Moor Help Needed

Beeno

Featured Posts

I think we have helped, if you want a permanent mooring start looking before you buy the boat.

Find it yourself and then 'badger' BW or the marina owner to rent it to you.

Simple really.Big-Thumbs-Up.gif

Oh btw I am in the same position as Maffi, except mine is forced retirement, I will be a continuous cruiser not a bridge hopper.

Yep, but hindsight is a great thing , i did not expect any problems in getting moorings when i started, and only started looking when the builder started to build the boat 12 months from the original ordering of it.

Well if Beeno has only just 'commissioned' his boat he may have a good long time to sort something out. It's a bit defeatist to resign your self to bridge hopping at this stage.

:D

If you can identify such a mooring Marinas & BW wll be pleased to let it to you on a temporary basis.  That way they get paid twice for the same space.

It a pity this has strayed off into a CC, Bridge Hopping, Water Gypsy discussion - it doesn't help Beano get a mooring.  The BW staff are quite reasonable people; if you do not cause a nuisance and are honest about your intentions they will not enforce the guidelines rigidly.

Alan

Thanks Alan, The BW guy at Kings Marina is a very nice chap and was very helpfull, but sill no mooring as yet.

I never thought as myslef as a water gypsy before, perhaps I'll have to get myself a horse and a gold tooth.

My intention was not to reignite the CC debate, Just to get some advice on how to go about getting a permanent mooring.

Bye for now

My intention was not to reignite the CC debate

- Just to get some advice on how to go about getting a permanent mooring.

Just a shame "some people" cant keep it on topic :D

Also, is it me or this "... unless special reasons prevent onward movement" a huge loop hole?

- What to stop you geting a narrowboat with a "non-functional" engine, and spend three/four years fixing it!

Daniel

Edited by dhutch

OK, thanks Dan, but if you think something is off topic then let on of the site crew know, rather than posting directly please. Just causes unneccessary arguments. :D

This topic is fine as it is, even if there are similarties to other topics.

Thanks,

Jon

This was my official advice from BW Trent & Mersey.

Bridge hop untill September on a CC licence.

Get a BW Winter mooring.

during this time try and get a residential mooring starting next spring.

Straight from the horses mouth.

PS. Has anyone seen that program "Grumpy Old Men"?

Exactly, Alan. That was my point as well. The local patrol officer will be much happier if you say "I'm hunting for a mooring, can you let me know if you hear of anything." Try dodging about, they will cotton on and they don't like it.

It isn't the trash issue, Maffi, and I think you've come over a bit strong for someone who doesn't yet live on a boat - wait until you do, you may find your opinions changing. What looks ok in a garden will look messy on a neat canal/river bank - but it may be that the people with the garden shed have every right to put a shed there.

The issue is mainly the shortfall in moorings. It's galling to see people taking up temporary moorings all the time, knowing they have no intent of ever paying for a mooring.

I think this discussion has run its course , were are only going over old ground again with the CC debate.

Does anyone else have anything useful to add before this topic is closed?

Jon

I think this discussion has run its course , were are only going over old ground again with the CC debate.

Jon

Yes Jon

Not everyone has been a part of this discussion before. Some newer members to boating might not have even know that it existed.

Keep it open!

Edited by maffi mushkila

I agree Alistir

And that is why CC should pay extra on the licance 50% would be about right.....

And when they put meters on moorings, Richard, every one will have to pay. Even those who creep out of their permanent mooring for the weekend. And then all hell will be let loose.

Edited by maffi mushkila

Maffi, and I think you've come over a bit strong for someone who doesn't yet live on a boat - wait until you do, you may find your opinions changing.

Just protecting my intrests dude.

You are probably right, but I don't envisage me getting any easier on those who choose to be outlaws.

Edited by maffi mushkila

I think this discussion has run its course , we're are only going over old ground again with the CC debate.

Jon

Agreed! But Beano asked a reasonable question. I think he has received a reasonable answer - genuine boaters seeking moorings need not worry.

Our troll insists on frightening newcomers with his barrack-room lawyer's views. The rules are intended to catch the evaders not the honest boater. I have received considerable dispensations from BW in very trying circumstances - all resolved now.

There, I have had my say - go ahead & close. I hope Beano will stick with us, let us know how they get on & pass on their experience to others in the future.

Sadly - Alan

Well Maffi i know it is a saw point but i do think that CC should pay more, after all they do moor up every night just like the ones with moorings and they do use the same facilities and probably more than the ones with moorings but do it for free.

Perhaps the way forward is to have toll canals and pay for the distance traveled with slot meeter's on the locks....

ONLY JESTING don't all jump down my throat

Well Maffi I know it is a sore point but I do think that CC should pay more, after all they do moor up every night just like the ones with moorings and they do use the same facilities and probably more than the ones with moorings but do it for free.

Perhaps the way forward is to have toll canals and pay for the distance travelled with slot meeter's on the locks....

ONLY JESTING don't all jump down my throat

I agree with you, Richard. And when there is a shop at every mooring, access to a road, a measure of security, a shower block maybe a launderette etc etc oh and one more thing............................................. a change in the law.

Because at the moment the law is on the side of the CCer. IIRC it was changed in 1995 (don't quote me) specifically for people who wanted to retire and 'do' the system.

And when you next need help would you be surprised if the boater you asked said "I used to be able to do this for free but I'm gonna have to charge you for that".

How many trees fall into the canal each year?

Who is most likely to report them?

Who is most likely to help remove them?

Who is most likely to be in a position to notice when things aren't right on the cut and bring it to the attention of BW?

Who is most likely to report dumped cars?

When you are in trouble who is most likely to spend 'as long as it takes' helping instead of saying, "Sorry must press on, we're doing the ring in a week".

(These questions were asked by a CCer on another forum)

I defy anyone to deny that they would not be a CCer if they were in a position to do it.

What do you mean you cant do it?

Commitments, Oh I see you have commitments so I can't have the freedom to do my thing.

Ergo - it's just sour grapes!!!!!

Reality check, Dudes. This is the way it is. If you change the "status quo" your lot will not change one iota. You wont get cheaper licences or cheaper moorings. So what is the point. Stop whining.

Addendum How much extra tax is paid by CCer's on the quantity of fuel they use? And don't tell me they don't add to the prosperity of the canal industry.

Edited by maffi mushkila

I'm not winging i am just saying it as i see it.

I know what the law says and i know it will always cause feelings to run high, but what is the difference between a bridge hopper and a CC not a lot really one say es he moves more than the other.

There are genuine CC out there that continually traverse the system but even they overstay at moorings sometimes, not blatantly staying in the same place for months on end, but when they do it it, is usually in a mooring place, whereas most of the b/Hooper's moor in out of the way places not on 48hr moorings.

I still believe that it should be a level playing field with everyone paying the same for basic services ie moving mooring water and toilet points , then if someone wants more, like a marina facilities they should pay for this as a extra.

I know this is not how it happens and i also know it is not likely to change but it is MY view it is how it should be.

I also suspect that the most likely person to help remove the tree when it comes down is the live aboard BH and to put it on his boat top for kindling for the fire.