New inverter

Heth

Featured Posts

Hi there,

We have a problem with our Sterling 1800W (Continuous) inverter, we first noticed it when we moored up overnight (after running the engine all day). we got 2 hours use - only running the fridge - & the warning noise went off. We ran the engine again for half an our but it still didn't come back on.

We checked the batteries & all was ok (still is). On another occasion whilst the engine was actually running (had been for 2 hours) the warning noise sounded! We switched it off & kept trying to switch it on whilst continuing our journey with the same outcome - nothing. This confirmed our suspicion of a failing inverter.

A friend of ours who "knows his stuff" told us that Sterling inverters - altho very popular are classed as "cheap & cheerful" he also said that a Sterling inverter would do well to last longer than 3 years, so they are usually used as an interim measure. We don't know if this is correct, but as you can imagine we aren't keen to get another Sterling. Ours has lasted just 2 years, after performing quite well till recently (without any other changes).

Can anyone recommend a better quality range? We'd still want 1800W or even 2000W, yes we know it will cost more but hopefully will be worth it.

Thanks

Have you tried talking to Sterling ?

I've no experience of them personally, but have heard or seen anecdotally that they will often offer a pretty good after sales service even in cases where their legal obligation has ended.

I believe people have either received free replacements on out of warranty items, or at least been offered a replacement at greatly reduced cost.

For the price of a phone call, it's surely worth asking ?

(But beware that there have also been comments about the telephone manner of some of those answering the calls! :lol: )

Alan

Can anyone recommend a better quality range? We'd still want 1800W or even 2000W, yes we know it will cost more but hopefully will be worth it.

I have a Powermaster 1800 PSW inverter. It's had quite a lot of work over the last year as it was my main power supply whilst fitting out the boat. I've had no problems with it and it runs anything I plug into it, including the microwave and a 1400 watt lawn mower.

Friendly helpful service as well. See www.powermastersystems.com

No connection etc etc.

With the caveat that the one that forum member Denis has, which suffered melting componentry after a few years, appeared from his posts to be a Power Master.

Might be worth PMing him to see if that is right, and if he got any help from the suppliers.

Alan

Hi there,

We have a problem with our Sterling 1800W (Continuous) inverter, we first noticed it when we moored up overnight (after running the engine all day). we got 2 hours use - only running the fridge - & the warning noise went off. We ran the engine again for half an our but it still didn't come back on.

We checked the batteries & all was ok (still is). On another occasion whilst the engine was actually running (had been for 2 hours) the warning noise sounded! We switched it off & kept trying to switch it on whilst continuing our journey with the same outcome - nothing. This confirmed our suspicion of a failing inverter.

A friend of ours who "knows his stuff" told us that Sterling inverters - altho very popular are classed as "cheap & cheerful" he also said that a Sterling inverter would do well to last longer than 3 years, so they are usually used as an interim measure. We don't know if this is correct, but as you can imagine we aren't keen to get another Sterling. Ours has lasted just 2 years, after performing quite well till recently (without any other changes).

Thanks

Give them a call 01905-771771. It's got to be worth sending it to them to have a look at.

Edited by blackrose

The main players in the "marine" inverter world are Victron, Mastervolt & Struder all of which make very good products all be it at a eye watering price.

There are also a number of clone badged units from the Far East available from a number of suppliers at cheaper prices. These units are also available without the well known name badges at considerable savings directly from the manufacturers in the Far East via Ebay.

Canalboatbits supply Victron, Sterling, Mastervolt and Mobitronic units and forum members can get 10% off the RRP by registering for a discount card.

I personally think inverters are like most things, you pay for what you get and if you can't afford much you don't get a lot.

I used to be involved in selling and installing inverters years back and we sold an awful lot of cheap and nasty ones that used to fail at an astonishing rate, the importer exchanged the units with excellent customer service but the replacements failed yet again and again. I used to get fed up of taking the flack all the time for this but my boss gave me a lecture once on how selling them made great business sense.

Edited by Gary Peacock