Trent trip

Featured Posts

Here's my next job, taking a 25' cabin cruiser ( inboard diesel ) from Sawley marina to Whitley lock, which involves 43 miles of tidal Trent. Setting off next Saturday ( my birthday ) so you can send me a card next year instead! :P Got insurance sorted and had a chat with the Humber Pilots. So its a go for throttle 12 mid day Saturday, try and make Cromwell lock, and go for HW Sunday. I'll take me camera and get some pickys, especially Keadby bridge as I used to walk across it when I was a wee lad. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Well here's a quick run down of the trip.

Left Sawley marina 10am Saturday in a 27' plastic pig! very strong winds was blowing me all over the place. Made Newark on Trent by night fall.

5am start to make cromwell lock and high water. No wind and very sunny. All was going well untill the prop got fouled by bailing twine which stalled the engine. Managed to free the prop, but while I was hung over the back, the boat drifted on to a sand bank. Three hours later after been pulled off the sand bank by a narrow boat, I was on my way again. Unfortunately, when the boat grounded, it disabled reverse on the out drive :D all of a sudden this trip was going pear shaped! Made Torksey pontoon by 130pm. Left at 5am with two other narrow boats and by 10am we was at Keadby lock ( 27 miles ) Eventually got on the Stainforth and Keadby canal when the engine over heated, (blocked raw water filter) fixed that and the reverse problem, called a chap from Thorne boat services (lee Guest) top man, just fiddled with a catch under the outdrive and away we went. Got to Thorne and operated one of many swing bridges, and this particular one decided to throw a fault light, one hour later after turning 30 something cars around ( bariers lock down) Bw man turned up to over ride, 5th time today I been out to this sodding bridge he said :D Made Pollington lock by 815pm to find Bw had closed it till 8am, I only had 2 mile to go! DOH. Back in the morning and finished job off.

108 miles (43 tidal)

16 Locks

36 Hours (ish)

Today, picked up a brand new 57' LP wide beam from Bristol marina and delivered with proud owner to Saltford Marine. No problems and very enjoyable. :D

12 Miles

5 Locks

5 Hours