nigel carton

Bio Fuel  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Would you use Bio fuel?

• yes
    • no
    • only in your boat

Featured Posts

I would use any fuel that is cheaper. and works :lol: The problem with bio fuel is that i believe it will increase in price along with the price of diesel. OK it will still be cheaper, but only marginally. I noted in Morrisons yesterday that their cheapest cooking oil for for a 3 litre bottle was £3.69 that's 1.23 per liter 10p cheaper than derv. I have heard that supermarkets have been hiking the price to make cooking oil not worth the hassle of putting into cars. If you can use veggi oil without any conversion costs then it's viable, of course doing high mileage and saving 10p per litre it's well worth it though.

Locally resturants are now being paid for the oil collected, where in the past they used to have to pay for it to be collected. Again this will keep increasing the cost of waste oil bio fuel, the higher the price, the more restauranteers will want for the waste, and some are starting to use it themselves anyway.

I would use it though on the boat, as the engine will happily run on veggi, I would prefer to use a certain percentage of real diesel though.

The thing that just doesn't make sense is growing plants to produce bio-fuel for our thirsty machines when half the world is starving. We need to grow food first and foremost!

If we really need to go green and cut down on fossil fuels then the only answer is nuclear powered electricity and battery vehicles . . .

IMEHO - The smartest reply so far. There will in any case be a shortage of products for bio fuel in the future. The worlds largest populations are all discovering the joys of beef and dairy, so with huge tracts of grain dissapearing across S E Asia, responsible governments should be producing more food, not fuel.

:lol: This is from a woman who has today for the first time, used a train in the UK. I have abandoned the car as the fuel is too expensive The train was such fun - the fellow next to me introduced me to his shopping, the bloke in the suite spent the entire trip cleaning his ears with his fingers, and the one next to him chewed his dentures - I didn't know life could be so interesting.

Edited by Capey

I think this BIO fuel business is absolutely fantastic, I was watching a marvellous programme on TV the other night..

There are places in the Third World where land prices are so low that this country could buy up vast tracts of it, we could then plant the crops that produce the magic fluid.

It gets better than that, the wage rates are so low in these places that the crops could be cultivated for next to nothing, the current use of the land merely feeds a few thousand of the local population and we all know they don't need much food to keep going and anyway producing fuel for the 'developed' world is a far more worthy occupation..

So full speed ahead! Bio fuel is the thing of the future I say.

Oh yes, it was said that the production of these fantasic crops has already resulted in a 45% increase in food prices in some of these 'primitive' countries but who cares?

I think this BIO fuel business is absolutely fantastic, I was watching a marvellous programme on TV the other night..

There are places in the Third World where land prices are so low that this country could buy up vast tracts of it, we could then plant the crops that produce the magic fluid.

It gets better than that, the wage rates are so low in these places that the crops could be cultivated for next to nothing, the current use of the land merely feeds a few thousand of the local population and we all know they don't need much food to keep going and anyway producing fuel for the 'developed' world is a far more worthy occupation..

So full speed ahead! Bio fuel is the thing of the future I say.

Oh yes, it was said that the production of these fantasic crops has already resulted in a 45% increase in food prices in some of these 'primitive' countries but who cares?

Don't you think Wales has suffered enough?

We are talking about biofuel, on a small scale home-made basis, for using on our narrowboats, not to solve the world's 'fuel crisis'!

That's OK then, you will only starve a dozen or so babies rather than thousands of them.. I take it all back.

He's lucky to be able to book a suite on a train - most of us struggle to even get a seat.

oh har har - spelling was never my strong point :lol: but i am fully on the anti side - there just has to be a better solution than this. I would love to try the first nuclear powered boat - oh wow, and would save so much on heating and lighting - it would glow green all the time - as would I.

Edited by Capey

I have already used bio in my car but have to use min 80% bio with 20% normal otherwise I have starting issues.

We are currently looking at getting a filter kit to run our RN DM3 on used engin/gear box oil. cost around £250 with replacement filters at £5 each. We are told you only need around two filters a year.

I was just saying that people who brew their own biodiesel using waste oil shouldn't be equated with the fuel companies who are contibuting to the food crisis.

IMO they will get biofuels right in the future, e.g. using GM bacteria or algae, but this needs to be part of a range of new technology and an overall change in attitudes to our energy needs, which ought to restore some sort of balance between the way we live and the way people in the developing world are forced to live as a result.

I was just saying that people who brew their own biodiesel using waste oil shouldn't be equated with the fuel companies who are contibuting to the food crisis.

IMO they will get biofuels right in the future, e.g. using GM bacteria or algae, but this needs to be part of a range of new technology and an overall change in attitudes to our energy needs, which ought to restore some sort of balance between the way we live and the way people in the developing world are forced to live as a result.

Using waste oil is recycling also. What happened to all this waste oil originally?