Derbyshire Moorings

Rob_rs2000

Featured Posts

I am currently trying to put together a plan for our move from bricks and morter onto the waterways. I am fairly happy with what we want in aboat and what we can afford etc..

The problem we are having is finding a mooring (not an uncommon problem i am sure).

We need to stay close to Derby, so our options are T&M Canal, River Trent, River Sour and the Erawash. We have looked at Sawley Marina and Mercia Marina, but neither have residential moorings available. BW moorings are no good to us due to none available in this erea.

Does anyone know of any smaller marinas or private moorings in this area that may have vacancys or a waiting list?

I am currently trying to put together a plan for our move from bricks and morter onto the waterways. I am fairly happy with what we want in aboat and what we can afford etc..

The problem we are having is finding a mooring (not an uncommon problem i am sure).

We need to stay close to Derby, so our options are T&M Canal, River Trent, River Sour and the Erawash. We have looked at Sawley Marina and Mercia Marina, but neither have residential moorings available. BW moorings are no good to us due to none available in this erea.

Does anyone know of any smaller marinas or private moorings in this area that may have vacancys or a waiting list?

Hi Rob,

i have recently asked Newark re any moorings coming up in our area - there will be two at cranfleet and one at Bishop Meadow in loughborough being offered in the tender system shortly. Willow Farm are refusing any liveaboards - you can go on a waiting list at shardlow marina but i understand that it involves a £2000 deposit

cheers Bill and Denise NB Indulgence

Thanks for the replys so far.

Cranfleet looks interesting I will keep an eye on mooring tendering.

I cant find any info on "Willow Farm" is this above the lock at the Trent or are we talking about the BW moorings above the lock nr the heritage centre?

We have seen Chapel Farm at shardlow but have not contacted them yet.

I cant find any info on "Willow Farm" is this above the lock at the Trent or are we talking about the BW moorings above the lock nr the heritage centre?

There may be some room up at Langley Mill Boatyard which is at the top of the Erewash. It's about a 20 min drive into Derby on a good day. Not got the number handy but I reckon if you Google it it should be there. If not shout back and I may pop up there this weekend to collect my post so could get a number for you.

Sarah

There may be some room up at Langley Mill Boatyard which is at the top of the Erewash. It's about a 20 min drive into Derby on a good day. Not got the number handy but I reckon if you Google it it should be there. If not shout back and I may pop up there this weekend to collect my post so could get a number for you.

Sarah

Langley Mill Boat Services .. . > 01773 760758.

Willowbrook Farm is above Shardlow Lock. Nice on line moorings. 3 with power. I think about 10 boats.

Chapel Farm . Full and AFAIK long waiting list but I'll check.

• 3 weeks later...

Before you read this I apologise, you do need a land based address, as they don't take full time liveaboards. Sorry I must learn to read posts thoroughly before replying.

We are moving onto the brand new Mercia Marina, just outside Findern, between Derby and Burton in early September. They are due to flood the site on 27th July, and expect to be able to take boats by mid-August.

If you're interested they are taking early reservations, and offering 10% off first years fees to the first 150 boats.

The link below will take you to their web site. We found the manager, a chap called Robert Neff most helpful and informative.

www.merciamarina.co.uk

robert@merciamarina.co.uk is Robert Neff's email address

hope this helps,

Lynne

sorry, I intended that as a link, but the URL is correct anyway.

Edited by Griffindale

• 3 weeks later...

I moor at Willowbrook Moorings. I can't remember the phone number, but it's on the sign at the moorings. It puts you through to Tracey who lives in Willowbrook Cottage and looks after the mooring.

She was showing a few people around a couple of weeks ago, so there maybe spaces. If you are interested I could get you the number.

It is not a residential mooring, but a lot of us spend a great deal of time there.

The prices at Willowbrook are quite reasonable too, failing that I would also recomend the new marina near Willington mentioned previously. There was one place at Stenson when I was looking a year ago.

Good Luck

Mark

Hi Rob,

i have recently asked Newark re any moorings coming up in our area - there will be two at cranfleet and one at Bishop Meadow in loughborough being offered in the tender system shortly. Willow Farm are refusing any liveaboards - you can go on a waiting list at shardlow marina but i understand that it involves a £2000 deposit

cheers Bill and Denise NB Indulgence

There is no deposit to be payed at Shardlow Marina, if they have a mooring residential/ non residential all you have to do is pay the mooring fees and move in, easy.

i recently asked at langly mill , they had 4x 50 ft berths last year , this year none , one has a sailaway that they built by lm and was sold via sawly last year though it was taken back and insulated before being eventually sold, they say they have no more moorings and wont be adding any new ones due to their electric supply not being able to cope , the 4 new 50ft moorings were dug out at the top end , cromford canal as such .

be nice to see the cromford extended , theirs a new project to do with horses furtheir up and their doing about a mile off the disused canal and i think i recall hearing that the were putting a horse drawn canal boat on that stretch ?.