Widebeam in Chester?

nursegrowl

Featured Posts

Hi, I'm wondering just how far, if anywhere at all, I could go in Chester with a ten foot wide boat? I'll be living by Waverton, but wonder if I could get right though to Chester City, or anywhere else..I've had a wader arounf by the canal, and some of the locks look narrow.............

Thanks xxxxxxxx

Sorry, I think I'm being thick, can I get through Chester though? I'm not sure where that lies in respect of the E. Port to Nantwich Canal!!

Thanks Hon. xxxxxxxxxxxx

I think the easiest way to explain is:

Have a look here waterscape and select the Shropshire Union in the box marked number one.

Hi Nursegrowl

Have a look here map, you will see Nantwich (on the left of the map) all of the red lines, are canals that you can go on.

If you place your cursor on the lines the name of the canal will appear and if you 'click' then a guide will also appear.

Of course, if you're feeling adventurous there's the river Dee itself

Oh dear Oh dear, having read Nursegrowls posts she may well turn RIGHT as she leaves the sea lock, though they do say Ireland is very nice in the Spring time.

You can certainly get to Nantwich and Ellesmerport, some years ago when we were still moored in the lower Dee branch basin a 10' beam 60'er came in from the Dee having sailed down the coast from the Lancaster canal, they took it to Nantwich, (you will have to wind at the Nantwich basin branch) we saw on it's way back moored up by the golf course near Waverton, they then went to the port and I believe up the ship canal, don't know where they ended up after. Look foreward to seeing go past us at Calveley one of these days

David

Don't forget you can also go through the lock at The Port which opens up the Manchester Ship Canal, River Weaver, Trent and Mersey (a bit of it, anyway, via the Anderton Lift) and the the northern waterways such as Bridgewater, Leeds Liverpool, Rochdale, etc via Pomona Lock near Castlefield on the Bridgewater itself.

There is, I blieve, a problem at thye Ellesmere Port end of the S.U. Motorway works there as I recall have inserted a bridge too narrow for widebeams.

Don't take my word for it, but do check. No problem through Chester itself.

RiverDee not recommended without a pilot - the weir is tricky.

Oh dear Oh dear, having read Nursegrowls posts she may well turn RIGHT as she leaves the sea lock, though they do say Ireland is very nice in the Spring time.

You can certainly get to Nantwich and Ellesmerport, some years ago when we were still moored in the lower Dee branch basin a 10' beam 60'er came in from the Dee having sailed down the coast from the Lancaster canal, they took it to Nantwich, (you will have to wind at the Nantwich basin branch) we saw on it's way back moored up by the golf course near Waverton, they then went to the port and I believe up the ship canal, don't know where they ended up after. Look foreward to seeing go past us at Calveley one of these days

David