Space between moored boats

Neil.A

Featured Posts

Is there a minmum distance that should be given for safety reasons?

No.

Indeed, leaving big gaps between boats is discourteous, as it reduces the available moorings for other boaters.

If mooring where rings are provided, you should always share a ring with the next boat.

No.

Indeed, leaving big gaps between boats is discourteous, as it reduces the available moorings for other boaters.

If mooring where rings are provided, you should always share a ring with the next boat.

Thanks for that, I'll send him to you...

The bloke that has no licence and no safety cert, that has a gas bottle on the stern feeding a hob through his window.

Keep an eye out for him.

Surely there are authorities you can report him to?

The bloke that has no licence and no safety cert, that has a gas bottle on the stern feeding a hob through his window.

Keep an eye out for him.

He may have no licence and no cert, but such a system would probably get a cert as long as he had a bit of string to stop it falling off

Surely there are authorities you can report him to?

I see that you are new to all of this. :lol:

You may as well urinate into the wind, than get any constructive help from BW..

He may have no licence and no cert, but such a system would probably get a cert as long as he had a bit of string to stop it falling off

Never thought of that...

If you dont here from me soon, tell mother I died like a hero..

This gas set up is arranged incorrectly, he needs to put the pipe back out through the window. Tell him that the standard procedure is to first, switch off the gas at the bottle, then disconnect the pipe, and remove the cooker and bottle from the boat, the whole installation should then be set up in a sheltered area on the bank to ensure the flame works correctly. If the window is wide enough he may only need to disconnect the regulator to do this.

It's actually surprisingly pleasant keeping your cooking arangements outside of the boat. :lol:

This gas set up is arranged incorrectly, he needs to put the pipe back out through the window. Tell him that the standard procedure is to first, switch off the gas at the bottle, then disconnect the pipe, and remove the cooker and bottle from the boat, the whole installation should then be set up in a sheltered area on the bank to ensure the flame works correctly. If the window is wide enough he may only need to disconnect the regulator to do this.

It's actually surprisingly pleasant keeping your cooking arangements outside of the boat. :lol:

Well, it looks like Dave is not interested in a new neighbour, so I'll point him in your direction...

Oh, the innocence of youth :lol:

Weary through experience.

So, OP, are you trying to say that you're moored next to a boat that doesn't look entirely safe?

May I suggest ... moving?

Seeing as I pay for my mooring, some £1700 a year I dont really see why I should. Really. Mate.

Keep an eye out for him.

Not much consolation I guess, but......

30 or 40 years ago a bottled gas cylinder somewhere on deck feeding a hob through a length of hose was very much the norm.

It probably wouldn't pass a BSS now, but one very seldom heard of such arrangements blowing up, (why should they ?).

The fact that the hose goes through a window isn't actually going to make it any less safe either, unless it's possible to sever the hose with some part of the window.

Unless the hose is well past it's "best by" date, or the connections bodged, I very much doubt you are in any danger at all.

(Don't forget people were, and possibly still are, quite willing to use an LPG heater at home where the cylinder actually sat/sits within the heater, and hence the whole lot was/is indoors).

Seeing as I pay for my mooring, some £1700 a year I dont really see why I should. Really. Mate.

Well given the lack of info in the first post I must admit I assumed you were talking about a visitor mooring.

Well given the lack of info in the first post I must admit I assumed you were talking about a visitor mooring.

You don't read much then do you...

I've just had a year long battle with BW about moorings closure.

Do keep up, theres a good chap.

By the way, its Neil, as opposed to OP.

You don't read much then do you...

I've just had a year long battle with BW about moorings closure.

I'm well aware of that. However, you didn't reference it in your first post, so I do apologise.

By the way, its Neil, as opposed to OP.

OP = Original Post/Poster/Posting

So has this chap just turned up as a visitor or is he a new, full time, moorer?

Keep an eye out for him.

Can't see why gas bottle on stern feeding a hob would be unsafe, my gas bottle is in a very confined space with feeding my cooker.

Out of interest how do you know he has no safety cert? are you just asuming because he has no licence displayed he also has no cert.

Is there a minmum distance that should be given for safety reasons?

Going by your other posts this was a trick question!!!

Going by your other posts this was a trick question!!!

Something I've learnt through dealing with BW.

wouldn`t be a red and white cruiser by any chance neil the one with the jammed throttle fast or turbo :lol:

Eyup Den

No, hes about 100 metres away. Now, he would give Dave Mayall a pain..

Eyup Den

No, hes about 100 metres away. Now, he would give Dave Mayall a pain..

How interesting.

Is there some reason that you think it best to ask trick questions?

Why not just say what you mean at the start?

I think that there are two different answers to your question - assuming that you were really interested in the answer.

If I moor in the middle of no where then and i can see another boat then i would give them plenty of breathing space, maybe 30m. If however I am in a busy or popular area then i would moor much closer maybe 2-3m. The reason for this; situation one deserves some peace and quite the same as i would be looking for. It is only polite in situaltion two to everyone else to use the available and often limited space efficiently.

Tim

How interesting.

Is there some reason that you think it best to ask trick questions?

Why not just say what you mean at the start?

I did. I said:

"Is there a minimum distance that should be given for safety reasons?"

Which bit are you having difficulty with?

Not quite sure how anyone could interperate that as a trick question...