whats the history behind tiller pins

owen

Featured Posts

does anyone know like a dumbo i called them a keel pin :rolleyes::lol: :lol:

I wondered what you meant by the term Keel pins, but did not want to look ignorant asking, all is now explained.

The use of Decorative Tiller pins is probably a modern development from the brass tiller pins that many Working Boatmen used, they were made by sawing the handle and six inches off the shaft of old fire irons. Polished up they were very attractive and often quite elaborate. I have quite a few made in the same way on my boat

I wondered what you meant by the term Keel pins, but did not want to look ignorant asking, all is now explained.

The use of Decorative Tiller pins is probably a modern development from the brass tiller pins that many Working Boatmen used, they were made by sawing the handle and six inches off the shaft of old fire irons. Polished up they were very attractive and often quite elaborate. I have quite a few made in the same way on my boat

thanks i was wondering how they came about did it then change to people having their own logos say for the likes of ovaltine dont worry about me thinking things about being ignorant im on here to learn as much as possible thanks for reply :rolleyes:

thanks i was wondering how they came about did it then change to people having their own logos say for the likes of ovaltine dont worry about me thinking things about being ignorant im on here to learn as much as possible thanks for reply :rolleyes:

No I don't think so. Like Chimneys, Buckby Cans, Windlasses, and Pigeon Boxes, Tiller pins were normally the personal property of the Captain and were moved from boat to boat. If the captian did not have a Tioller pin i expect the company would have supplied a bolt for the purpose.

The decorative tiller pins with Animals and Birds etc, appear to be a product of fairly recent times.

No I don't think so. Like Chimneys, Buckby Cans, Windlasses, and Pigeon Boxes, Tiller pins were normally the personal property of the Captain and were moved from boat to boat. If the captian did not have a Tioller pin i expect the company would have supplied a bolt for the purpose.

The decorative tiller pins with Animals and Birds etc, appear to be a product of fairly recent times.

Very true,

original "fancy Tiller Pins" were made from scrap fire pokers, the brass handle was retained and the steel poker end was cut down and chamfered to make a robust tiller pin. This were often bought from pawn brokers, second hand shops, or salvaged from rubbish tips.

does anyone know like a dumbo i called them a keel pin :rolleyes::lol: :lol:

I think they came about as a way of anchoring the tiller extention to the tiller itself. On a Motor the tiller (the swan kneck part was fixed and was only short, (if any longer it would get in the way) the extention was necessary to give the leaverage required and the reach forward. It could be removed to allow easy access to the cabin when not in use. On a Butty the Tiller was either removed or reversed to achieve the clear access.

Edited by gralyn

And the decorative chimney chains were made from Gas Mask Bag buckles salvaged from the piles of them waiting to be pulped at Croxley Papermills after the war.

amazing what people can do to make the world that surrounds a more attractive place and it can be done without money sometimes

. On a Butty the Tiller was either removed or reversed to achieve the clear access.

It was traditional on a butty when moored, to reverse the curved tiller so it pointed upwards, this not only gave clear access to the cabin but it was also recognised as an indication that the boat, or pair of boats had finished working for the day.

The butty tiller was usually fixed to the rudder by way of a Mortice and Tennon joint. I should imagine this would get a little slack over time. Was some sort of tiller pin used to secure the tennon in the mortice? I must have a look next time I'm out! (Though I am sure some of the "Old Stalwarts" in the forum will give me a quick reply.)

It was traditional on a butty when moored, to reverse the curved tiller so it pointed upwards, this not only gave clear access to the cabin but it was also recognised as an indication that the boat, or pair of boats had finished working for the day.

The butty tiller was usually fixed to the rudder by way of a Mortice and Tennon joint. I should imagine this would get a little slack over time. Was some sort of tiller pin used to secure the tennon in the mortice? I must have a look next time I'm out! (Though I am sure some of the "Old Stalwarts" in the forum will give me a quick reply.)

The end of the tiller and its socket are tapered so wear is taken up, you just push it in a bit harder.

I broke the taper off my tiller a couple of years ago on a lock gate (the shame) but i was able to clean up the rest and it still works, albeit a touch shorter.

The end of the tiller and its socket are tapered so wear is taken up, you just push it in a bit harder.

I broke the taper off my tiller a couple of years ago on a lock gate (the shame) but i was able to clean up the rest and it still works, albeit a touch shorter.

i saw one on the canal about 6 months ago and it was the mascot from a rolls royce :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info. I had tried visualising butty rudders and could not recall seeing any tiller securing method other than the "Tennon" style joint (Which I now know to be a tapered socket.) Logic told me that there should be something; your explanation tells me why not.