60' x 12'6" wide beam

floater

Featured Posts

Placed a deposit on Sunday for a new build.

I've been planning and researching this for around 1 year and I'm amazed its actually started

As always feel free to add constructive thoughts.

Builder is Piper

Size 60' x 12'6" Sailaway

Spec:

Pre shot and primed steel

15mm base

8mm chine

8mm hull sides

5mm cabin

Chined bottom (8' base plate with chine, finishing 1' foot above base plate height)

9' x 9'10" collapsible aft wheel house

Hydraulic steering

Bow thruster tube to suit Vetus bow 125 (24 volt.) Located in seperate locker aft of water tank. Includes weed hatch

Beta 90 hp (Presumably with max of 18" prop) TBC

approx 22" draft

Dutch barge style windows and ports

Split fuel tank

Grey and black tanks

Delivery planned mid-end June 08

She'll be used for Cruising southern broad network and Europe.

Also we're hoping she'll be suitable for a family of 4.

Thats all thats been decided so far. Plans to follow when i work out a suitable way to post my Google sketch up model and Excel plan. Any suggestion on how to do this then please P.M. (I'll also search threads)

Dave

P.S. I also proposed in Pipers car park. What a romantic eh. B)

Congratulations. And you're getting married!

We lived on the nearby Macclesfield canal for a while and I visited the Piper factory. Not that know much about new builds, I was very impressed with their set-up. A young lad showed me round a few boats at various stages of build and if we could have afforded one we may well have bought one from them.

There were a couple of guys fitting out their own sail-aways in Piper's yard and they both found the advice (and equipment) invaluable.

6 - 8 weeks sounds mighty quick from order to delivery.

Good luck

Jo

Dear David,

Good Luck with your project the progress of which I will follow with great interest.

I am planning a similar project and my current research conserns the central heating:

Do you know of anyone with experience of underfloor heating.

Friendly yours

JAN

• 3 weeks later...

Fit out will be at bristol marina.

I think middle June is a bit optimistic especially as the steel is still in Holland. Its been shot blasted and primed and is now awaiting delivery.

Set up at pipers is great plus Simon inspires confidence. We'll have to wait and see how it all turns out

I don't know if she'll really be a dutch barge or an English style wide beam. The bottom will be chined and she'll have a rear wheel house She won't curve up at the bow and stern quite like a D.B. Also draft will be around 2'

Still need to upload plans I'll hopefully find time this weekend around wedding plans.

Edited by floater

• 2 weeks later...

The steel was delivered on Friday. Engine is on order. Build should start over the next 1 1/2 weeks.

We'll be at Crick on Sunday looking for more ideas for fitout. So will Piper with two narrowboats and a dutch barge.

• 1 month later...

Delivery date is now September. Here are some pictures taken on 28.6.8

CIMG1844.jpg

CIMG1845.jpg

CIMG1860.jpg

CIMG1866.jpg

CIMG1876.jpg

And 5.7.8.

CIMG1892.jpg

CIMG1894.jpg

CIMG1898.jpg

CIMG1911.jpg

CIMG1921.jpg

bowthrusterweedhatchtouchdup.jpg

CIMG1915.jpg

CIMG1890.jpg

Edit - Photos missing due to album changing in photobucket

Edited by floater

6.jpg

Nice - looks a bit like one of Gary's barges but without the fixed wheelhouse.

Edit: I've got a question: In your plan it looks like the kitchen is in the wheelhouse, which is a good space saving location if it's a fixed wheelhouse, but from the drawing above it looks like a folding wheelhouse. Am I not reading the plan properly?

Mike

Edited by blackrose

Edit: I've got a question: In your plan it looks like the kitchen is in the wheelhouse, which is a good space saving location if it's a fixed wheelhouse, but from the drawing above it looks like a folding wheelhouse. Am I not reading the plan properly?

Yes she will have a collapsible wheel house. This is something I've pondered on for some time. Ultimately I'm building for live aboard to bring up a family so it's a happy compromise to maximize space.

I'm planing on building the carcases for the kitchen units from treated ply. All power will be from IP66 rated sockets. ceiling lights will be fed from jack.

Unless I've missed something then i don't see any problems more over than usually faced with a collapsible wheel house.

