DC voltage reduction

tosher

Featured Posts

Is there a simple way to power a 6volt appliance from the boats 12volt DC sockets? I have a digital TV aerial which has an internal booster. This booster is supplied with 6volt DC from a power inserter plugged into the aerial coax cable at the back of the freeview box. This power inserter is supplied from a 240volt AC plug with built in transformer/rectifier but unfortunately the nearedt 240 volt socket is some way from the TV which means trailing cables. Right next to the TV is a spare 12 volt DC socket so my question is ---- how can I supply the 6 volt DC power inserter from the adjacent 12 volt DC socket ?? The details on the power inserter say 6 volt DC 100ma but the actual measured voltage when plugged into 240 AC is 8 volt DC.

If it is a low power item which I suspect it is you can get small power converters from Maplins that have a settable output voltage from something like 6V to 12V. I have used a couple of these on my boat and they appear to work well. One powers a 12V appliance that stated it would not want the 14.8V in the system during battery charging and the other 9V. The only problem is that they may have a low efficiency at low current draw.

It is called a universal DC power supply and can be found on

Universal DC power supply

If you do not have a cigarette style socket then it is easy to cut the feed cable as long as you make sure you get the +ve the right way, it is the one which feeds the central tip of the plug.

The details on the power inserter say 6 volt DC 100ma but the actual measured voltage when plugged into 240 AC is 8 volt DC.

The Maplin type converter will do fine. The reason you're reading 8v DC, rather than 6v, is because you are measuring the converter off-load. Once on-load the current drawn will pull the voltage down to 6v. A well regulated converter would not do this but for cheapness many are not well regulated.

Chris