Has anyone seen this boat HELP!!!

boatbot

Featured Posts

I am trying to track someone down who has an historic wooden boat who had a book written about it-He had his tiller stolen and was busy making another last time I saw him-The boat ALL wooden-not many of those around-it has an outboard motor on the back.

I met Garry mainly at Stretton Stop but also spotted his boat at Hawkesbury junction around August last year. I dont know the name of the boat unfortunately-any helpers here? If I could get the name of the book it could reveal the name of the boat!

I painted a board for the outside of his boat but I had to leave before I could give it to him. I think he was heading for Leicester last I saw him...... :D

Can't think of the boat. I should know, it being my neck of the woods and all.

The only person I can think of, who had a wooden boat with an outboard, who had his tiller stolen, was me about 8 years ago!

U should know it-I mean its pretty identifiable! It looks quite old, abit beat up-u can tell its old and probably 70 foot? Its very hard for me to think of anything obvious-definitely quite well known as there has been a book written-a novel/story-ALL wooden(not many left)-blue top? tiller recently crafted-maybe he went to Coventry? Was around Rugby September last.

U should know it-I mean its pretty identifiable! It looks quite old, abit beat up-u can tell its old and probably 70 foot? Its very hard for me to think of anything obvious-definitely quite well known as there has been a book written-a novel/story-ALL wooden(not many left)-blue top? tiller recently crafted-maybe he went to Coventry? Was around Rugby September last.

There was a boat matching that description moored in the Hillmorton top lock area (Rugby) when I went through there approx. a month ago... it was on the 14 day moorings though, so doubt it's still there.

Impressed at the memory !

Nick

The boat I saw did look rather "tired" and, from memory, had an odd (probably home-made?) tiller setup.... I'm guessing that it probably had a few bilge pumps somewhere helping to keep it afloat. I noticed it as I was passing and wondered to myself how it was kept afloat. Think I saw it in Hillmorton maybe a month or so before that too, whilst I was having some work done in the yard there.

Of course, it may not be the boat you're talking about at all...

The boat I saw did look rather "tired" and, from memory, had an odd (probably home-made?) tiller setup.... I'm guessing that it probably had a few bilge pumps somewhere helping to keep it afloat. I noticed it as I was passing and wondered to myself how it was kept afloat. Think I saw it in Hillmorton maybe a month or so before that too, whilst I was having some work done in the yard there.

Of course, it may not be the boat you're talking about at all...

Yes a home made tiller-did u notice an outboard motor?Thanks for the spotting well if u see Garry do say I am looking for him! thats if it is him ofcourse-I am sure someone will spot him-cheers

Yes a home made tiller-did u notice an outboard motor?Thanks for the spotting well if u see Garry do say I am looking for him! thats if it is him ofcourse-I am sure someone will spot him-cheers

I definitely remember the tiller, but am not 100% on the outboard motor. I *think* it may have had an outboard. I will most likely be popping down to Hillmorton tomorrow in the car anyway, as I need to pick up a bottle of gas, so will try and leave myself time for a quick wander up the locks and check / see if the boat is still there for you.

There was a boat as you describe last week moored on the North Oxford facing south, moored up in a line of boats. The outboard was on the left side of the rudder. I'm sure this will be the boat you are after, but I can't remember exactly where it was. I'm sure we passed it last Thursday, which would put it between Newbold and Braunston, and I'm pretty sure it was early in the day, so nearer Newbold. I'll keep racking my brains for the exact location, but from what you have said, it seems to be in the same area.

Brain in gear (possibly)...........Does 'Lichfield' ring a bell ???????????????

Edited by Bigmac

I definitely remember the tiller, but am not 100% on the outboard motor. I *think* it may have had an outboard. I will most likely be popping down to Hillmorton tomorrow in the car anyway, as I need to pick up a bottle of gas, so will try and leave myself time for a quick wander up the locks and check / see if the boat is still there for you.

