Chainsaw

laural

Featured Posts

Chainsaws certainly require a great deal of respect. I recently upgraded from an 1800W electric chainsaw to a 55cc petrol version. Both versions are capable of doing a great deal of damage in a very short space of time. The electric one is a bit safer in so much as the chain stops moving almost as soon as you let go of the trigger whereas the petrol one can run on for several seconds or more.

Personally, I wouldn’t be without one now as we collect and burn a great deal of wood over the winter months and a chainsaw really is the easiest way of harvesting it and chopping it all up into stove sized logs.

I took a look at the B&Q chainsaw but was advised by a garden tool shop that it would be unlikely to last long when used the way I intended to use it – regularly and for an hour or so at a time. Could be just the garden centre trying to get me to buy one of their much more expensive options which I didn’t.

Edit to add:

There was a report in the papers recently of a guy that killed himself with a chainsaw while cutting logs in his garden. It sounds like the chainsaw kicked back (they can do this if the top edge of the chain at the bar ends hits something). Anyway, he cut his throat with it.

Edited by Ernie

that could be a cheap way to look like heather mills :o

- only for the trained professionals in my humble opinion.

Agreed. I despise the "nanny state" but I believe chainsaws along with those guns (Hilti?) that fire nails should require compulsory training and a certificate, as per a shotgun.

Agreed. I despise the "nanny state" but I believe chainsaws along with those guns (Hilti?) that fire nails should require compulsory training and a certificate, as per a shotgun.

They should only be sold with protective gear. Hubby had trousers, helmet, gloves and gaiters.

Sue

Where I grew up, there's a family of tree surgeons, and the father only has three fingers and is covered in terrible cuts.

They're dangerous, even in the hands of professionals.

I think if shops like B&Q are selling chainsaws at such a low price, they should have a similarly excellent deal on good safety kit as well - boots, trousers gloves and helmet/visor.

Not that you could force anyone to use it, but at least it would make people think.

Incidentally, B&Q sell an excellent bow saw for £5. :o

I have one, but I keep it locked in a cupboard in the garage to keep it away from the kids. Only comes out when it absolutely has to now - I'm seriously thinking of getting rid. I always wear eye protection and gloves when using it, but I don't think they would hold out much hope against that chain flying round.

I've found a good tree surgeon locally who charges a reasonable rate and does a good job - so any big jobs go his way. If I can't handle it with a bow saw - it's time to call in the pro's

Chainsaws certainly require a great deal of respect. I recently upgraded from an 1800W electric chainsaw to a 55cc petrol version. Both versions are capable of doing a great deal of damage in a very short space of time. The electric one is a bit safer in so much as the chain stops moving almost as soon as you let go of the trigger whereas the petrol one can run on for several seconds or more.

Personally, I wouldn’t be without one now as we collect and burn a great deal of wood over the winter months and a chainsaw really is the easiest way of harvesting it and chopping it all up into stove sized logs.

I took a look at the B&Q chainsaw but was advised by a garden tool shop that it would be unlikely to last long when used the way I intended to use it – regularly and for an hour or so at a time. Could be just the garden centre trying to get me to buy one of their much more expensive options which I didn’t.

Edit to add:

There was a report in the papers recently of a guy that killed himself with a chainsaw while cutting logs in his garden. It sounds like the chainsaw kicked back (they can do this if the top edge of the chain at the bar ends hits something). Anyway, he cut his throat with it.

I'm a Seasonal manager for B&Q and to be fair to the guy you spoke to, he probably wasn't far off.

The homelite chainsaw mentioned is a decent quality tool for fairly regular use. However you get what you pay for in life and if you're going to be using one alot then you'll be better off with a stihl, mculloch or a ryobi. (i'm guessing at 55cc you bought a Ryobi?).

I have a fair amount of Homelite garden tools and they've never missed a beat for me.

We do also sell all the safety gear and if buying a chainsaw you should budget to spend at least the same again on kevlar chaps, helmet and gloves.

I'm a Seasonal manager for B&Q and to be fair to the guy you spoke to, he probably wasn't far off.

The homelite chainsaw mentioned is a decent quality tool for fairly regular use. However you get what you pay for in life and if you're going to be using one alot then you'll be better off with a stihl, mculloch or a ryobi. (i'm guessing at 55cc you bought a Ryobi?).

I have a fair amount of Homelite garden tools and they've never missed a beat for me.

We do also sell all the safety gear and if buying a chainsaw you should budget to spend at least the same again on kevlar chaps, helmet and gloves.

I went for a Stihl due to the wide availability of spare parts and service agents. It's buit like the proverbial Brick Sh*t House. As I mentioned early - it needs a great deal of respect......

I've used a biggish chainsaw for fencing work, and cutting up fallen trees - dunno engine size, it was about a 30" blade. great tools with training, very dangerous if you don't know what you are doing.

Met a chap who gave himself a frontal lobe lobotomy with one. He wasn't much of a conversationalist.

When it comes to chainsaws (and power tools in general) those bloody stupid television programmes about gardening and DIY have a lot to answer for. I watched a dick head on one of those programmes using a chainsaw horizontally just level with his throat. He had very little protective clothing on. If that saw had have kicked back, it would have decapitated him. I intended writing to the producers of this garbage, but never got around to it.