Leaky Squirrel!

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

My only comment is that with open cells you can use a hydrometer to check the state of charge of each cell, so in a day or two, once the acid and topping up water have mixed, if the cell readings differ by more than 0.030 across the cells then you have a faulty cell (Lucas said 0.025). If you get sealed cells then you can't use a hydrometer and boater testing involves fully charging, letting it sit overnight, then noting voltage, disconnecting, letting stand for a day or so and then comparing the voltages. Both should be almost the same.

Some here have been bitten by an earlier vendor of lead carbon batteries, so are likely to be somewhat biased. Carbon can't alter the chemical processes in lead acid batteries like sulphation, but it may well mask it.  especially with sub optimum charging.

Thank you Tony. You're advice is always of the highest quality I find.

I will check the cells in a week or so once we're back in the water. I used to check and record the SG regularly but nothing ever really changed and I slipped out of the habit. Even if I do find that everything is in actually in order with this cell I think I'll get back into that habit!

Thanks also for the advice on Lead Carbon's. I deliberately held back from replacing our current batteries with these as I'm fully aware what sh1t is spouted by battery manufacturers and vendors alike.

Maybe I'll just stick with good old 6v deep cycle. I will, however, be a lot fussier about the state of them when I purchase the next time though!

Regards

Richard

• 1 month later...
On 18/03/2024 at 17:02, Tony Brooks said:

My only comment is that with open cells you can use a hydrometer to check the state of charge of each cell, so in a day or two, once the acid and topping up water have mixed, if the cell readings differ by more than 0.030 across the cells then you have a faulty cell (Lucas said 0.025). If you get sealed cells then you can't use a hydrometer and boater testing involves fully charging, letting it sit overnight, then noting voltage, disconnecting, letting stand for a day or so and then comparing the voltages. Both should be almost the same.

I finally got around to checking the SG after a few weeks of finding no difference between cell fluid levels since we got back in the water. At 100% charge 5 of the 6 cells were about 1.280, the suspect cell was about 1.250 so still in the green, just! I suppose that could be down to the fact that I boiled that cell and now it's somewhat more diluted than the rest, given that everything else seems fine. Obviously I'll keep a close eye on it but hopefully it'll last out the the year, IF we're lucky.

7 minutes ago, Richardcn said:

I finally got around to checking the SG after a few weeks of finding no difference between cell fluid levels since we got back in the water. At 100% charge 5 of the 6 cells were about 1.280, the suspect cell was about 1.250 so still in the green, just! I suppose that could be down to the fact that I boiled that cell and now it's somewhat more diluted than the rest, given that everything else seems fine. Obviously I'll keep a close eye on it but hopefully it'll last out the the year, IF we're lucky.

FWIW the "standard" difference that is acceptable between cells is 0.03 while Lucas used to say 0.025, basically you look OK for now but with a suspect more badly sulphated cell.

"Boiling" a cell should not "dilute" the acid. It would strengthen because it would be just water driven off (probably plus a very small amount of acid mist) it so when you toped up to the correct level and allowed the liquids to mix the strength should be normal. It is far more likely that some sulphur from the acid is now locked in the plates as unrecoverable lead sulphate.