Edited by floater

Yes she will have a collapsible wheel house. This is something I've pondered on for some time. Ultimately I'm building for live aboard to bring up a family so it's a happy compromise to maximize space.

I'm planing on building the carcases for the kitchen units from treated ply. All power will be from IP66 rated sockets. ceiling lights will be fed from jack.

Unless I've missed something then i don't see any problems more over than usually faced with a collapsible wheel house.

I'm not saying it can't be done - just that I've never seen a working kitchen built inside a collapsible wheelhouse. I'll be interested to see how it works.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Would a boat like that be built to category C or D and would you be able to cruise to France with the finished article?

Yes, I've spoken to my insurers, GJW, who have no issues covering the crossing. I would need to hire an approved pilot for the trip. Also have to wait for good weather.

She'll be cat D.

Small set back on plans as i've broken my ankle - 2 months recovery time. :lol: I'll be using this time for more planning, research, purchasing and resting.

Delivery will be within the next few weeks following my pre delivery inspection - Should be fun on crutches.

Edited by floater

Yes, I've spoken to my insurers, GJW, who have no issues covering the crossing. I would need to hire an approved pilot for the trip. Also have to wait for good weather.

She'll be cat D.

I'm surprised you're considering going to sea in a Cat D boat and also that your insurers are happy about it?

• 4 weeks later...

Got delivered today at Bristol Marina. Can't get on and have a look around though because of my broken ankle. :lol:

Looked through the window like a kid looking into a sweet shop.

The wife took a few picture's i'll post soon.

Got delivered by Baber transport Bristol - Did a great job.

Have to wait for the break to fix now. Not good as i can see myself spending loads buying tool online

Got delivered today at Bristol Marina. Can't get on and have a look around though because of my broken ankle. :lol:

Looked through the window like a kid looking into a sweet shop.

The wife took a few picture's i'll post soon.

Got delivered by Baber transport Bristol - Did a great job.

Have to wait for the break to fix now. Not good as i can see myself spending loads buying tool online

well done, just leave some space for my boat ......... :lol:

are you parked by the fast food stall?

well done, just leave some space for my boat ......... :lol:

are you parked by the fast food stall?

No i managed to get inside, where your boat was. Your in the water now. (floating on the water) Congrats :lol:

Edited by floater

• 3 weeks later...

Some more pics.

CIMG2289.jpg

CIMG2294.jpg

CIMG2328.jpg

CIMG2332.jpg

CIMG2325.jpg

Air Gap above bearers

AirGapabovebearers.jpg

Ballast and floor bearer

Ballastandfloorbearer.jpg

CIMG2303.jpg

CIMG2311.jpg

CIMG2308.jpg

CIMG2307.jpg

Typical insulation thickness

Typicalinsulationthickness.jpg

Battery tray & starboard swim tank below with outlet feed to port swim tank. grey pipe

Batterytrayswimtankbeloweithoutlett.jpg

Grey tank, bateery tray, swim tanks and connecting pipe

Greytankbateerytrayswimtanksandconn.jpg

Framing details:

Hull Frames

8mm 1 x L section Stringer (longitudal)

Knees (verticals)@670mm ctrs.

Floor frames

670mm ctrs 8mm thick uprights and cross piece tac welded to make T’s.

Superstructure 5mm plate

Cabin framing - None

Roof - 450mm ctrs rectangular channel 2” horizontal x 1 ½” vertical

Engine 90hp 3.8ltr beta

Tanks Split fuel 700ltr each, black to port fwd of midship, fresh at bow

So where t start!

First job will be treating the timber floor bearers and ply with cuprinol. I might also remove ballast for waxoyl and to add some kind of barrier between floor and ballast (to prevent rubbing and improve drainage) Might use denso tape, 1mm twin and earth cable (at diagonals) or roofing felt

Still on the mend at the moment so won't be for a few weeks

Edited by floater

engine compartment bulkhead and greytankfurther fwd

engineareabulkheadandgreytankfurthe.jpg

fuelfilterwaterseperator.jpg

hydralic ram, engine tank, rudder gland greaser, emergency tiller

hydralicramenginetankrudderglandgre.jpg

Additional upright for engine bearers

Additionaluprightforenginebearers-P.jpg

CIMG2441.jpg

Hydralic ram, emergency tiller, fuel drain

Hydralicramemergencytillerfueldrain.jpg