Stratford bridge will not be built

RLWP

Featured Posts

Why the "Thank Goodness" ? :lol:

I agree with the thank goodness as the vista is beautiful and it'd be a shame to wack another bridge across it. Also it suggests development work on the rec which would be mad as it's A. a frequently submerged floodplain and B. it means the loss of more greenery. They've already cut down all the old chestnut trees from waterside to replace them with sh*tty little lollipop trees (limes which will drop sticky sap on everyone, are tiny and will not cope with the flooding, plus the old established trees would have helped retain water for slow release suring times of flood - the limes won't). And they've (for no apparent reason) cut down a vast number of the lovely weeping willows from the opposite bank which were such a signature mark of the beautiful Stratford water scape. :lol::lol: Petitions were drawn up against it all but of course financing was already in place so they were ignored.

Edited by BlueStringPudding

And they've (for no apparent reason) cut down a vast number of the lovely weeping willows from the opposite bank which were such a signature mark of the beautiful Stratford water scape. :lol::lol: Petitions were drawn up against it all but of course financing was already in place so they were ignored.

You would be amazed how much water willows will rob from the waterway, a stand of thirsty willows is as bad as a leaky lock.

I agree with the thank goodness as the vista is beautiful and it'd be a shame to wack another bridge across it. Also it suggests development work on the rec which would be mad as it's A. a frequently submerged floodplain and B. it means the loss of more greenery. They've already cut down all the old chestnut trees from waterside to replace them with sh*tty little lollipop trees (limes which will drop sticky sap on everyone, are tiny and will not cope with the flooding, plus the old established trees would have helped retain water for slow release suring times of flood - the limes won't). And they've (for no apparent reason) cut down a vast number of the lovely weeping willows from the opposite bank which were such a signature mark of the beautiful Stratford water scape. :lol::lol: Petitions were drawn up against it all but of course financing was already in place so they were ignored.

Ta! Not knowing the area I wasn't too sure what "the fuss" was about, but I understand now.

You would be amazed how much water willows will rob from the waterway, a stand of thirsty willows is as bad as a leaky lock.

Not really an issue on the Avon where oversupply of water is more of a concern ;P

I'm glad this has been shelved too, money would be better spent tidying up some of the ugly postwar buildings that let the town down, and maybe a bit of investment in the public ferry crossing? A much more fun way of crossing the river.

Edited by Breals