Flushing Toilets?

stuart

Featured Posts

Lee Sanitation is a little wrong as far as loo odours are concerned, you do get a smell via the air vent from the outside when the tank is getting full. Fine if your windows are closed, but during the summer with each flush you get an air blown waft. I can always tell when boats are going past who has a near full holding tank and who hasn't.

Stuart.

The conventional method is to put the standard pump-out fitting and the vent fitting, (the vent is only a 1" pipe) on the gunnel, position them to minimise the lengths of internal piping.

Some hire boats have the fittings on the roof, don't know why.

John Squeers

Richard.

The tea doesn't taste too bad, it's the salads and stuff like that, they are a bit dodgy.

This is a fun topic, ain't it?

I thought the blue stuff was a sort of disinfectant rather than to keep the micro-organisms going. I don't know since my tank has never had blue in it, following Lee San's advice.

Some things I do know: the microvent does stop smells, but needs replacing probably yearly. and the tank vent pipe needs to be the same size as the input pipe.

I've got my pump out and rinse out skin fittings in the centre of the roof, which makes life much easier than on the gunwhale when getting the boat next to the sucking machine.

How does the pump out work? Obviously theres a connection from the pump to the boats holding tank....

but do they flush the tank with water and suck of the resultant sludge? or just suck it dry :-)

The tank, when full, contains liquid - water, pee and blue (if you use it) - and suspended solids. A pipe is attached to the boat at one end and to the suck end of a pump. A pipe runs from the blow end of the pump to a holding tank on shore (or in some cases into the main sewer). Turn on the pump and - whoosh, slurp, gulp - the tank in the boat is sucked dry. Most boatyards will flush some clean water into the tank to disturb any settled solids and contine sucking. Finally, they will put a couple of gallons of clean water into the tank with blue (if you use it) just to start you off.

From time to time, you should arrange for the holding tank inspection cover to be removed so that the tank can be washed out thoroughly. No pump out will remove every bit of solid waste. You can do this yourself - make sure you know how to reseal the inspection cover - but I would prefer to find and pay somebody to do it whilst I sit in the pub.