DIY paintjob

Featured Posts

Some advice needed please about repainting our 50 ft boat.

The boat is 10 years old and we have had her for 18 months, the paintwork is looking very tired and had been patched up by the previous owner, not too badly, but as novices to boating we have given her a few bashes and the rust has started.

We contacted a local painter with a view to getting the gunwales repainted and any other bits patched up. He has come back with a quote for the gunwales and a quote for a whole repaint job including blacking 4k.

We do not have the time or expertise to do a good job ourselves and we are tempted to get the whole job done as we are probably going to sell in the near future and get a bigger boat. Do you think we would increase the value of the boat by a new paint job or are we completely barking mad to think of spending that much money on a boat we are not going to keep!

It may be that repainting will only make the boat more sellable but not increase the value, which I suppose is still not a bad option.

Your thoughts please!

Some advice needed please about repainting our 50 ft boat.

The boat is 10 years old and we have had her for 18 months, the paintwork is looking very tired and had been patched up by the previous owner, not too badly, but as novices to boating we have given her a few bashes and the rust has started.

We contacted a local painter with a view to getting the gunwales repainted and any other bits patched up. He has come back with a quote for the gunwales and a quote for a whole repaint job including blacking 4k.

We do not have the time or expertise to do a good job ourselves and we are tempted to get the whole job done as we are probably going to sell in the near future and get a bigger boat. Do you think we would increase the value of the boat by a new paint job or are we completely barking mad to think of spending that much money on a boat we are not going to keep!

It may be that repainting will only make the boat more sellable but not increase the value, which I suppose is still not a bad option.Your thoughts please!

I think you've hit the nail on the head. It will certainly increase the value of the boat but not as much as you will spend. However it could make the boat sell faster which may be of value to you. Why not ask your man to give you a quote without drydocking & blacking - let the new owner do that. It could be up to £700 cheaper.

There is no doubt that a 'clean' boat will probably sell faster than a tatty one .... but whether you will be able to recoup your 4k is another matter entirely.

I don't imagine that too many people would be put off by a few scrapes on the gunnels ..... depending on the severity, of course!!

I suppose the real question is, would you pay £XX.00 to buy the boat as it stands, or would the condition put you off enough to go and look elsewhere if you were a potential buyer?

Thanks to all for yor comments,

Think we will get a valuation on the boat as it stands and then ask if a new paint job would increase that price. I suspect as you all say that it won't by very much if at all. It may though attract more interestand get a quicker sale.

Thanks again