The Avon Ring

Joshthedog

Featured Posts

Hi,

My family are renting a narrowboat next week from Dunhampstead Moorings for 7 days and have been considering navigating the Avon Ring. Given the distance and number of locks we are unsure whether it can be comfortably done.

4 of us have used canal boats before and we have two newbies.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated! Cheers Guys - our holiday is in your hands!!

Total distance is 116 miles, 7¾ flg and 128 locks. There are at least 4 moveable bridges of which 1 is usually left open; 5 small aqueducts or underbridges; 5 tunnels and 1 major aqueduct.

Made up of 55 miles, 5¾ furlongs of narrow canals; 45 miles, 1¾ furlongs of small rivers; 16 miles, 0 furlongs of large rivers; 110 narrow locks; 17 broad locks; 1 large lock.

This will take 60 hours, 51 minutes which is 6 days, 6 hours and 51 minutes at 9 hours per day.

For calculation purposes, this is taken as 7 days

taken from canal plan here http://www2.mihalis.net/canal/cgi-bin/canal.cgi

Thanks Denboy,

I had actually already done that, wasn't sure whether it was like "autoroute" in the car, where it says one thing but in reality it can be loads quicker.

What I was really after was whether anyone had any idea whether this would be a relaxing holiday or just one long slog!

Would we better travelling part way and turning round?

We also have 4 dogs with us, would anyone know whether it is practical travelling on the Severn and the Avon as presumably there are no towpaths.

We have been out well over 2 weeks now, having covered at least (I think) 250 miles and 300 locks.

It's the first time we have had on-board Internet, and we have been comparing actual progress to Nick Atty's CanalPlan AC estimates.

Using the default options for speeds and times per lock, it is possible to get along faster than the planner suggests, if nothing, or nobody, holds you up.. Quite a bit faster, maybe, if you get a clear run, with locks in your favour.

However CanalPlanAC cannot predict when you will encounter someone who insists on filling a deep broad lock on just half a ground paddle, or when you will spend time down the weed-hatch trying to remove some-body's trousers.

I'd say CanalPlanAC implies a fairly intensive schedule. If you like your cruising more relaxed, then assume you will take longer than CanalPlanAC says, (or set it's default speeds slower, and times per lock longer).

From a brief foray on to the Severn, I can confirm there are few opportunities to stop. You don't even get to lave he boat at locks!

Josh

As you have found Canalplan suggest 9 hours a day cruising for 7 days.

That is long days allowing for continuous cruising and only one hour for lunch that is a 10 hour day every day, ie. 8 till 6 or 9 till 7.

You have a large crew so it will not be impossible but you will be moving all the time.

All you will need (not) is a slight delay and you may be in trouble.

Suggestion: why not travel for half the days, see how far you have got and re-asses, then decide to carry on or turn round.

Whatever you do have a great time.

Canal plan AC tends to overstimate journey times when there are a lot of locks, and also can be a bit slow on rivers, i.e. both the avon and severn may be quicker than stated.

I've never done this as a ring although I've done all the component parts. Mum and Dad did it several years ago and did it in a week "easily", also went up the Severn to Holt lock (7 miles and 1 lock off the route). I guess they would cruise for no more than 9 hours a day and had my borther to assist them.

It depends whether you want to cruise or whether you have in mind sightseeing and pub lunches with the odd bit cruising or cruising with the odd bit of sightseeing and pub lunch. It's dooable so long as you want to do it.

When we first booked the holiday I was adamant that I wanted to do the full ring, as I saw it giving more of a purpose to the holiday.

The more I think about it though, the rivers are not practical for the dogs. The vast majority of the locks are at the beginning so if we turned around then we would have those to do again, but with the crew that shouldn't be a problem. Also the locks and tunnels give distractions and break up the day.

Although doing the locks at Tradebigge (sp) twive in a week may be too much for the weaker willed members!

how about down to stratford then pershore and back nice bit of river and plenty of places to get the dogs off for a run 6 days according to canal plan (copy & paste didn`t work doh) plenty of time for mooching around shops etc then

Josh, we've got very unpredictable cats, (and are taking delvery of another any time today, cute!) so we do as Bottle suggests; travel in one direction until half way through the alotted time and make a decision then. Don't commit yourself to slogging to catch up with yourself; you'll spoil the trip; the "purpose" surely is chilling in the countryside.

On a different note are you going clockwise or anti, we're out that way on the 23rd for an amble.

"Although doing the locks at Tradebigge (sp) twive in a week may be too much for the weaker willed members!"

A lot of hire boats have to do the Tardebigge twice in one week if they want to do them at all! Last October we went from Hockley Heath to the Severn for a quick twirl and back, doing the Tardebigge both ways very comfortably in a week. We did have Robert (RJ) with us for part of the trip but he wasn't allowed to be quite as efficient as he usually is.

You meet some interesting things doing that flight. We came across a man playing an alpenhorn by the side of one of the locks because when the lock was empty the acoustics were wonderful!

Pam S

how about down to stratford then pershore and back nice bit of river and plenty of places to get the dogs off for a run 6 days according to canal plan (copy & paste didn`t work doh) plenty of time for mooching around shops etc then

I have just tried doing that, is that clockwise or anticlock? I think I am being a bit thick!

... or when you will spend time down the weed-hatch trying to remove some-body's trousers.

Well, I suppose that one of the charms of being on a narrowboat is making your own entertainment......

Richard

Surely there are more comfortable places?

or when you will spend time down the weed-hatch trying to remove some-body's trousers.

Well, I suppose that one of the charms of being on a narrowboat is making your own entertainment......

Richard

Surely there are more comfortable places?

I really can't actually believe I managed to write that :lol:

Classic!