Wow! - Mooring cost

Amwris

Featured Posts

Hi.

JJ ranger, have you really taken a mooring at Marsworth For £6000 p. an for the next 3 years???????????????.

Albi

no (more) widebeams aloud at Marsworth...

is 6000 a year about right for 60 foot widebeam non resident just outside london or are there better deals

Batchworth long term moorings at Rickmansworth which is inside the M25 would be around £1,200 p.a for 60ft widebeam (if you got permission to put one there...) there are one or two there already. £6k for non residential sounds a bit mental.

I don't know for certain but I believe that moorings as well as cruising licenses are charged by length only on BW long term moorings you can have as much width as you want.

Edited by magnetman

no (more) widebeams aloud at Marsworth...

I don't know for certain but I believe that moorings as well as cruising licenses are charged by length only on BW long term moorings you can have as much width as you want.

BW guidance for the GU says something about wide beams boats not mooring online north of Berko, (but that doesn't help when they moor up in the shallow bit south of berko and i've got the butty on the wrong side)

When we were looking for a winter mooring we were told in no uncertain terms we would NOT be allowed to breast the boats up at Marsworth, regardless of how wide the canal is etc...

Marsworth is no longer on my itinery because the commuter bus to the station got scrapped - you now have to change busses in Tring - or cycle in the summer.

simon.

When we were looking for a winter mooring we were told in no uncertain terms we would NOT be allowed to breast the boats up at Marsworth, regardless of how wide the canal is etc...

simon.

thats ridiculous... a pair of former Grand Union working boats not being permitted to be breasted up on the Grand Union. I can't see how they can really 'disallow' that apart from in blatantly narrow bits or bends. Are you not even allowed to breast them up on a winter only mooring? if you chose to run up and down Marsworth flight on cc mode every couple of weeks you could have the boats breasted up all the time. are they going to try to stop all pairs of boats being breasted up or is it only people who are threatening to pay for moorings?

if you chose to run up and down Marsworth flight on cc mode every couple of weeks you could have the boats breasted up all the time.

If you are going up and down Marsworth every couple of weeks then you are not within the requirements for continuous crusing :lol:

I must admit I always raise a smile at the "broad beam boats must not moor on line North of Berkhamsted", or however it's phrased.

So where the heck are they supposed to moor then ? - there is rather a death of off line visitor moorings on that stretch of the GU.

thats ridiculous... a pair of former Grand Union working boats not being permitted to be breasted up on the Grand Union. I can't see how they can really 'disallow' that apart from in blatantly narrow bits or bends.

We moored up breasted on the bend at Bulbourne instead, called Ed in to strip the engine for overhaul, and phoned up to offer some winter mooring money - of course they said yes then..... :lol:

Simon.

yes moorings would be a sticking point , i started looking last year at all things boaty and enjoyed all the time i spent on it , but i soon found out that moorings were the key point and what with all the news about bw bids etc , tried paying for a mooring and saying to the owner , if any one needs it you rent it and keep the extra and i can give you a months warning , that gave me the leeway to jump in when i could , id prefer to keep my job for the time being so i need local moorings , 12 hr shifts dont go well with travling ,

so lots off leg work , found some allotments on the canal side , but also found out that the last one went for 16,000 , and also found out that the bloke that brought it , owns the house at the end and a acre off ground that land locks the site , he said he will outbid any price as they will eventually build on the land ?.

but he will rent me a allotment , though the ones along the canal are all as such rented , and i already have a rented allotment elsewere,

now the bottoms dropped out the housing market as such perhaps looking for a property along the water side might be a possibility then rent the house out and live on a boat ?.

best off both worlds , i can have my cake and eat it.

though as weve had a couple of latvians working at our place the thought strikes me that if i were to go their i may not need to work cost off living etc and you can actually eat the fish you catch in their rivers , i did have a invite to go back with them in september , close to riga , but unfortunatly the firm promised them a job then sacked them , by the time i was back on shift they had flown home ,

i still think id prefer to live aboard a boat but id still have a alotment somewere but theirs time yet , and im using my solar panel to provide battery power to pump tanked water on the allotment , im not looking for cheap digs but im looking to be cost effective as possible as you say why outbid they did that with the housing market ?

still saved the pennys and brought anotheir premium bond today but if the limited space is outpriced then i may take a long holyday and check out riga still so far the water side has given me lots off enjoyment and ive met lots off very nice people, so time well spent

• 2 weeks later...

Just a thought, but is anyone noticing any impact from the bottom dropping out the housing market? Is it driving more people onto the water and further driving up the cost of moorings, or are boats seen more as luxury items and being sold off cheap as the credit crunch hits and people need to pay morgages? What's the gut feeling on the effect it'll have. I guess it'll put a hold on any BW plans to further 'develop' (if that's the right word for throwing up shoddy blocks of flats on every square inch of land) the waterfronts.

If BW used it's property portfolio for the good of the canals, instead of selling everything off to their developer cronies, there might be some decent, affordable moorings available.

The housing market isn't responsible for the mismanagement of a public asset that shouldn't be involved in the real estate game.

Hahaha never in a million years lol,

They (all mooring owners) Know they`ve got you by the short and curlys, your stuck with a 17 ton piece of steel, what else can you do with if you want to leave it safe?

Lift it out and pay ground moorings perhaps? but again at the same ridiculas prices.

Then again it is a big big chunk of steel that takes up a fair bit of space.