Worcs & Brum empty

Moley

Featured Posts

Has anyone just seen anything on local news? I missed it, my mother has just phoned to tell me. It seems there has been something of a leak to the Worcs & Brum, the water's gone, boats grounded, hire boaters having to abandon ship.

BW have a stoppage posted, but local 'Midlands Today' streaming is still showing the brief lunchtime edition.

19 - 20 May 2008 Stoppage: Lock 16 and Lock 17

Associated Regional Office: BW West Midlands

Towpath has been closed

The canal is closed as investigation and rectification work is required to a leak on the canal bed.

Update to be supplied Tuesday 20th May 2008.

British Waterways apologises for any inconvenience.

(Enquiries: 01827 252000)

I can confirm that the canal has a major leak, we were moored between Hanbury and Astwood yesterday when we noticed that the water level was dropping - I rang BW and they were aware of it, we just managed to get out as the level dropped more and managed to get above Astwood bottom lock, there is now a closeure sign on Astwood bottom lock and chain round the gates. The trouble and strife had a gongoozle down at Hanbury wharf this morning and there are boats sitting in the mud. Appears a sluice has gone belly up in the Tibberton area.

Went up the Worcester Birmingham last weekend moored up sunday afternoon at Alvechurch then I see the news on Monday happened over Sunday Monday but they did remark down at Lowesmoor Wharf on Saturday morning that the levels were down in the basin by about 5" now we Know why, all to do with a wooden cork for drainage rotting away. Anyway hoping to get down the Worcester Birmingham to Gas Street basin on Friday and then down the Birmingham Fazeley and Coventry Canal and then onto the Oxford, any tips on mooring is that the best way to get to the Oxford to my destination Brinklow?

Quote BW:

Update to the current Emergency Stoppage

We have concluded our initial investigation into the leak from the canal bed, to effect a repair the stoppage will remain in place until 2pm on Friday 23rd May 2008. This will enable us to carry out the required emergency repairs to the Bed Valve. The closure is limited to between the winding hole by Lake Bridge (29) and the Droitwich Canal Connection (Bridge 35) by the instillation of fabric dams, the water levels either side of the this will be restored by Wednesday 21st May 2008 at 1pm to allow passage either side of the stoppage for craft already in the pound.

British Waterways apologises for any inconvenience.

Went up the Worcester Birmingham last weekend moored up sunday afternoon at Alvechurch then I see the news on Monday happened over Sunday Monday but they did remark down at Lowesmoor Wharf on Saturday morning that the levels were down in the basin by about 5" now we Know why, all to do with a wooden cork for drainage rotting away. Anyway hoping to get down the Worcester Birmingham to Gas Street basin on Friday and then down the Birmingham Fazeley and Coventry Canal and then onto the Oxford, any tips on mooring is that the best way to get to the Oxford to my destination Brinklow?

Well you're not going to have a good day of it... Lets hope the construction crew get that paddle fixed on Farmer's bridge.

Good beer and honest food in the Prince of Wales on Cambridge St. mooring in Cambrian Wharf will be noisy this weekend if you can get in near Gas St you'll probably be better off (if you're not there already!)