electrical system

fudd

Featured Posts

I see where you are coming from Windjammer, but I can probably afford the best and most efficient system but only if I fit it myself. I also like to know what I would be getting for my money. Thanks. Steve P.

Hello everyone. If money was no object, what energy system would one install on a 70' live aboard replica dutch barge. Steve P.

Victron 5KVA Quatro Inverter Charger.

Northern Lights 7KW cocooned genset.

Victron VE Net to control those.

800 Ah of AGM batteries.

Energy solutions ESP system for the DC side of things.

Straight domestic style distribution for the AC side of things.

Actually this is what we are fitting at the moment.

It does become a bit complex though!

Victron 5KVA Quatro Inverter Charger.

Northern Lights 7KW cocooned genset.

Victron VE Net to control those.

800 Ah of AGM batteries.

Energy solutions ESP system for the DC side of things.

Straight domestic style distribution for the AC side of things.

Actually this is what we are fitting at the moment.

It does become a bit complex though!

Thanks Gary. No mention of a dc generator then?

Why AGM batteries Gary? In what way are they "best"?????

Chris

The owner can't do any maintenance he's in a wheelchair.

We do normally go with AGM's though purely because we got fed up of having to try and claim under warranty for customers who neglected to top up wet cells or repatedly over discharged them.

We also use Rolls Series 4/5000 which some say are among the best the price is a bit scary though but it does encourage a good maintenance schedule.

People forget batteries are consumables and expect too much from them. The cycle life of AGM's and GEL are on paper better but if you abuse any battery the results will be the same regardless of spec and cost.

The cycle life of AGM's and GEL are on paper better but if you abuse any battery the results will be the same regardless of spec and cost.

The cycle life of AGM's and Gels are NOT better than wet cells. You will never see a comparison in their specs against wet cells because they know the results are worse. They only show number of cycles of discharge against expected life................... and they use relatively shallow discharge figures in their graphs!!

Chris

Thanks Gary. No mention of a dc generator then?

Victron used to be great advocates of the DC concept but seem to over the last few years mentioned it less.

On this boat it would be pretty pointless because the gen set will be run to power the air con (AC) for both cooling and reverse cycle heating most of this time. The gen set will have the excess power to charge the batteries via the quatro.

Edited by Gary Peacock

Victron used to be great advocates of the DC concept but seem to over the last few years mentioned it less.

On this boat it would be pretty pointless because the gen set will be run to power the air con (AC) for both cooling and reverse cycle heating most of this time. The gen set will have the excess power to charge the batteries via the quatro.

Thanks Gary. I have read so much on dc gensets and they all state that they are much more efficient at charging a battery bank. Less hours = less fuel used, less hours on the main engine etc. Just don't know what way to go.

Thanks Gary. I have read so much on dc gensets and they all state that they are much more efficient at charging a battery bank. Less hours = less fuel used, less hours on the main engine etc. Just don't know what way to go.

The cycle life of AGM's and Gels are NOT better than wet cells. You will never see a comparison in their specs against wet cells because they know the results are worse. They only show number of cycles of discharge against expected life................... and they use relatively shallow discharge figures in their graphs!!

Chris

Cheers for your input Chris. What way would you go? You seem knowledgeable about these sort of things? Steve P.

Chris

i just read this in the sterling catologue page 17...