Mooring in Cambridge

NBDensie

Featured Posts

We are planning to spend some time in the Fens this summer with our 57ft NB. I understand mooring in Cambridge is difficult - does anyone know the situation and if it isnt possible to spend a few nights at Jesus Lock, where the nearest alternative is?

We are planning to spend some time in the Fens this summer with our 57ft NB. I understand mooring in Cambridge is difficult - does anyone know the situation and if it isnt possible to spend a few nights at Jesus Lock, where the nearest alternative is?

Jesus Lock is 48 hour Cam Conservancy moorings. It might be worth joining GOBA, the Great Ouse Boating Association, to get access to their moorings.

There are moorings at the Penny Ferry, a local pub (might let you stay the night) but, apart from this, the nearest alternative is Clayhithe which is (I believe) another 48 hours-only. Whilst it is outside of the city centre, it is peaceful and close to a railway station with frequent trains into Cambridge. It's not too far out of Cambridge; 30 minutes, if that, by bike along the towpath.

Other than that, there's an EA mooring at Fidwell Fen (just past Botisham Lock) and at Upware. You can definitely cycle into Cambridge from the latter (we're living there next year!) and I don't know about the former.

You could probably head into Cambridge and if the visitor's moorings are full moor up along the bank, just for the night; they're residential moorings, but the waiting list is moving (all too) slowly and I wouldn't imagine one night would hurt. It is VERY shallow below the lock on the opposite side to the weir and some narrowboats have trouble mooring up against that bank.

Just a few other notes; the Cam is infested with rowers (like me!) although if you go after June all the college rowers won't be there so it'll be less busy. The end of July sees the Town Bumps and a LOT of traffic on the river. I don't want to sound patronising, but the Cam below Baitsbite Lock is very congested at times and stressful for all concerned. Generally rowers will avoid narrowboats by nipping around or slowing down until it's safe to pass; almost like nippy motorbikes around HGVs on a motorway! If a situation becomes dangerous, the emergency stop call is "HOLD IT UP!" which will (if the rower in question is following the rules) stop dead in the water. If a boat doesn't seem to have seen you, a call of "Ahead Scull!" (Or double, four, or eight, depending on what boat it is!) will alert them to your presence. :D Please don't be offended if you know all this already; just trying to keep everyone safe, and warn you that the "affleets" in rowing boats aren't out for a leisurely paddle and occasionally (no, often!) do stupid things.

Edit to say: It's also probably worth checking the Cam Conservator's website and their calendar to see when the river's closed for rowing, canoeing or fishing events.

Edited by FadeToScarlet

Having spent three summers in that area in the last decade I would suggest that joining GOBA is a must - but do be ready for grumpy cruiser owners who resent you taking so much mooring - if you can it is best to 'hang off' one end so that you do not appear to greedy. Take your time and do not overlook the rivers Little Ouse, Lark and Wissey as they are absolute jewels and will be very quiet when compared to the main system. Fadetoscarlet offers sound advise about the rowers, if only we had known those commands it would have made life a little less stressful as Cambridge can be hard work now. When we went for the first time in 2000 there was all the space you could want; how much things have changed.

It is a great area for cruising - good luck.

I would add make sure you visit Ely -- it's a lovely place, fabulous cathedral and plenty of mooring space along the waterfront which is right at the heart of the town. Definitely join GOBA -- they have a lot of moorings all over the region -- and stop to visit the great little Drainage Engine Museum at Prickwillow on the Lark which has some awesome diesel engines. There is a decent length of mooring almost outside.

Cambridge 1978

I re-call going to Cambridge in 1978 September

The keeper at jexus said I could not go through the lock in my 45' NB.

I asked why ? he said not allowed !

I went to fine the Cam Conservators office in the town hall. Office existed but never used.

I found the Public Wharf by Magdelane Bridge full of punts.

Went back to lock and demanded passage (remember the Right of Navigation).

The lock keeper quoted by-laws at me and the only one that made sence was that A NARROWBOATY MIGHT CAUSE NUISANCE TO OTHER RIVER USERS

I said in that case I shall be at the lock onb 8 am Tuesday Sept 7th or 8th ish when there is unlikely to be any other river users.

He let me through and I think I paid £1.50 passage and was given reams of 6p. (old money) punt tickets as he only has 6p tickets.

We went through the backs and returned to the Wharf where I won my argument with the punt operator and he moved his illeggally moored punts from the Town Wharf where we spent the next 2 days.

Boating was sport then!

Cambridge 1978

I re-call going to Cambridge in 1978 September

The keeper at jexus said I could not go through the lock in my 45' NB.

