Leicester ring and the price of diesel?

nipper

Featured Posts

Hi all!

Next Saturday I'm off on Water Jester from Blisworth Marina, and intend to "do" the Leicester ring.(I'm so glad Canalplan AC is back on line). Can anyone suggest stopping places and hostelries along the way?

Also,having just bunkered up my Sailing boat at Cowes this morning with 45 litres of diesel, yes i know, the last of the big spenders, but, if there's no wind, that lot will get me across the Channel to Cherbourg there and back a couple of times if i'm careful.

I paid 78 pence a litre for the stuff, what can i expect to pay on the inland waterways?

All replies gratefully received.

nipper

I paid 78 pence a litre for the stuff, what can i expect to pay on the inland waterways?

If you get lucky and find someone who's not had a delivery for a while, you might find below 80 pence. But many places are now charging more than 90 pence.

If you get lucky and find someone who's not had a delivery for a while, you might find below 80 pence. But many places are now charging more than 90 pence.

90 pence does seem to be a bit steep!!

Our diesel has to get to the Isle of Wight first, then be sold at the premier sailing capital of the country( allegedly).

where as the canal fuel arrives by a convenient Road.

oh well! less money to spend in the hostelries then!

Thanks Alan

Wow 90p :lol:

As the duty on diesel will rise in November in real terms by £0.47p per litre which is also liable to v.a.t = 55,22p So what a marina charges today bearing in mind they're happy with their current profit margin, then adding the 55.22p rise on to their current price today, is what it would cost if we were suddenly under the new deisel duty regime. So 90p per litre would become £1.45 per litre at the very minimum. This is around 15p dearer than road diesel at the moment.

So if the day before the November change a marina is charging £1.00 the following day it will be £1.55 minimum unless the marina drops it's profit level.

Wow 90p :lol:

As the duty on diesel will rise in November in real terms by £0.47p per litre which is also liable to v.a.t = 55,22p So what a marina charges today bearing in mind they're happy with their current profit margin, then adding the 55.22p rise on to their current price today, is what it would cost if we were suddenly under the new deisel duty regime. So 90p per litre would become £1.45 per litre at the very minimum. This is around 15p dearer than road diesel at the moment.

So if the day before the November change a marina is charging £1.00 the following day it will be £1.55 minimum unless the marina drops it's profit level.

90 pence does strike me as a tad opportunistic, but canal users are a captive clentel and can go nowhere else for fuel.

What with all the other pressures on the canal system it is one problem it could well do without. Still, people will be doing less cruising, so less wear and tear on the system, thus giving BW more dosh to spend on it's other lines of business!

Anyway, the Leicester ring has been an old ambition of mine, the fuel hike won't stop me this time, but in future I will certainly be looking at shortening my cruising range.

nipper

90 pence does strike me as a tad opportunistic, but canal users are a captive clentel and can go nowhere else for fuel.

What with all the other pressures on the canal system it is one problem it could well do without. Still, people will be doing less cruising, so less wear and tear on the system, thus giving BW more dosh to spend on it's other lines of business!

Anyway, the Leicester ring has been an old ambition of mine, the fuel hike won't stop me this time, but in future I will certainly be looking at shortening my cruising range.

nipper

Bray marina on the Thames had their prices shown as 94p for diesel and £1.45p for petrol, We paid 84p at Reading

Fuel cost (for a holiday cruiser) is still pretty insignificant compared with ownership costs, maintenance, mooring fees, licensing and insurance. You have to keep the 'big picture' in mind. Fuel isn't ever going to be cheap again, so we might as well get used to the idea.

Just filled up with 46 squids worth of red go-juice: I didn't notice the litre price but I know I got more litres than squids. That was for about 8 inches of diesel.