Solar Panel recycling

sigsegv

Featured Posts

I'm pretty sure one of my panels has had it. This morning I noticed I was getting 0 watts despite it being nice and sunny, and the batteries being down to about 90%. Did some fiddling, disconnected the oldest of our three panels (which came with the boat) and suddenly we started getting power again! I also noticed our max voltage was higher, much more in line with what I would be expecting to get from the two newer panels. I've not done much testing on it yet, but I'm presuming the panel's had it.

So next comes what to do with the (potentially) dead panel. Dumping it by CRT bins seems wrong, disposing of it at a tip seems wasteful, but doing a quick search on Google only found solar recycling services for much larger installations than just one smelly boater with a single 300W panel. So my question is; is anyone aware of any recycling places near the canal that would take the panel? Ideally on the T&M or GU as that's where we're likely to be for the next few months, but I don't mind if it's not for some time - it's not exactly taking up space used for anything else.

Edited by sigsegv

As far as I know, Solar panels have a 20 (or) 25 years guarantee that they will still be producing 80% of the original.

I've never come across a 'total failure' except where it has been smashed by a brick (or similar)

Are you sure its not just bad wiring ?

I lost two panels to the wind a few years ago. The household waste dump at Ricky was happy for me to wheel them in on a sack trolley.

58 minutes ago, sigsegv said:

I'm pretty sure one of my panels has had it. This morning I noticed I was getting 0 watts despite it being nice and sunny, and the batteries being down to about 90%. Did some fiddling, disconnected the oldest of our three panels (which came with the boat) and suddenly we started getting power again! I also noticed our max voltage was higher, much more in line with what I would be expecting to get from the two newer panels. I've not done much testing on it yet, but I'm presuming the panel's had it.

So next comes what to do with the (potentially) dead panel. Dumping it by CRT bins seems wrong, disposing of it at a tip seems wasteful, but doing a quick search on Google only found solar recycling services for much larger installations than just one smelly boater with a single 300W panel. So my question is; is anyone aware of any recycling places near the canal that would take the panel? Ideally on the T&M or GU as that's where we're likely to be for the next few months, but I don't mind if it's not for some time - it's not exactly taking up space used for anything else.

From what you say it sounds like that panel is short circuited. I would check the wiring and the panel connections on the back very carefully. There may be a diode in one connection to prevent the panel draining the battery in the dark, it could be duff.

19 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

As far as I know, Solar panels have a 20 (or) 25 years guarantee that they will still be producing 80% of the original.

I've never come across a 'total failure' except where it has been smashed by a brick (or similar)

Are you sure its not just bad wiring ?

I'd put money on them not honouring this if not fitted to a standard house?

3 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

From what you say it sounds like that panel is short circuited. I would check the wiring and the panel connections on the back very carefully. There may be a diode in one connection to prevent the panel draining the battery in the dark, it could be duff.

Cheers I’ll check that in the morning, weather permitting. Not a fan of doing much with the solars when these gusts are as bad as they are. I store stuff under the panel so it’s entirely possible somethings knocked it underneath at some point. Would testing the diode be a simple continuity check?