Why is a cratch cover canvas?

Smelly

Featured Posts

I won't go into too many reasons, but I'm thinking about covering our cratch, temporarily, in ply instead of buying a cratch cover. I'd rather spend the immediate funds available over the next few months on fitting out the interior instead of the exterior.

Apart from the fact that it will be rather ugly, what are th draw backs fo a wooden cratch cover?

I won't go into too many reasons, but I'm thinking about covering our cratch, temporarily, in ply instead of buying a cratch cover. I'd rather spend the immediate funds available over the next few months on fitting out the interior instead of the exterior.

Apart from the fact that it will be rather ugly, what are th draw backs fo a wooden cratch cover?

Storing it, when it's not in place?

Why does it have to be ugly?

and here's me thinking there'd be some arcane reasoning behind it...

I think the canvas cratch cover is the narrow boat equivalent of the appendix. A throwback to the days when it was 45' long and reached all the way back to the engine room.

Largely redundant now

I think the canvas cratch cover is the narrow boat equivalent of the appendix. A throwback to the days when it was 45' long and reached all the way back to the engine room.

Largely redundant now

Mostly replaced by a collection of polythene sheets over the deteriorating wooden toppped sinking wreck ( Atleast on the one by Lock 88)