I asked why ? he said not allowed !

I went to fine the Cam Conservators office in the town hall. Office existed but never used.

I found the Public Wharf by Magdelane Bridge full of punts.

Went back to lock and demanded passage (remember the Right of Navigation).

The lock keeper quoted by-laws at me and the only one that made sence was that A NARROWBOATY MIGHT CAUSE NUISANCE TO OTHER RIVER USERS

I said in that case I shall be at the lock onb 8 am Tuesday Sept 7th or 8th ish when there is unlikely to be any other river users.

He let me through and I think I paid £1.50 passage and was given reams of 6p. (old money) punt tickets as he only has 6p tickets.

We went through the backs and returned to the Wharf where I won my argument with the punt operator and he moved his illeggally moored punts from the Town Wharf where we spent the next 2 days.

Boating was sport then!

P4060546.jpg

I doubt you'd get them to move now! A boating friend simply chained his (70'!) narrowboat to the ends of most of the punts to moor up. It would be fun to do that first thing one morning in the height of summer before Scudamores start work....

What are Town Bumps???? We're heading that way end of July. Well we're setting off from March on the 28th July hoping to get to Cambridge and back in a week. Should we avoid Cambridge altogether then and not venture in with the boat? We're hiring a 52 footer from Fox for a week.

Edited by tillergirl

What are Town Bumps???? We're heading that way end of July. Well we're setting off from March on the 28th July hoping to get to Cambridge and back in a week. Should we avoid Cambridge altogether then and not venture in with the boat? We're hiring a 52 footer from Fox for a week.

"Bumps" is a kind of racing (almost) unique to Cambridge; 17 boats line up 90 feet apart, a dirty great cannon goes off, and then they all race along chasing the boat in front and aiming to hit it. It's worth seeing, of only for the spectacular crashes in the less-skilled lower divisions!

The river's closed between 6pm and 10pm ish, and even then it's not completely closed; they would let you go through between divisions after that division has raced.

Don't worry about avoiding Cambridge on those dates; if anything, come over and bring a picnic and sit on Grassy Corner with a G&T. And, of course, cheer for Chesterton RC, clearly the best rowing club on the river :D :D

If I remember from 1978 was the 2 miles before Jesus Lock where you steered on the 'wrong' side ?

Off to Ricky. have a nice day 1

There's a short bit at the Gut, Grassy Corner and Plough Reach where you switch over to the left hand side, and then switch back; this is because of the annoyingly sharp Grassy Corner, and makes rowing safer; apparently the only place in the country where navigation rules have been changed to aid rowing boats!

Bumps:

(Cantabrigian First Men's boat rowing over (i.e. safe from the boat behind) at the top of the First Division last year.

A couple of boats behind them (including one with me in the coxes seat)

You can join GOBA online by visiting their website at www.goba.org.uk. Their are 2 new GOBA moorings on the Cam for this season.

clicky

The Cam byelaws are rather different to the canals and other rivers. The rowers can close the river to navigation for races, and race marshal instructions must be followed. Also, at all times as you approach "The Plough" at Fen Ditton watch out for the signs to indicate a change of navigation from right to left and vice-versa. To give the rowers a straight line on the bendy river, t he rules of road change from driving on the right to driving on the left - and then back again. This applies to all boats - keep a lookout for the signs.

Look forward to seeing you all over the summer

Mike

You can join GOBA online by visiting their website at www.goba.org.uk. Their are 2 new GOBA moorings on the Cam for this season.

clicky

The Cam byelaws are rather different to the canals and other rivers. The rowers can close the river to navigation for races, and race marshal instructions must be followed. Also, at all times as you approach "The Plough" at Fen Ditton watch out for the signs to indicate a change of navigation from right to left and vice-versa. To give the rowers a straight line on the bendy river, t he rules of road change from driving on the right to driving on the left - and then back again. This applies to all boats - keep a lookout for the signs.

Look forward to seeing you all over the summer

Mike

Although the rules are there, in practice the inside of Grassy corner (the particularly tight corner) is quite shallow and weedy, so you'll want to stay reasonably wide if you're heading into town; I've almost grounded a friend's narrowboat by cutting it too tightly (having been used to getting in as close as possible for rowing: oops!).

http://www.cucbc.org/map a VERY good zoomable active Google Maps thingy that shows some of the problem spots and the crossover points.

http://headofthecam.org/draw/CRA-Head-of-t...FETY-PLAN-1.pdf an overhead view of part of the tricky bit (last page of the PDF; the most appropriate view from a document I wrote that I could find!)