Strapping posts (on the end of some top gates)

Philip

Featured Posts

Does anyone use the traditional way of closing a top gate while going down, by throwing the rope across the post as you go in and pulling the gate closed as you move to the back end of the chamber (then throwing the rope back off the post, once the gate's shut)? You can see the rope marks dug into the posts (even the metal ones on the B&LJ).

We've tried it a couple of times - hasn't worked yet - it needs practise!

Lol, sound like fun!!

- Ive used the lock gates to hold the boat when the bollards havnt been up to scrach. (we have been know to pull bollard out fot he ground before now!)

Daniel

Hi Philip,

I tried that idea for the first time last year on the GU and it worked fine. Alright, sometimes I missed but in general it was handy to close the gate and saved the OCM's legs.

It was also good for slowing the boat down as we entered the lock.

I use 14 mm. polyprop rope so there was no danger of breaking the rope.

When entering a narrow lock, I just jump off and close the top gate as normal whilst the boat is slowing down in reverse.

Colin

Hi Philip,

I tried that idea for the first time last year on the GU and it worked fine. Alright, sometimes I missed but in general it was handy to close the gate and saved the OCM's legs.

It was also good for slowing the boat down as we entered the lock.

I use 14 mm. polyprop rope so there was no danger of breaking the rope.

When entering a narrow lock, I just jump off and close the top gate as normal whilst the boat is slowing down in reverse.

Colin

Hi Colin

Yes , I agree with what you said and its always interesting making use of these things that are actually now put on for show. Also goo to repeat how locks were worked in the 18th, 19th and half of the 20th century. They aren't newly made either, you can see numerous rope marks from 50-100 years ago, where many a boatmen would have thrown the rope over and wrapped it round the 'strapper'. They used to all be traditional black and white, but now we're seeing the modern 'all white' design on them. Tradition going, just like it is on the Shroppie locks, that are now painted an awful battleship grey and white - I know they had a spell years ago in grey, but that was the cheapest option then, know they just look mundane. Maybe a brief colour change was needed in 2001, but they should have repainted them black and white no late than 2003 IMO, now 2005, still no sign of the black returning.

At least they have repainted the post on Wheaton Aston lock, from grey and white, back to black and white.

I tried that idea for the first time last year on the GU and it worked fine. Alright, sometimes I missed but in general it was handy to close the gate. It was also good for slowing the boat down as we entered the lock.

So do you just hold onto the rope, ou do you take turn aronund your dollys?

- I just check this out! sound like an excelent way slowing the boat while saving the engine.

Dniael

When I next go on a canal holiday, I wonder if I find many people using the posts for a change, all through this thread?

The metal, with cap posts you find on the Audlem flight - example - Lock 13, by the wharf and the Fly do look quite quaint.

I was taught how to use strapping posts nearly forty years ago by our Skipper who was a former working Boatman. Getting the speed of the boat right is the most difficult part, especially with a 72ft boat. Too slow and you end up stationary, half out of the lock with the gate still open, too fast and you hit the bottom gate. It is not something I try very often these days on unfamiliar locks, as each lock seems to respond differently, and there is nothing more embarassing than cocking things up in front of onlookers.

So do you just hold onto the rope, ou do you take turn aronund your stern bollard?

- I just check this out! sound like an excelent way slowing the boat while saving the engine.

Dniael

Hi dhutch,

DO NOT TIE OR WRAP THE ROPE ROUND ANYTHING!!!I found it best just to throw a bight over the gatepost and keep a good hold on the rope.

Then adjust your tension on the rope to slow the boat and close the gate at the same time.

It took a bit of practice but it was certainly worth it.....just to see if it worked and it did.

Colin

After the demise of the working boat era, many of these strapping post were cut off to prevent leisure boaters attempting to use them and damaging the gates.

Some were put back many years later for cosmetic reasons, an old friend of mine (born on a boat) one day on the Llangollen took a turn around one to do as described, it fell off.

Edited by John Orentas

I've used the gate based strapping posts on the Regents Canal, which worked quite well. I find holding onto the rope is to difficult, so if you have a shorter than 70ft boat, make a long loop from a stern bollard (dollies?) and back again. Be very careful if you don't tie the rope of first.

I find it best to have the boat in reverse gear all ready to hit the throttle if things go wrong :closedeyes: