Hep2O fittings

buggsy

Featured Posts

Hi,

i have noticed a leak on my Alde central heating circuit, so i drained of the antifreeze mixture and replaced the elbow fitting and noticed the green olive had split so i thought i had found the problem. I remade the joint re filled system with water and all was ok heating working fine. So i drained down the water and refilled the the system with a 40% mixture antifreeze/ water and again the Hep20 fitting leaks very bad

What am i doing wrong????

I intend cutting the pipe further back and remake the joint tomorrow but if this fails again i was going to try and find some suitable 22mm hose.

Has anyone had a similar problem??

cheers

Steve

Hi,

i have noticed a leak on my Alde central heating circuit, so i drained of the antifreeze mixture and replaced the elbow fitting and noticed the green olive had split so i thought i had found the problem. I remade the joint re filled system with water and all was ok heating working fine. So i drained down the water and refilled the the system with a 40% mixture antifreeze/ water and again the Hep20 fitting leaks very bad

I intend cutting the pipe further back and remake the joint tomorrow but if this fails again i was going to try and find some suitable 22mm hose.

cheers

Steve

[/quote

hi

is there an insert in pipe ,can be forgotten, and will cause a leak.

just a thought

regards

bear

Edited by bear

split? thats quite remarkable. Make sure you have put everything back in order - and pushed the pipe in hard before you tighten it up. Make sure the pipes are straight too.

that I am afraid is the extent of my knowledge and as I write it I wonder if it makes any sense at all!

hep2o fittings are a pain at times if you try reusing them best to get anew set of o rings collar and clip they are avail b&q etc although its just as cheap almost to buy a new elbow fitting or use a pushfit one yes there should be an insert

Edited by denis boyle

It's easy not to push the pipe in far enough, and this is the only reason that I've had a leak using these. It sometimes needs a very hard push. easy way is to put a mark on the pipe about 3/4" from the end, push it in and make sure it goes almost to the mark. If you're not familiar with them it's also easy to get the green ring back to front, forget the rubber ring, and/or assemble them in the wrong order.The pipe insert that bear mentions should also be fitted, but wouldn't cause a leak to occur for months, if ever. ( I've tried a connector without an insert and it's still going strong after 3 years)

Cheers

Steve

In addition to pushing the pipe in far enough, try pulling it out afterwards. One of my neighbours had a freshwater leak and I came across a Hep joint where the castellated ring which has backward pointing teeth was facing the wrong way round, so the pipe just slipped out.

The other thing to bear in mind is that adding antifreeze to water will actually reduce its viscosity so you've really got to make sure all joints are sound, because if not it will soon find a way through.

It's easy not to push the pipe in far enough, and this is the only reason that I've had a leak using these. It sometimes needs a very hard push. easy way is to put a mark on the pipe about 3/4" from the end, push it in and make sure it goes almost to the mark. If you're not familiar with them it's also easy to get the green ring back to front, forget the rubber ring, and/or assemble them in the wrong order.The pipe insert that bear mentions should also be fitted, but wouldn't cause a leak to occur for months, if ever. ( I've tried a connector without an insert and it's still going strong after 3 years)

Cheers

Steve

I forgot one insert on my boat, but not sure where it is. The only reason I know is that I had an insert left over at the end of the job :D Still holding after four years wherever it is. I was told that the purpose of the insert was to maintain the shape of the pipe.

Most of the problems I have had with Hep2O have been caused by freezing, but if any pressure is put on the joint the washer does tend to dig into the pipe which can cause a puncture or liquid to seep past the ring.

Certainly replace or cut the damaged section of pipe off and remake, checking the sealing ring or replace the whole fitting. If it happens again you can look at alternatives, possibly a push fit tap connector type fitting?

Thanks for all the suggestins. I have cut the pipe back by about an inch and remade the joint and all appears to ok.

One thing i did notice was a slight nick in the off cut so perhaps this was the reason.

cheers

Steve

Edited by buggsy