Polyethylene diesel tanks

magnetman

Featured Posts

I need to fit fuel tank(s) in my boat, main holding tanks with a manually operated pump to fill a (stainless?) steel day tank. I've seen Polyethylene fuel tanks and i like the look of them, nice easy inspection and cleaning of the inside etc and they have fittings for fuel gauges... But ... Are they ok on a canal boat? :rolleyes:

I need to fit fuel tank(s) in my boat, main holding tanks with a manually operated pump to fill a (stainless?) steel day tank. I've seen Polyethylene fuel tanks and i like the look of them, nice easy inspection and cleaning of the inside etc and they have fittings for fuel gauges... But ... Are they ok on a canal boat? :rolleyes:

I don't know either - it's an interesting question. If you had a small engine room fire I imagine it could be disasterous with a PE tank.

Sounds about right.

- There very tough (well, good ones are) all cars have them, jcb's, etc. However the fire protection is obvously a little less so than a steel tank.

That said, is the melting point of PE a million miles from the flashpoint of diesal anyway? Although i suppose a steel tank would withstand point or sudden heating better.

Daniel