Boat restoration projects

stort_mark

Featured Posts

Is there some kind of listing somewhere of restoration projects that are under way? It's always interesting to read of restoration of boats in WW or on the web, but I'm intrigued to know how many boats (and what type) are being restored.....

Is it a few? Many? Private undertakings by one person? Or groups? Or are they mainly done by charities or museums?

Is there a listing of boats needing restoration? I read somewhere that there were boats (was it at Dudley or Ellesmere Port or somewhere else?) that were in danger of disappearing for ever as there weren't enough funds to restire them.

Interested if anyone has any listing or knows where to find one.

Edited by stort_mark

Is there some kind of listing somewhere of restoration projects that are under way? It's always interesting to read of restoration of boats in WW or on the web, but I'm intrigued to know how many boats (and what type) are being restored.....

Is it a few? Many? Private undertakings by one person? Or groups? Or are they mainly done by charities or museums?

Is there a listing of boats needing restoration? I read somewhere that there were boats (was it at Dudley or Ellesmere Port or somewhere else?) that were in danger of disappearing for ever as there weren't enough funds to restire them.

Show me a wooden boat and I'll show you a work in progress. There are a good few boats out there desperate for a good home, and money chucked at them, I've got two (well three tbh). Off the top of my head I can think of four more, if they haven't been snatched yet.

Edited by carlt

Show me a wooden boat and I'll show you a work in progress.

:rolleyes:

There are a good few boats out there desperate for a good home, and money chucked at them, I've got two (well three tbh).

How did you find out about the boats? I'm assuming that most owners of these 'projects in progress' just have their ears close to the ground?

Off the top of my head I can think of four more, if they haven't been snatched yet.

The reason for asking - if it wasn't obvious :clapping: - is that I'm interested in at least helping with a restoration project...probably as a share in a restoration.

However, I am also concerned because over the years it would seem that the bulk of the 'restoration money' in the canal world has gone on restoring the canals rather than the boats.

You could try the National Historic Ships Register www.nhsc.org.uk although you'll probably find that the statements of condition/intent are seldom updated.

and the Wooden Canal Boat Society has a list of boats at risk, wcbs.org.uk again it's not been updated in a long time.

Most historic boats are restored by individuals, mddile Northwich Sickle has just been completed, the ones restored by museums/groups are few and far between although usually announced with much fanfare, Saturn a recent example.

The National Museum have just done an audit to be presented at an internal conference in March, they say they won't publish the list but will give details on any specific boat.

The National Museum have just done an audit to be presented at an internal conference in March, they say they won't publish the list but will give details on any specific boat.

Wonder why they won't publish the list. ifit was for privacy reasons, perhaps it would make sense to publish it by category of boat.

Maybe we need a World Heritage-type list of boats and canal structures?

Wonder why they won't publish the list. ifit was for privacy reasons, perhaps it would make sense to publish it by category of boat.

Maybe we need a World Heritage-type list of boats and canal structures?

The nice man at the Waterways Museum said "Review results will be aired at a conference we are having on 27th March at museum, and may be published afterwards but could be misconstrued if taken out of context, so publication needs to be a carefully considered issue. "

I believe that the Waterways Trust does have a list made a few years ago with the categories at risk in order of funding priority, eg unique specimens downwards with Grand Union motor boats at the bottom.

Though i suppose they may go a notch above Springers when the Springer Restoration Society gets going. And do we have a museum quality specimen of a Liverpool boat?

Anyone who owns an historic boat will tell you that restoration is an ongoing project, so you could say that most historic boats are restoration projects underway.

However, recently there has been a lot of publicity inj the waterway mags for the TLC project meaning to tidy up the boats at ellesmere port and are actively promoting help from volunteers. Its a start but is not a solution for the boats at ellesmere port after years of neglect.

Edited by m589

• 4 weeks later...

i am a sharer in the gucc motor boat Bargus 1935 and we are looking for new people to share the work and expence of doing her up and to enjoy taking trips round the system. She is a bit old and rough but cosy at the moment and we hope will look splendid with a few more people to share her

Dunno whether you're anywhere near Manchester, well Ashton really, but the Wooden canal Boat Society are always eager for volunteers, although the actual restoration work tends to take a back seat to fund raising.

Well worth an email, but don't hold your breath for a reply as certainly a couple of years back chris only checked his mail about once a week, if that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Dunno whether you're anywhere near Manchester, well Ashton really, but the Wooden canal Boat Society are always eager for volunteers, although the actual restoration work tends to take a back seat to fund raising.

Well worth an email, but don't hold your breath for a reply as certainly a couple of years back chris only checked his mail about once a week, if that.

Well there Smelly, you're a bit out of date. There's work going on on Lilith and Southam at the moment. And our boatyard in Stalybridge has been excavated and work is ongoing. Chris is checking his emails more because I now have the internet at home. I'm told our old email address is soon to be dead, however, owing to beeb.net closing down so we'll be on woodcanal@googlemail.com

Volunteers welcome.

Best Wishes.

Edited by madrilin

Well there Smelly, you're a bit out of date. There's work going on on Lilith and Southam at the moment. And our boatyard in Stalybridge has been excavated and work is ongoing. Chris is checking his emails more because I now have the internet at home. I'm told our old email address is soon to be dead, however, owing to beeb.net closing down so we'll be on woodcanal@googlemail.com

Volunteers welcome.

Best Wishes.

I'll shout welcome from the rooftops then! I can stop trying to tout you up trade now! Hope you've not been too pestered of late!

Edit to say :lol:

Edited by Smelly