Electrical layout

Greybeard

Featured Posts

Why not recommend a book or course in particular...

As nobody else has done so (and as Tony is presumably too polite to tout his wares), I would heartily recommend you sign up for Tony Brooks's course in Reading if it's not too far to get to from where you are. I was in the same position as you and now have a much surer footing as a result.

Very highly recommended.

And I was not paid to say that. :hug:

Why not recommend a book or course in particular, or offer useful advice of your own, instead of just criticising others advice, and saying this can happen and this may happen, and it'll all end in tears :hug:

cheers,

Pete.

Because I have no personal knowledge of any boat electrics courses I can't recommend one. With regard to books, I often glance through "boat electrics" books in chandlers etc and have never seen one that isn't too basic. There is a definite gap in the market IMHO. Hence my saying that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. If I recommended what I would consider a "good book" on the subject it would contain the inevitable maths and most people eschew books like that. In fact, many books openly state that they don't contain maths in an effort to encourage people to read them!!

Unlike you, I have many long years' experience in electronics and electrics and my warning is not criticism of any advice it is a genuine warning. Those of us who do happen to have deeper knowledge know how truly dangerous electrics can be on a boat - water, diesel, electrics, 240v and a battery capable of delivering over 5000W. I'm sure you wouldn't suggest someone read a book on say "dentristry" and then go practice on their friends etc.

I can't name a course for the reason stated above, but I strongly advocate finding one because you will get practical experience not just the theoretical experience you find in a book. Course first - book later. Back up the course with a book - the owner of the course will presumably recommend a couple of good ones.

Chris

As nobody else has done so (and as Tony is presumably too polite to tout his wares), I would heartily recommend you sign up for Tony Brooks's course in Reading if it's not too far to get to from where you are. I was in the same position as you and now have a much surer footing as a result.

Very highly recommended.

And I was not paid to say that. :hug:

Just for completeness and in case any rumours start circulating.

We had to cancel the 12th April TVU course last Friday because only 3 people had enrolled and as from June all the marine courses stop at Reading (they need the storage space for course that run more than a few times a year). However it is all but certain the same course will be offered by RCR Ltd at a cheaper price and at locations between Byfleet (Surrey) & Manchester from October - keep watching my website or see me at Crick.

I tend to agree witch Chris about the boat electrics books easily available and sometimes I find things I feel are somewhat misleading - hence my open access notes. I also agree that one should not recommend courses unless you have a very good insight the specific course. Otherwise you might be sending someone to waste their time and they might be given downright incorrect information.

If anyone wants a book list I tend to use the BMEA Codes of practice, The BSS handbook, The Marine Electrical & Electronics Bible ISBN 0-7136-5724-3 and some automotive electrical books I have collected over the years. The three books mentioned above will probably set you back best part of £200 and then there is the question of an individual actually understanding them.