Cevni certificate or equivalent

lauraonventurer

Featured Posts

Could someone please advise us with regard to Cevni. Apparently a Cevni certificate is required in addition to an ICC. An ICC can only be taken if one is British and a resident of UK.

If one is South African what does one do to obtain a Cevni or is there an equivalant certificate for other nationalities. My husband was a Master on commercial vessels (expired) He now holds a certificate for up to 25 ton commercial seagoing vessels etc. This was issues by SAMSA - South African Maritime Safety Association (Dept of Transport)

No one seems to be able to assist us. The RYA, while helpful does not issue the above to non Brits.

Do hope someone can assist. What do Americans, Canadians, Aussies etc do?

Could someone please advise us with regard to Cevni. Apparently a Cevni certificate is required in addition to an ICC. An ICC can only be taken if one is British and a resident of UK.

If one is South African what does one do to obtain a Cevni or is there an equivalant certificate for other nationalities. My husband was a Master on commercial vessels (expired) He now holds a certificate for up to 25 ton commercial seagoing vessels etc. This was issues by SAMSA - South African Maritime Safety Association (Dept of Transport)

No one seems to be able to assist us. The RYA, while helpful does not issue the above to non Brits.

As far as I know anyone can sit the CEVNI test. If you are here in the UK legally what is there to stop you simply enrolling on one of the RYA's courses? I'm sure they'll be happy to take the money off you.

Try the BW website.or iwa web site they may have some answers.Do you intend operating commercially on the inland waterways then?

Unlike here the person in charge of the boat, be it commercial or private, must have the CEVNI qualification in France, and indeed most of Europe. I've never quite understood the loophole that allows anyone to rent a hire boat in France with no such qualification, but if it is your own ship, you need it.

To obtain an ICC you must pass the CEVNI first, that is the correct order, the CEVNI is part of the ICC.

The RYA will issue the CEVNI and ICCs to UK nationals and UK residents. If you are resident in the UK no problem.

For further help send an email to: training@cruisingschool.co.uk

I would say the best place to ask is the Barge Association-

http://www.barges.org/

Full details of the ICC and CEVNI can be found on the RYA website here: clicky

The RYA will issue ICCs to both UK Nationals and UK Residents. If you are a UK Resident nationality is not a problem. If you are not a UK National or Resident, then the ICC will have to be issued by the relevant authority in your country of residence or nationality.

The application form (available here) states at the top:

ELIGIBILITY This certificate is available only to British citizens and bona fide British Residents over

the age of 16. Evidence of residency for non-citizens will be required in the form of a photocopy of a

driving licence, utility bill, Council Tax bill or bank statement etc. Further authenticated evidence of

residency for non-citizens may be required.

The ICC is acceptable for British citizens or residents using a British flagged vessel for leisure. Other countries may accept

the ICC for their native flagged vessels.

You can take the ICC practical test at most RYA practical training centres - inland or coastal - and you can also take the CEVNI written test at the same time. If you have a current qualification such as Inland Waterways Helmsman's Certificate then the practical test is not required.

Last month I tested a UK Resident French national for an ICC and there was no problem with her getting a certificate.

Regards

Mike

• 5 months later...
Full details of the ICC and CEVNI can be found on the RYA website here: clicky

The RYA will issue ICCs to both UK Nationals and UK Residents. If you are a UK Resident nationality is not a problem. If you are not a UK National or Resident, then the ICC will have to be issued by the relevant authority in your country of residence or nationality.

The application form (available here) states at the top:

ELIGIBILITY This certificate is available only to British citizens and bona fide British Residents over

the age of 16. Evidence of residency for non-citizens will be required in the form of a photocopy of a

driving licence, utility bill, Council Tax bill or bank statement etc. Further authenticated evidence of

residency for non-citizens may be required.

The ICC is acceptable for British citizens or residents using a British flagged vessel for leisure. Other countries may accept

the ICC for their native flagged vessels.

You can take the ICC practical test at most RYA practical training centres - inland or coastal - and you can also take the CEVNI written test at the same time. If you have a current qualification such as Inland Waterways Helmsman's Certificate then the practical test is not required.

Last month I tested a UK Resident French national for an ICC and there was no problem with her getting a certificate.

Regards

Mike

Many thanks for the reply. However we are not resident in the UK. We are currently in Levkas and will make our way to France ca. May. We have investigated with RYA and various sailing schools and they all have the same response that they cannot do a CEVNI test for us because non British and non British resident.

To obtain an ICC you must pass the CEVNI first, that is the correct order, the CEVNI is part of the ICC.

The RYA will issue the CEVNI and ICCs to UK nationals and UK residents. If you are resident in the UK no problem.

Many thanks for the reply. However we are not resident in the UK. We are currently in Levkas and will make our way to France ca. May. We have investigated with RYA and various sailing schools and they all have the same response that they cannot do a CEVNI test for us because non British and non British resident.

Cevni cetificate or equivalent

As far as I know anyone can sit the CEVNI test. If you are here in the UK legally what is there to stop you simply enrolling on one of the RYA's courses? I'm sure they'll be happy to take the money off you.

Unlike here the person in charge of the boat, be it commercial or private, must have the CEVNI qualification in France, and indeed most of Europe. I've never quite understood the loophole that allows anyone to rent a hire boat in France with no such qualification, but if it is your own ship, you need it.

Cevni certificate