Fantastic!!! He is rather stocky ( on his own-I think his family visits him). I painted a panel for him to be put on the outside of his boat (I am an artist-painter)-its a scene of narrow boats back to back-I was going to give it to him but I had to get back to Leighton Buzzard-my email is gazskinner@yahoo.com-my name is Gary as well and I am the green boat that has no windows(36')who bought his pink guitar at Rose narrowboats. cheers again, the hunt continues....................... :)

There was a boat as you describe last week moored on the North Oxford facing south, moored up in a line of boats. The outboard was on the left side of the rudder. I'm sure this will be the boat you are after, but I can't remember exactly where it was. I'm sure we passed it last Thursday, which would put it between Newbold and Braunston, and I'm pretty sure it was early in the day, so nearer Newbold. I'll keep racking my brains for the exact location, but from what you have said, it seems to be in the same area......Brain in gear (possibly)...........Does 'Lichfield' ring a bell ???????????????
outboard left side-now I am wracking my brain!! Do u mean at Lichfield (bought) or the boat is called Lichfield?
There was a boat as you describe last week moored on the North Oxford facing south, moored up in a line of boats. The outboard was on the left side of the rudder. I'm sure this will be the boat you are after, but I can't remember exactly where it was. I'm sure we passed it last Thursday, which would put it between Newbold and Braunston, and I'm pretty sure it was early in the day, so nearer Newbold. I'll keep racking my brains for the exact location, but from what you have said, it seems to be in the same area......Brain in gear (possibly)...........Does 'Lichfield' ring a bell ???????????????
outboard left side-now I am racking my brain!! Do u mean at Lichfield (bought) or the boat is called Lichfield? :)

Fantastic!!! He is rather stocky ( on his own-I think his family visits him). I painted a panel for him to be put on the outside of his boat (I am an artist-painter)-its a scene of narrow boats back to back-I was going to give it to him but I had to get back to Leighton Buzzard-my email is gazskinner@yahoo.com-my name is Gary as well and I am the green boat that has no windows(36')who bought his pink guitar at Rose narrowboats. cheers again, the hunt continues....................... :)

Oooh it's all turning into an adventure now. I have written a note for Garry with your e-mail address and my contact details on, and will pop it on his boat if I manage to find it at lunch time. The spot described in Bigmac's post sounds the same as where I recall seeing the boat too, so there's a chance that he might still be there. Maybe he has a winter mooring there or something??

Fingers crossed I find it, and it's the right boat! Either way, it'll be a nice break from the office.

Becky

Lichfield is the big Ricky butty with a blue full-length cabin conversion, previously owned by Ian Staples at Broadmoor lock, Cropredy. If that helps.

Edited to say: It hasn't moved for donkey's years so it'd be nice to see it out and about again.

Edited by carlt

Lichfield is the big Ricky butty with a blue full-length cabin conversion, previously owned by Ian Staples at Broadmoor lock, Cropredy. If that helps.

Edited to say: It hasn't moved for donkey's years so it'd be nice to see it out and about again.

OK, I think I found it. At any rate, I hope it was the right boat, as I've popped a note on the doors at each end in the hope that Garry gets in touch! The boat which I remembered seeing was indeed called "Lichfield" and is still moored in the Hillmorton top lock area. It matches all of your descriptions, except that the top is more of a greeny colour than blue. The wooden tiller and outboard were there though. The door on the bow end appeared to be made of untreated wood - does that ring any bells?

Fingers crossed it was the right boat, and that Garry gets in touch soon!

Becky

OK, I think I found it. At any rate, I hope it was the right boat, as I've popped a note on the doors at each end in the hope that Garry gets in touch! The boat which I remembered seeing was indeed called "Lichfield" and is still moored in the Hillmorton top lock area. It matches all of your descriptions, except that the top is more of a greeny colour than blue. The wooden tiller and outboard were there though. The door on the bow end appeared to be made of untreated wood - does that ring any bells?

Fingers crossed it was the right boat, and that Garry gets in touch soon!

