Easy cruising

g0n

Featured Posts

Hi all,

a friend who's a boat novice has asked for suggestions for a minimum effort narrowboat cruise, for himself and a relative. I think he means a week or two, and he specified that by minimum effort he was meaning as few locks as possible (but some I think, so as to get a feel for it). I thought I'd seen this topic discussed before but I'm struggling to find it. Does anyone have any suggestions? Since they're based on the south coast, further south /might/ be favourite, but not a necessity.

cheers.

Edited by g0n

I spent a week on the Kennet and Avon a few years ago. Went from Hilperton to Bath and turned round before the deep lock at Bath. Only had a one lock and a few swing bridges. I had to to go up past Hilperton on the return to find a few more locks to make the week more interesting. :)

I spent a week on the Kennet and Avon a few years ago. Went from Hilperton to Bath and turned round before the deep lock at Bath. Only had a one lock and a few swing bridges. I had to to go up past Hilperton on the return to find a few more locks to make the week more interesting. :)

That would certainly be an easy week.....When I visited the K&A I spent 5 days getting from Reading to Bristol.....

How about the Ashby Canal (no locks), plus the Coventry Canal as far as Atherstone (wind above the locks) and south as far as Hawkesbury or Coventry itself (no locks), plus the Oxford Canal (not really counting Hawkesbury with its 1-foot rise) as far as Hillmorton; if they feel energetic they can do the 3 locks at Hillmorton then go to Braunston and Napton (no more locks).

A possible total journey of 137 miles with only 4 easy locks to do twice each, and a phenomenal choice of starting points including Napton, Calcutt, Braunston, Rugby, Stoke Golding, or Springwood Haven

• 2 weeks later...

ditto - the Llangollen

- the stretch from Whitchurch to Llangollen - two tiny locks, a couple of lift bridges a short tunnel, two awesome aqueducts, and the most spectacular scenery. Totally brilliant, a week in winter on that stretch convinced me to buy a narrowboat.

How about the Ashby Canal (no locks), plus the Coventry Canal as far as Atherstone (wind above the locks) and south as far as Hawkesbury or Coventry itself (no locks), plus the Oxford Canal (not really counting Hawkesbury with its 1-foot rise) as far as Hillmorton; if they feel energetic they can do the 3 locks at Hillmorton then go to Braunston and Napton (no more locks).

A possible total journey of 137 miles with only 4 easy locks to do twice each, and a phenomenal choice of starting points including Napton, Calcutt, Braunston, Rugby, Stoke Golding, or Springwood Haven

I thoroughly endorse this route with the suggestion that you hire from either Ashby Boats at Stoke Golding or Valley Cruisers at Springwood Haven (near Atherstone) You could easily spend a week up the Ashby Canal itself. Visit the Market Bosworth Battlefield and the restored Railway that runs between Shackerstone and Shenton. Shackerstone Tunnel must be the twistiest on the system.

Tony

I endorse the route as well. We did this on our very first holiday boat five years ago and it's great if you are not familiar with locks or want an easy cruising week.

the Ashby is lovely, no locks, plenty of pubs, the coventry, and oxford are nice and you can get quite far without doing a lot.

• 3 weeks later...

Ashby canal is certainly good.

You can get a CanalTime / Tillerman boat from a nearby base (not that i would suggest using them!).

Oxford way is faily minimal effort too - with a few locks - but nothing like the birm-wocst.

Sam