Battery Chargers Take 2!!

Living the Dream

Featured Posts

Hi Everyone

I have just had a converstion with a guy who is building his own boat. He has just bought an all singing all dancing battery charger. During the conversation I mentioned that my problem is that I have three separate power lines in the boat, 12v, 230 and land line. My problem is that when on land line or generator the way it is set up it doesnt charge my batteries. I am not having any problems as I only use the generator for the washing machine and ironing. I just thought it would be good to charge the batteries while running the generator. The guy then said "Why not use a car battery charger". My question is would this work? I have 4 x 110 amp leisure batteries. He also mentioned running the charger whilst using my inverter. This would mean my batteries would be recharging as they supplied whatever i was using. I generally only use the inverter for the laptop or Satelite TV.

Not being the kind of guy that understands whats going in and out of batteries I wondered if anyone does this (car charger) or thinks it may or may not work. The final option of course is to buy an all singing all dancing battery charger which I dont think I need.

I would appreciate any thoughts please

Regards

Dave

er no the inverter will not give the results you are thinking of it will probably use more power to run the charger than what the charger gives out more knowledgeable folk will be along to put you on right track

Edited by denis boyle

Hi Everyone

I have just had a converstion with a guy who is building his own boat. He has just bought an all singing all dancing battery charger. During the conversation I mentioned that my problem is that I have three separate power lines in the boat, 12v, 230 and land line. My problem is that when on land line or generator the way it is set up it doesnt charge my batteries. I am not having any problems as I only use the generator for the washing machine and ironing. I just thought it would be good to charge the batteries while running the generator. The guy then said "Why not use a car battery charger". My question is would this work? I have 4 x 110 amp leisure batteries. He also mentioned running the charger whilst using my inverter. This would mean my batteries would be recharging as they supplied whatever i was using. I generally only use the inverter for the laptop or Satelite TV.

Not being the kind of guy that understands whats going in and out of batteries I wondered if anyone does this (car charger) or thinks it may or may not work. The final option of course is to buy an all singing all dancing battery charger which I dont think I need.

Regards

Dave

i assume the bloke wasn't advocating charging the batteries FROM the inverter as this would obviously result in losses, unless maybe the generator wasn't 'clean' enough to run the charger and the inverter was clean enough and the benefit of the technical charger over a more standard charger would take care of those losses :lol: . charging the batteries with a generator and charger while the inverter was supplying cabin loads would work. I recently bought a Black and Decker 30 amp 3 stage charger from Agros, and it does actually seem to work off my generator which is only a small 600w unit. The only thing which annoys me is you have to press a button on it 3 times to select the 30 amp mode, so it requires user interaction.

edited its a 30 amp charger not 20 amp...

Edited by magnetman

Hi Everyone

I have just had a converstion with a guy who is building his own boat. He has just bought an all singing all dancing battery charger. During the conversation I mentioned that my problem is that I have three separate power lines in the boat, 12v, 230 and land line. My problem is that when on land line or generator the way it is set up it doesnt charge my batteries. I am not having any problems as I only use the generator for the washing machine and ironing. I just thought it would be good to charge the batteries while running the generator. The guy then said "Why not use a car battery charger". My question is would this work?Yes but a 'car battery charger' will not be the best way, a three stage charger would be better (more expensive)I have 4 x 110 amp leisure batteries. He also mentioned running the charger whilst using my inverter. This would mean my batteries would be recharging as they supplied This would be like inventing perpetual motion, impossible. You cannot get more out than you put in and you would be taking more out to run the charger than it would be putting in. (power losses) whatever i was using. I generally only use the inverter for the laptop or Satelite TV.

Regards

Dave

Charging from the generator or landline (via suitable charger) would save you running your engine to charge your batteries or at least reduce it.

Picked up a charger from Halfords the other week for about 55 quid. Pretty much a fit and forget effort, charging a bank of 4 110ah batteries. I just leave it connected up and a green light tells me when all fully charged.

Seems to do what the more expensive 'swindlery' chargers do for a lot less dosh!

Thanks for the replies.

I also thought it was a bit strange running the inverter to charge the batteries.

As I said in my original post, I havent got any major problems, batteries are fine, everything runs ok its just that it seems daft running the generator and not being able to charge the batteries. Think a trip to halfords is on the cards.

Thanks again

Dave

Thanks for the replies.

I also thought it was a bit strange running the inverter to charge the batteries.

As I said in my original post, I havent got any major problems, batteries are fine, everything runs ok its just that it seems daft running the generator and not being able to charge the batteries. Think a trip to halfords is on the cards.

Thanks again

Dave

Some gennies have a 12 volt output, so you can charge your batteries whilst running the genny. However this is usually low amperage charge rate somewhere around 10amps from my Kipor I recall. I have a sterling charger 20 amp, when I run a genny I run it through the 240 volt system, basically I plug the genny into where the shoreline plugs in. The streling charger then charges the batteries when it's running. Originally I used the 12 volt charge straight from the genny when fitting out and using power tools, but obviously using the 20amp charger is much better.

I had looked for a decent car type charger, rather than pay specifically for a boaty option, but couldn't find one that suited, the Halfords one mentioned though sounds ok.

Just had a look at the charger to give you guys the model number.....doesn't appear to be one..?

Had a look on the website and no sign of it...

However it's quite a distinctive design, circular, about 200mm dia, with a moulded handle on the top, rectangular digital display panel just below.

Will have another look for a model number later when I have more time.

Just had a look at the charger to give you guys the model number.....doesn't appear to be one..?

Had a look on the website and no sign of it...

However it's quite a distinctive design, circular, about 200mm dia, with a moulded handle on the top, rectangular digital display panel just below.

Will have another look for a model number later when I have more time.

Thanks Andy