Tried to view a boat - refused a viewing unless I have finance already in place?

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, CliveH said:

’m not saying I won’t buy this boat

I fear the broker is ahead of you on this. You definitely won't be buying this boat as they have cannily figured out you don't have funds available right now. 

So fcuk-em. Go and not buy another boat, somewhere else!

But more seriously, as David suggested go to Whilton Marina. They will give you the keys to boats on brokerage and let you look them over, no (or few) questions asked. 

Or view some private sales on https://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/ instead.

Edited by MtB
Speeling

4 hours ago, PeterF said:

Nationwide no longer have a physical base after leaving Great Haywood Marina as Lakeland took over the Marina and now run the marina brokerage themselves. Therefore they are selling boats from wherever the boat is located and as they accompany viewings this gives them additional time and staffing demands that marina based brokerages will not have. This may mean that they are culling the fender kickers more aggressively than other brokerages.

Lakeland already ran the marina before Nationwide moved out to Fradley Junction, they now use one of the buildings at Fradley by the Swan and are also based in Fradley marina.

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

Lakeland already ran the marina before Nationwide moved out to Fradley Junction, they now use one of the buildings at Fradley by the Swan and are also based in Fradley marina.

I know I don’t need to tell you the history behind all that.

Nationwide now have brokerage moorings in various locations although I think they are in some - and perhaps all - cases run by marina staff on an agency basis.

It’s also quite likely that when a vendor chooses to sell from a home mooring rather than take their boat to a brokerage site that it is made clear to them that it limits the number of people likely to view the boat as it excludes the casual customer who may ultimately turn out to be a genuine buyer.

Edited by Captain Pegg

5 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

If a broker doesn't want to show you a boat, stuff 'em, and take your business elsewhere.

What business is that then?  The OP says he doesn't have the money to buy a boat. 

• Happy 2

33 minutes ago, MtB said:

The OP says he doesn't have the money to buy a boat. 

Some say the market is cooling down, but certainly for the last 10 years + if you didn't have the money available when you 1st saw the boat, it would be sold before you got finance / loans in place.

Buyers have been registering their interest with brokers  and as soon as a boat comes in they are notified and many have sold before they even hit the website.

No money - No boat.

With a personal loan it is against the person, not against any specific boat and if it sinks or is stolen then the lender doesn't lose out because the lender still has to pay the loan back.

If you need finance get a personal loan, add on your savings and that is what you have you buy a boat**. There will always be 'better boats' that you'd want but cannot afford, the same with cars or houses, thats just a fact of life

** Keep £5000 back for the survey, licence, insurance and the 1st 3 months running costs when you find out all the things the surveyor missed.

On 03/05/2024 at 12:35, robtheplod said:

Im guessing brokers get quite a lot of people just browsing without any intention of buying..?

Indeed. A few maybe with the term 'Fender Kickers'