Becky

Could it be? Does the tiller look unpainted? Last time he was making it so I am not sure of the end result-It could of been a greeny colour-humm the back-gee if only I could remember-thinking.....he did have a generator-there was alot of peeling paint and he had little doors that swung out with narrow boat motifs-maybe a castle or flowers of some sort- it was in the middle of the boat and hada small step-it was really hard getting into it as this was the only entrance...

Hasn't moved for years-blue full-length cabin conversion-its got to be it surely!!

hummm -this doesn't look good as the boat I am looking for was indeed moving from Hawkesbury Junction to Stretton Stop last August/September-got info on this:

1936 hotel boat in the 70s. 7/99. at Cropredy on the Oxford Canal. All for sale, contact Ian Staples - so thats confirmed!

:)

Hasn't moved for years-blue full-length cabin conversion-its got to be it surely!!

hummm -this doesn't look good as the boat I am looking for was indeed moving from Hawkesbury Junction to Stretton Stop last August/September-got info on this:

1936 hotel boat in the 70s. 7/99. at Cropredy on the Oxford Canal. All for sale, contact Ian Staples - so thats confirmed!

:)

Ian's had all his boats for sale for a few years now and it's at least 2 years since I was at Broadmoor. I'm in Rugby so I'll nip up there tomorrow and take a photo or two.

Ian's had all his boats for sale for a few years now and it's at least 2 years since I was at Broadmoor. I'm in Rugby so I'll nip up there tomorrow and take a photo or two.

Well thats a good idea! Rugby what a nice town-A very good art museum there. I wonder if Ian has anymore for sale as I am looking to buy a 70' boat!

Well thats a good idea! Rugby what a nice town-A very good art museum there. I wonder if Ian has anymore for sale as I am looking to buy a 70' boat!

He has (or had) Poplar, another big Ricky, nice nick, ex-flashes, needs top bends at the front.

Clara: motorised horseboat...gorgeous! Full cabin conversion (I'll help you rip it off) and a counter.

Langho: Big Ricky that has been sunk for 10+ years and is rumoured to not have any bottoms left.

He has (or had) Poplar, another big Ricky, nice nick, ex-flashes, needs top bends at the front.

Clara: motorised horseboat...gorgeous! Full cabin conversion (I'll help you rip it off) and a counter.

Langho: Big Ricky that has been sunk for 10+ years and is rumoured to not have any bottoms left.

Poplar:built 20.10.36 - Is as old as Garrys by the sound of it- needs top bends-do u mean replace planks at the front?

Clara:built 1923 Built by FMC Uxbridge

Langho: built:11.8.36 -how sad :D what a job -it would have to be fully restored-

What is the sizes? What would be the prices? Any chance of any photos? :)

I think the Litchfield is it-AS I have this on another post!!

Lichfield was once a hotel boat operated by Katie Fforde now a best selling author ("Life Skills" has a canal theme.)

Garry did show me the book and I think that was it!! VERY coincidental-now we wait for contact!!......... :)

I think the Litchfield is it-AS I have this on another post!!

Lichfield was once a hotel boat operated by Katie Fforde now a best selling author ("Life Skills" has a canal theme.)

Garry did show me the book and I think that was it!! VERY coincidental-now we wait for contact!!......... :)

Excellent! I suspect that the boat may have been repainted since you saw it, as the one at http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=8403 looks much bluer than the Lichfield moored at Hillmorton.....looks like the same shape/boat though, from what I can tell from the photo.

Excellent! I suspect that the boat may have been repainted since you saw it, as the one at http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=8403 looks much bluer than the Lichfield moored at Hillmorton.....looks like the same shape/boat though, from what I can tell from the photo.

No contact yet? Am hoping it's the right boat now....

• 2 weeks later...
No contact yet? Am hoping it's the right boat now....

Just to say still no contact-I am sure thats the boat-I will be hopefully up to Rugby in mid April-so If u could keep an eye on this boat (Litchfield) keep tracking where it is, I will have a look-very frustrating! :stop: