Laquering Brass

DHutch

Featured Posts

If your buying mushrooms (Boat ones that is) the gold plate ones are really worth the small difference in price.

18077[/snapback]

Having had gold plated mushrooms (and gold plated ports) fitted when my boat was built in 1999, I have to respectfully totally disagree. They never had the deep colour of brass and have become faded and quite jaded over the years and, of course, cannot be polished, so there is nothing to be done to bring them back to life. I will be getting brass ones fitted as soon as I can find my Round Tuitt, and will certainly be reverting to brass (or even getting them painted) in any future boat.

Yes it is thinner these days.

Quote fron Brasso site:-

The recipe for the polish has basically remained the same throughout the last hundred years apart from a paste being replaced by a liquid.

24909[/snapback]

The paste formula was changed to a liquid more than 50 years ago. It was a liquid when I was a boy. The paste version (made by another manufacturer) used to be available but I haven't seen it for a number of years now

What about that stuff that the man sells at all the boat shows? that is wipe on wipe off with no rubbing.

24910[/snapback]

Richard

I think the product you are referring to is called Liberon, I use it and yes you paint it on and wash it off very little rubbing. It is slightly caustic so cover the paint work, I have just found another product that is just as easy to use and is non caustic, only it's on the boat and I can't remember the name, will have to post it after the weekend.

Having had gold plated mushrooms (and gold plated ports) fitted when my boat was built in 1999, I have to respectfully totally disagree.  They never had the deep colour of brass and have become faded and quite jaded over the years and, of course, cannot be polished, so there is nothing to be done to bring them back to life.  I will be getting brass ones fitted as soon as I can find my Round Tuitt, and will certainly be reverting to brass (or even getting them painted) in any future boat.

24920[/snapback]

The problem with boat chandlery is quality, the big suppliers take a lot of care where they buy from. Unfortunately for every good piece of brass wear there are usually two or three identical copy's originating from 3rd world swet shops of a far inferior quality but far more attractive price!

If you buy these products on price alone, then it's the look of the draw what your going to get. Being a tight fisted Yorkshire man I have found this out the hard way over the years! We now only use two or three of the large suppliers and now decline the attractive unbelievable offers we often receive by post and the white van men.

The quality of some items for sale is abysmal and the quality of some cheap light fittings scary.

The problem with boat chandlery is quality, the big suppliers take a lot of care where they buy from. Unfortunately for every good piece of brass wear there are usually two or three identical copy's originating from 3rd world swet shops of a far inferior quality but far more attractive price!

If you buy these products on price alone, then it's the look of the draw what your going to get. Being a tight fisted Yorkshire man I have found this out the hard way over the years! We now only use two or three of the large suppliers and now decline the attractive unbelievable offers we often receive by post and the white van men.

The quality of some items for sale is abysmal and the quality of some cheap light fittings scary.

24935[/snapback]

They were fitted by Warble Boatbuilders, not noted for their cheapness...

Under the gold plating there will be brass, is it not possable to just buff off the gold.

24972[/snapback]

The gold will only be a few microns thick it should be relatively easy to get it off with cutting compound on a polishing pad, the brass underneath will have been prepared to a good finish prior to gold plating so it should be possible to buff it up to a nice finish afterwards. It won't be the easiest job the ports would need to come out to do it but it would definetly save a few bob over replacing the job lot!

• 8 months later...

Time for a bit of feed back....

Having got the laqueer of gary (thanks again) and then spent several hours on our newly aqquired buffing wheel to get 15years of tarnish off them, then cleaning them with xyline, they vent tops where indeed laquered.

And last time i saw them (xmas) they where still looking as good as new,

- You need a good brush, very smooth bristled one.

- I used one of my sisters 1/2inch fancy art brushes, and that worked well.

- I goes on quite well, and drys very quickly indeed, and is very clear indeed.

Daniel

She would be pleased then.

She is still 100% unaware.

- The stuff cleans of really easly with a xylene, which is what stuff is based on. (hammerite thinners, or epoxy solvent B, or A, or one of them..)

Daniel

just come across this thread in time as i am about to clean brasswork.

anyone say what brand of laquer is best

Hi Gaggle,

I cleaned up all my brasswork last autumn and painted it with Rylards "Incralac". All the brass has stayed nice and shiny ever since. Very smelly stuff though, thin, watery and full of solvents that make it evapourate and dry very quickly, but very good stuff, I would recommend it.

Cheers, Andy.

What about that stuff that the man sells at all the boat shows? that is wipe on wipe off with no rubbing.

Do you mean Miracle leisure's Brass Mate as seen at Crick.The wife has used it but put it on with wire wool and swears that the wool was most effective.Not sure the brass mate was worth the expense.

i think we'll try the ketchup.