N.B. Evening Star

john b.

Featured Posts

While looking for other plumbing hardware came across these little things...

0894.gif

http://www.gofixit.co.uk/

They look very similar to skin fittings, brass and come in 28mm sizes with a BSP thread on the end. The difference? These are designed to connect to water tanks and the price £1.60 each !

I'm sure they would work perfectly as skin fittings - any one tried them?

Edited by stuart

Stuart.

Be very careful about using anything which could possibly get hooked up on bank side obstacles, someone in an earlier reply said that as long as they don't protrude further than the rubbing strakes it is ok.

That is not the case things are not as symmetrical as that, even purpose made fittings which are strongly made and deeply chamfered still can get ripped off.

Edited by John Orentas

I've only used fittings from the chandlers designed to do the job and as you say they have a chamfered edge and are quite flush to the hull.

Still may have risked these other fittings - at 80% cheaper than the skin fitting prices!

Either could get ripped off if your having a bad driving day :blush:

Be very careful about using anything which could possibly get hooked up on bank side obstacles, someone in an earlier reply said that as long as they don't protrude further than the rubbing strakes it is ok. 

That is not the case things are not as symmetrical as that, even purpose made fittings which are strongly made and deeply chamfered still can get ripped  off.

Yes, see the photo above.

- The is a picutre of one of our skin fitting after we riped it off.

- It didnt stick out from the strakes, but its a good 8inches below the strake, and the sharp corner of towpath just though wrenbury lift bridge, and he steel capping just twanged it right off! - the bugger!

Daniel

I've only used fittings from the chandlers designed to do the job and as you say they have a chamfered edge and are quite flush to the hull.

Still may have risked these other fittings - at 80% cheaper than the skin fitting prices!

Either could get ripped off if your having a bad driving day :blush:

21299[/snapback]

Stuart.

I'm not saying don't use them just make sure they are up to the job, maybe grind the flats off. As I have said before I prefer steel fittings welded in place.

Chris

If you have a gray waste tank why are you not using it for everything,

i thought that was the point of it, and if i did not use mine the outlets would be on or below the water line for the basin and sink, i defiantly could not get them 10'' above without raising the sinks to an unusable hight.

Chris

If you have a gray waste tank why are you not using it for everything,

i thought that was the point of it, and if i did not use mine the outlets would be on or  below the water line for the basin and sink, i defiantly could not get them 10'' above without raising the sinks to an unusable hight.

21394[/snapback]

Richard

I have two welded outlet pipes. One will serve the grey water tank which contains the pump and float switch. The other is kept in reserve for the time that I fit a washing machine.

The grey water tank will receive waste water piped from the wasbasin, the shower, the sink, and also from a collection header into which the various drain valves and relief valves will discharge.

I was going to move the outlets because they are set too far back (fabrication error), but I have found that I need to make a hatch in the wall of the bathroom to access some of the calorifier connections. This hatch will also allow me to inspect the hose connections to the outlets, so they can stay where they are.

So no need for those fancy brass skin fittings.

LB left the outlets projecting about 2".

John O, I promise to grind the outlets off flush with the hull side so they don't snag on any canal nasties. :blush: