Engine Mounting Bolts

Bones

Featured Posts

[snip]

No, but seriously it did come as a bit of a shock when it happened... It turned out that no damage was done, and the engine had realigned perfectly just by fastening the bottom nuts (that sounds painful too!)

C

Spurred on by a rare moment of enthusiasm (and I promised myself some gin) it doesn't catch when I turn the bit between the aquadrive and the engine. It just goes around nice and smoothly all the way around. I can't spin it like a spinning top but I can turn it pretty easily.

What next? :lol:

If you've got an Aquadrive then aligning the engine is not important. It will run fine inches out of line.

If you've got an Aquadrive then aligning the engine is not important. It will run fine inches out of line.

ok, so I just need to find out what the banging is! I shall do that later.

A quick check before you start to pull out drives etc. start the engine and have it in tickover CAREFULLY look at engine mountings L shaped brackets attaching engine to boat. It is possible and common for these to break . you will see it shaking about if this is the case. If this is the case it will need to be removed and welded not really a big problem. You should not need to realign anything as it will all bolt back in the same place.

I covered this under a topic a while back but its common for the Vetus engine ( I dont know what you have) to work its engine mounts loose, in my case so much so that it sheared one of them off, I got a replacement in steel not the original alloy. All 4 do work loose and I do check them regularly and tighten them up. I guess I should use loctite or nylock nuts but have not done so so far. As for the alignment I dont know for sure how good it is as the lower nuts have moved down so I have set the level on all 4 mounts by eye. The advantage I have is a centraflex coupling which is tollerant of some misalagnment

Charles

Good lordy! Normally when something goes wrong it goes wrong badly, thus my pessimissim yesterday. I am pleased I posted here instead of throwing my teddy out the window - actually, its a hippo, but as he doesnt like water he might as well be a teddy (although he seems to think water is my problem not his)....

I lowered myself into a wonderful contortion and managed to tighten up the bits that need tightening (after I had worked out that I was upside down and mental rotation was required - unfortunately this didn't kick in until I was fishing around the bilges for the bit I undid). The rocking has greatly reduced which is nothing but a triumph, the engine is running and I have awarded Bones a Gin.

I have learnt a thing or two:

firstly - undoing is NOT doing up

Secondly - getting yourself into all sorts of contorting positions is great, but getting out is a problem

thirdly - shut your mouth when your face lands in the bilges due to extraction from above

fourthy - there are bits on girls that should act as cushions and simply don't.

I have also learnt that all my chums are out and thus I shall have to drink beer to celebrate on my own. This is a sad and sorry fate of affairs.

Good lordy! Normally when something goes wrong it goes wrong badly, thus my pessimissim yesterday. I am pleased I posted here instead of throwing my teddy out the window - actually, its a hippo, but as he doesnt like water he might as well be a teddy (although he seems to think water is my problem not his)....

I lowered myself into a wonderful contortion and managed to tighten up the bits that need tightening (after I had worked out that I was upside down and mental rotation was required - unfortunately this didn't kick in until I was fishing around the bilges for the bit I undid). The rocking has greatly reduced which is nothing but a triumph, the engine is running and I have awarded Bones a Gin.

I have learnt a thing or two:

firstly - undoing is NOT doing up

Secondly - getting yourself into all sorts of contorting positions is great, but getting out is a problem

thirdly - shut your mouth when your face lands in the bilges due to extraction from above

fourthy - there are bits on girls that should act as cushions and simply don't.

I have also learnt that all my chums are out and thus I shall have to drink beer to celebrate on my own. This is a sad and sorry fate of affairs.

Yeah but you sorted it by yourself so you earned any reward you can get

No doubt you'll be watching it like a hawk for a while and take care of any bruised bits

Well done Bones - and were they the same bits we've all been trying to tell you about?

David

of course! :lol:

There are a few odd bits about the whole mounting thing though... next time someone passes by who knows about these things I shall make them a hostage and investigate it further; I am SURE something isn't quite right.

of course! :D

There are a few odd bits about the whole mounting thing though... next time someone passes by who knows about these things I shall make them a hostage and investigate it further; I am SURE something isn't quite right.

So how's it hanging; well lets be optimistic scince you'r now a mechanic :) ; how's it stand up to running now?

It has always seemed to me to be poor engineering solution to sit an engine between two nuts on a length of threaded rod which is the usual set up for flexible mounts. After a great deal of trouble with a three cylinder Ford I decided that the engine is better sitting on the top plate of the mount and that a nut and locking nut are then tightened on top of the engine foot.This may mean cutting a pad the same size as the top plate of the flexi-mount in order to adjust the engine foot height. If you dont have an Aquadrive or better still a Centaflex then the alignment can be set with shims between the engine foot and the top of the flexi-mount. We have had no breakages since adopting this solution and believe me the BSD3 is a beast to tame as Lister discovered. Regards, HughC.

So how's it hanging; well lets be optimistic scince you'r now a mechanic :D ; how's it stand up to running now?

It needs tighetening up a bit more, but I have been struck with a serious bought of man flu (no mocking please). I started it the other day and the banging had greatly reduced. I still need to get those engine mounts checked, as I think they aren't quite right, but that probably explains why the previous owner fitted an aquadrive. It is the sort of thing he would do - why fix a problem when something can hide it.

It needs tighetening up a bit more, but I have been struck with a serious bought of man flu (no mocking please). I started it the other day and the banging had greatly reduced. I still need to get those engine mounts checked, as I think they aren't quite right, but that probably explains why the previous owner fitted an aquadrive. It is the sort of thing he would do - why fix a problem when something can hide it.

I'm in Ox. and would be happy to check it out when I can fit it in(asumeing still in area & man flue ain't too contages, although I'm prety himune myself!). Tomorrow, mon. is cool after about 11.30. sometime for example. Then on a mish. for a couple or three days, but cud arrange something on the way back.

Thought I'd offer, as visiting garage & engineer , should anything need makeing|(beer money poss. appreciated!) while I'm there.

Best of luck, and congrats. on your recent mechanical conquest. :D

Hi

We suffer from vibration related nut loosening on some of our equipment and have been looking at the problem for a while.

We have ordered some locking nuts from a company called http://www.staytite.com/

Would any of their products solve some of the problems I've been reading about.

Not used them yet and I'm not affiliated to, owned by or sleeping with any member of their staff before anyone asks!!! :D

Thanks

Hi

We suffer from vibration related nut loosening on some of our equipment and have been looking at the problem for a while.

We have ordered some locking nuts from a company called http://www.staytite.com/

Would any of their products solve some of the problems I've been reading about.

Not used them yet and I'm not affiliated to, owned by or sleeping with any member of their staff before anyone asks!!! :D

Thanks

We have similar probs. I think Loctite is worth trying

http://www.loctite.co.uk/int_henkel/loctit...41&layout=3