 was a rebadged chinese engine produced by Fuzhou engine works.

Where did you get your model 295? Are they still made? It would be great if they are as the spares might fit the KD26.

Very similar. The fuel filter is higher up on the right no radiator and green (narrowboat engines have to be green) The distinctive inlet manifold looks the same. Mine has a funny sort of pre heater and a fuel supply to the inlet manifold.

A bit like this:

P7310187.jpg

Phaedrus025.jpg

I would like to add a pre-heater to mine. I want to be able to run it on SVO (vegetable oil) and apparently this helps.

So........... better put me down for having a KD26 then!

I have an engine, gearbox and a wooden box of new spares including a shinny starting handle for sale (engine is electric start)

wrinkley

Hi,

I might be interested in the spares and the starter handle. (mine is missing).

But really they should go to whoever buys the engine and gearbox.

Drop me a PM if you want to discuss.

Hi all

Wrinkley

The Fuzhou 295CE is very much like the Kingfisher KD26!! These were fitted with the MA100 gearbox and, I believe, were the base engine used to produce the KD26 (the water pump, fuel and oil filters are different). There was also a Fuzhou 295ACB fitted with an MA125 gearbox which may have been part of an agricultural range of engines but I don't have the specification for it.

I understand that a number of Fuzhou 295 and 395 engines were purchased from the liquidator when Kingfisher Diesel Engines Ltd ceased trading, some being installed in Allen boats, without being re-badged as Kingfishers.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello fellow kingfisher owners!

I am looking for a starter motor assembly for my KD14 - one of the gears has gone and I'm struggling to find a replacement. Can anyone help???

I've had it sent away to see if the gear can be manufactured but apparently it cannot.

Does anyone know of a suitable alternative starter motor for this engine?

Yours hopefully,

Duncan

• 3 months later...